Breast Cancer Community
Red Patches On Breast

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Red Patches On Breast

Ok, so about a year ago I got two or three of these little red patches on the skin of my left breast. Then a sort of scab formed over each red patch after a while and, when the scab fell off, it left a sort of hole in the skin that bled a little bit. It all healed over and everything was fine for ages but then, yesterday, I noticed another red patch on my left breast again and I'm worried it's happening again. I'm too embarrassed to go to a doctor, especially if it's only something minor but I' really scared. Please help me if you know what's wrong. I've looked up photo's of shingles and what I have looks very different.
Hi, as you have figured out pretty much, it's definitely not shingles, Shingles presents it self very differently. It sort of crosses over from one side to the other, even if only on one breast, and it really hurts.

I also do not think what you describe is not cancer related, but most likely a skin problem. I would not make an appointment with  a breast surgeon for sure, but first, (and I heard your concerns) with your PCP, and who may  then, and  after examining your patches/holes, refer you to a dermatologist if she/he feels it's indicated.

I don't think it is anything serious, Perhaps a little fungal infection that has formed from moisture that rubs against the bra, skin, and most likely the synthetic in the material of your bra unless you wear all cotton ones,

If you really want to avoid seeing a doctor at this time, I would also switch both your body and laundry soap that you have been using and keep the area very dry and perhaps cover it with a bandate,
I would also buy a tube of generic (cheaper then the brand name) of Lotrimen cream (regular strength and which you can get over the counter, Also reduce your intake of sugar.

If it is a fungal infection, you should notice improvement in a couple of  days.

What you describe, and similar lesions on the breast(s) are very common, and I do not think you need to be scared about this. but it's also cosmetically probably bothering you, along with wanting to get an answer to what exactly it is you have on your left breast.

It's always awkward and a little scary to see an MD for the first time, and especially if this involves your breasts or other intimate areas. After the first or second time, visits like that become normal.

You also should not be worried about your spots being too minor of a condition to be evaluated; it's never too minor unless you are already familiar with a problem which is the same as you have now, and know what it is, and what to do about it.

Good luck,

KATRIN
I did not say this very well in the end. I know you have had this before, and it sounds like I am saying that for that reason you should worry even less. but what I meant is that you still don't know what you had last time, and you may get this again in the future, and for that reason also you want to know what it is and how to treat it and as much related info as possible. (The latter you can do over the internet but only after you have a diagnosis) Searching the internet as you have been doing is  totally crazy making and scary making and I would leave it alone and really find out from a professional. This does not even have to be a doctor but could be a nurse practitioner.

I guess I am suggesting you do have your problem evaluated for all the above reasons.  KATRIN   let us know what happens?
Thanks for your advice, I really appreciate it and I suppose it is silly of me not to go to a doctor. I will make an appointment. My health is more important than my embarrassment. Thanks again.