Breast Cancer Community
Skip the biopsy?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Skip the biopsy?

I'm only 25 and there is no history of breast cancer in my family, but about two months ago I found a lump on my right breast.  The lump is up against my chest wall, hard, feels smooth, and doesn't really move when pushed on.  I saw my doctor and got an ultrasound and mammogram, which did not detect a mass to correspond with what can be felt.  The advice was to wait a month and seek surgical consultation if there was no change.  The month passed and there was not change so my doctor referred me to a surgeon.  The surgeon feels that the mass is unlikely to be cancerous but wants to remove the lump.  His reasoning is that even if the lump is not cancerous if I leave it in there it may result in lumps being missed in the future.  I nodded and agreed to surgery next Friday but I don't feel ok with this.  I understand his concern, but a lumpectomy seems a bit drastic, especially at my young age.  I expected him to suggest fine needle aspiration to determine if there are suspicious cells.  Is it common to skip straight to a lumpectomy?  Could he have decided this was necessary because the size of the lump (about 2 cm in diameter)?

I know it's awful to be vain in this situation but the lump is at about the 1 to 2 o'clock position on my breast and a scar would probably show in any kind of low neckline.  This isn't the only reason I object of course but I hate the thought of having a scar there if it isn't really necessary.
1 Comment
If there was no indication on US or Mammogram that the lump was suspicious for cancer I would think going directly to lumectomy is a reasonable recommendation. If you really object that much you could just leave it alone and do nothing. You should discuss in detail your concerns with the surgeon. As far as the scar goes .... I doubt there will be much of a scar after some time has passed; they usually fade if given enough time. If it doesn't suit you there is always Plastic surgery and scar revision. I wouldn't worry about being vain ... you can be as vain as you want to be ... it's your body. Get serious with your surgeon and don't be shy about voicing your concerns.