Breast Cancer Community
Should i have biopsy or get second opinion first?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

I had a diagnostic mammogram followed by an ultrasound.  Mammo says there's a "nodularity in the subareolar region with calcified density.  Unltrasound showed a nodular density with calcifications in the subareolar region with irregular margins and was lobulated and was suspicious." BI-RADS class 4.  I'm scheduled to see a surgeon Tuesday to have a pre-biopsy appointment.  I'm scared to death based on everything I've read. But I'm just wondering if I should get a second reading of the mammogram and ultrasound (or a second mammogram and ultrasound) prior to having a biopsy.
I personally wouldn't waste any time with a second opinion ... from what you stated here the findings indicate that a biopsy is needed and that's pretty much all there is to that. I'm not sure what part of the reading you have doubts about since both types of imagery seem to agree 100%. Biopsies are not recommended without absolute necessitity. Please see the Surgeon and go from there. Your films should be available to him/her; not just the reports. Regards ..
Do you know anything about the terminology and language?  Just based on the research I've done (I know the internet is not medical counsel), this just doesn't sound very promising that I will be pleased with the outcome of a biopsy.  I feel like every strike is against me, based on the wording of the report and what I've read online.  Very disturbed.  Trying to maintain the positive attitude by saying to myself that only 20% of those with BI-RADS 4 classing comes back positive for cancer, but it's very difficult.
And, Thank you very much for your response.  I apologize for failing to acknowledge this in my previous post.
Yes, I might know some of the terminology ..... if you are referring to the terminology in your initial post. Not sure what part but here goes ... a nodule would be small (not a mass), irregular margins I'm sure you know but any time something is noted to have irregular margins it only raises suspicion but doesn't necessarily mean cancerous, noted to be lobulated would appear like a bunch of grapes. This density is located under the areloa or behind it. Of course they also mention calcifications which develop and are an indication that something abnormal is present.
It is difficult to stay on the positive side because we always seem to want to see the darker side of things .... it's only natural since we are human after all. Just do your best and get this Surgical appointment behind you and then on to the biopsy that will give you the answers. Take care now and please let us know how the appnt. works out and write down some of the many questions/concerns you must have and take it to the Surgeon's office .... speak up and don't leave without the answers.  Regards ......