Breast Cancer Community
Sores on my areola

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Sores on my areola

Hello everyone.  I have been having a little problem for the past 8 days.  On 2-8-07 I noticed a sore on my areola at the base of my nipple (left breast).  This really freaked me out since I have no idea how it got there.  I waited a few days and it seemed to get worse and not better.  The sore was about pea sized, red around the edges, yellow/white in the middle, with a little oozing.  I went to the doctor on 2-13-07 and was prescribed the antibiotic Keflex to take 4 times a day for 10 days for the "skin infection".  That night I noticed there was another one and I lost it.  I went back to the doctor and they took a culture and the results won't be back until Monday 2-19-07.  I have NEVER had anything like this before and don't know what to think.  The doctor wants me to have a mammogram on 2-23-07 and then follow-up with a breast specialist on 2-26-07.  My grandma had breast cancer.  I'm guessing they don't want to take any chances.  Has anyone ever had anything like this or have any advise to give??  Everytime I do research on the internet regarding this it really makes me worry.  Any advise or comments would be appreciated!  Thank you!!!
-6 Comments
I have not experienced the same thing, but it sounds  like your doctor is taking all the right steps. It could just be a duct infection. Good luck with your tests and let us know how you're doing.
Hello, never have done this before.  hope I am doing this correct.  I am 44 years old.  I have a spot that showed up about 10 days ago and I just thought maybe it was a spider bite or something.  It blistered and oozed and now it is a knot very close to my right nipple.  I wasn't too concerned until a second one showed up about two days ago, it has also blistered and popped and now is turning into a knot about 1 to 1 1/2 away from the first one.  I have made an appointment with my OB-GYN.  I am about 5'4 about 128 and a D cup with very dense breast tissue and have a history of breast cancer with maternal grandmother.  Although this probably isn't related does anyone have any ideas?
I have what you've described.  Mine started with areola's on breasts, itching.  Next I got a nice size sore on right areola of breast.  As you can't really scratch that area, I just move my lower arms up/down across the area, which really doesn't help.  The itching started about a month ago, the sore about 2 weeks ago, and I have an app't with Ob/Gyn doctor tomorrow, 11/24/08.  I know it's scary after reading all the symptoms of breast cancer, not to mention the statistics on getting it.  But, lets hope for the best.  Maybe a duct infection that can be cleared up with anti-bioltics.  No clue.  Have never had anything like this before.  I'm 60 years young, have MS, and don't need anymore health problems.  I'll say a prayer for the both of us.
A related discussion, Breast was started.