Breast Cancer Community
Request for help on side effects after an excisional breast biopsy?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

A mammogram detected that I had a microcalcification back in August.  6 weeks ago I had a stereotactic biopsy that came back flat epithelial atypia (benign) but they said "abnormal", so they suggested that I have an excisional biopsy to make sure the area was clear and I had that done 4 weeks ago... I'm very thankful that it all came benign.  But, I do have a nice size lump next to my incision spot.. I don't really have any pain and the bruising is almost gone... Could this lump be scarring or could it be a hemotoma?  My doctor is not very helpful and hard to reach.. I surely would appreciate any feedback from others that have experienced anything similar.  Thanks!
I would definitely find a way to talk to the doctor (not always easy--be persistant!).  It's not exactly the same thing, but one of my biopsy sites (MRI guided) continues to hurt and looks strangely even after 2 months.  It feels hard (I'm told it can't be the clip I'm feeling) and it looks a little bit red.  It has caused more pain than the actual surgery I had following that. I know that hematomas can form, scar tissue, and who knows what--but still I think you'll feel better to get peace of mind on this. Good luck to you!
Congratulations on your benign results..... the lump you describe could be both things you mentioned. If you are very concerned about this you should definitely contact your Surgeon's office. I'm sure you could at least speak to his/her nurse for some insight to the problem. If this is actually a lump it might very well be a hematoma. This will more than likely absosrb but it takes some time. Often warm moist heat is recommended to help with this process but you should contact your Surgeon before trying any form of treatment.    Regards ....
Ditto on the congratulations for benign results!  I had an excisional biopsy done 9/9/08 and the incision area surrounding my areola was hard and lumpy until only one week ago,  It just takes time for the area to heal (as with any surgical incision(,  A hematoma is always a possibility, but if the lumpy area is not increasing in size or shows no sign of redness or irritation, it just takes time for the tissues to heal.
What was your surgeon's opinion on your post-op exam?  I would recommend you contact his office and express your concerns.  A followup appointment would help alleviate any worry regarding this problem.
Best wishes ---
Surgeon said everything looked fine in the post-op exam.  I'm not having an increase in size, redness or irritation, just hardness and lumpy outside the incision toward the nipple.  I did schedule an appt. in about a week if it still looks funny.  Thanks much for the feedback, it really helps!  Family is sick of hearing me talk about it..  I think I just freak out about all this stuff.  Take care and Happy Halloween! : )
I had the exact same thing you did -- flat epithelial atypia found with stereotactic core needle biopsy after a microcalcification cluster was seen on a mammogram, which made an wire-guided excisional biopsy necessary to rule out associated cancer. I had a painful hematoma after the SCN biopsy which was cut away during the excisional biopsy, but even though my surgery was now 2 months ago, I still have a lot of hard, lumpy tissue near the incision site.

I know from past experience with excisional biopsies that this is part of the normal healing process and time will solve the problem ... and since your surgeon thinks you are healing well, try not to worry! Eventually the lumps will resorb, the hardness will soften, and the scar will fade. Relax and enjoy the good fortune of a benign result! Kind regards...
Glad to hear that you're doing better!  It really helps to have this forum, because NO BOOK in the world could ever cover all the strange things we have to deal with!  It's good to hear that others have gone through similar experiences, and made it through.  Keep us posted.
I've made an appt. for next week to get the Dr. to check it again.. Thanks so much for the support, it really makes me feel better hearing from you girls!  : )
How was your recovery from the excisional biopsy........was it the same or more painful than the previous biopsy???  
Any feedback would be appreciated .thanks
Recovery seems a lot worse, longer with more side effects, on the excisional biopsy than the first biopsy... I still have a lump about walnut size to the side of the incision.  I go on Tuesday to see if it is ok.  It actually seems to be getting smaller and less sore.  Have you had similar biopsy issues?
Thanks for the feedback.  I will be going in for an excisional biopsy this week.  I had two previous core biopsies done and thought that would be the end all, but unfortunately it continues.   I was sore from the core biopsy so difficult to sleep , in particular the first night.  My breast was sore and i had two slight lumps , but its been a month and i can say everything is back to normal except for the two small scars where the incision was made.  I was in pain for about a week and the lumps slowly went away as did the pain.   I just wonder how much/less  pain with the excisional biopsy knowing everyone has a different tolerance for pain.    The procedure seems easier but recovery ???
I hope all goes well with your follow-up appt today.  
My surgeon said that everything looked ok and that fluid or blood can pool at the site because no stitches are there which can cause the lump.  He said stitches on the inside can cause a permanent dent in the breast.  He recommended heat on it and I did that last night, but it seems to have made it worse, more swollen, so I won't be doing that again.  I think that I just have to give it more time to heal and absorb into the body.

Good luck to you on your biopsy this week!  Take care!!
The body needs time to heal.  Initailly I was provided with frozen gel pads which I applied the first day on and off for 15 minutes.  I was given four so I could continue placing them in the freezer once they unfroze.  It helped with the swelling.  Then during ther first week I was told to apply warm heating pads around the area and that was so so.  I feel what made the difference was the positions my body was in (laying on my back where there was no pressure to the breast helped, sleeping with the bra on and sometimes providing support by holding my breast helped)  a good comfortable and supportive bra (barely there) during the day and time was what really made the difference.   So hang in there.  
I guess I will be going through the same again, can't say I hear much of a difference.  Though I have healed I will be putting my body through trauma again and re-experiencing what I did before heh, but its all worth it , because its about prevention!!!  At least we have options and lets face it a little trauma to the body now is better than to have to deal with more difficult issues had we not taken action!!!  I'll keep you updated.  Thanks for responding.
You are right!  We need to be positive, patient and thankful for the preventative measures.
Let me know how you are doing... Take care! Susan
I had the excisional biopsy yesterday and everything went well. The staff at the hospital was wonderful.  I didn't go totally under since i like to know whats going on.  So I was semi in and out . I felt good after surgery but i was starving and when they asked if I wanted water, apple juice , a regular cracker or a graham cracker...... of course I went for flavor and chose the juice and the graham cracker, but what a mistake !!! As they were taking me down on the elevator to the entrance of the hospital my stomach was turning and when I arrived home 15 minutes later I had to throw up, msotly spit up but still...anyway.   Sleeping was much better I had lots of pillows and I can honestly say the pain is not as bad as with the steriostactic core biopsy, but I'm not sure if it has to do with the anesthesia.  I've taken advil already twice when I started feeling a little tingle.......and so far so good.  Later this morning I have to remove the pads and see how bruised my breast is.  I'll keep you posted.  
Hi, so glad to hear that you came out OK!  Did they tell you to wear a bra for support?  I didn't do that and think that could be the reason for my lump of (fluid or blood) afterwards, I still have it. I woke up this morning with a "stinging" pain on my incision... Don't know what that is about.  I'm going to ask the community if anyone has had that?? Hope you have a fast recovery!  Take care!! : )
I wasen't told to wear or not wear a bra, but I can tell you the added support definetely helps.  They told me to change the padding placed after surgery with new ones which are placed inside the bra over the small bandages where the incisions are .......so I guess indirectly they were saying to keep a bra on.  The lumps you are talking about are most probably the hematama , as I understand air pockets that fill with blood because of the air that gets in when the needle went into the skin.  I had a couple of those after my first biopsy .  I would suggest warm pads over the breast and I hope you have been taking it easy?  No lifting , reaching or pulling .   I think either of those would cause healing to prolong itself.  I'm doing ok .  The pain is there at the side of by breast and  I'm taking tylenol.  I feel weak though, I get tired very easily and both appetite and sleep are poor.   My stomach has not been well....I guess its the pills.  
Hope you are doing better.  I suggest you call your doctor so he/she can make check out those lumps and make some suggestions , otherwise post the question to the community as you previously stated.             Take Care
I'm on week 8 after my biopsy and just starting to feel much better.  I'm learning a lot about PATIENCE!  Hang in there, go slow and I'm sure that you will be feeling better soon too!  I'm reading Dr. Northrup's book "The Secret Pleasures of Menopause", it has helped to cheer me up. Take care!
Its funny how life throws us curve balls at times, but that is what helps us grow!!! We learn to overcome challenges and the wise become more patient with time.   Best of all we learn to appreciate the small things in life which really have so much significance!!  
Hope you continue to do well and continue to keep your spirits up!!!!  
Hv a wonderful holiday!!!  Wish me well,  I have my post med appt tomorrow in the afternoon.
Best of luck Jan!  
I kept my appt and was told due to a disaggreement with my lab results between four specialist my case had to be sent for a review to a top oncologist in NY (Dr. Paul Peter Rosen).  Surgeon states results should be in early next week.  
Pray for me ........its hyperplasia vs DCIS  .   Thanks for yr support /Jan
Jan,

I'm saying a prayer for you now... God is the only thing that really helped me thru the waiting. Keep your hopes up!  Susan  
Thank you so much Susan!!!  I truly believe with God we have it all
Thanks for yr support.  Jan
Hope things come out well for you Jan.....prayers being said today...
Thank you
hi please tell me have you heard anything from the doctors yet
Thanks for asking.  The results were DCIS.  I am now searching and getting additional support from other websites like breastcancer.org and dcis.info I am slso looking into hospital websites like the one in NY , skcc.org .  I will now be looking at additional chat rooms related to DCIS.  Staying positive and knowing there is treatment and options always makes things easier.  Prayers for us all .  
I gave the wrong website for the hospital mskcc.org
Jan,

I just had a friend diagnosed with DCIS too.  She had the lumpectomy and radiation with almost no side effects, just a little bit tired.  She was back to her very active lifestyle in no time.  She is a positive person and surrounds herself with positive people.  I know that you will be fine!  You will remain in my prayers!

Best Regards,
Susan
I HAD A EXCISIONAL BIOPSY DONE ON NOV 26TH AND RESULTS WERE BENIGN HAS ANYONE ON HERE HAD SIDE EFFECTS MY NIPPLE IS BLEEDING ALITTLE CAN'T GET IN CONTACT WITH THE SURGEON PLEASE TELL ME IF THIS IS NORMAL
Susan
thanks for yr prayers ... I'm researching and will be going for consultations with other surgeons.  I have multiple areas in my rt breast where DCIS was found therefore the masectomy may be the best route for me, but we shall see.  I will remain positive .
Thanks again ...what city are you in??    
Were u able to reach yr surgeon ?  Hope all is well.   If you weren't  able to reach the surgeon call the facility and speak to another surgeon or specialist there for advice.
Have u been bleeding since the biopsy or is that recent??  Go to breastcancer.org for possible info .