Breast Cancer Community
Speed of treatment, masectomy before or after chemo

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

So I have high grade triple neg breast cancer, possibly medullar type. I am 34 with a 2 year old so aggressive treatment is a given. I just met with the surgeon and oncologist yesterday. The cancer was discovered after removal f a lump (1.8 to 2 cm) was removed that the original surgeon thought was a fibroademona. The MRI and mammogram yesterday do not show any cancer and neither did the PET scan. I am having genetic testing and am not so attached to my breasts that I mind a double masectomy. But it takes time to get that approved and then there is the 3 wk recovery time that postpones starting chemo until about end of January. This worries me. Whe I asked, they said that they could re-excise the breast, remove some more tissue to get clearer margins, and check the lymph nodes. Then I could get chemo and have a masectomy after if I am positive for the BRCA 1 gene. How I Portland is it that I get started now versus take an extra 2-3 weeks? What is the recovery time for a lumpectomy (how soon could I start chemo), and is there an increased risk of complications having a masectomy after chemo rather than before? And what is the risk of recurrence in the same breast if I am neg for the gene? I appreciate any help as this is a very very stressful time.
1 Comment
This is truly a complicated matter but Radiation is the treatment that has to be delayed after surgery as this inhibits the healing process greatly. I don't see the delay however with Chemo. I think I would try to get a second opinion from another Oncologist and I would think that your Drs. would be perfectly comfortable with that. Even my Surgeon offered this choice to me before surgery. As far as how soon you could begin Chemo after a lumpectomy, this would be at the discretion of your Oncologist. I would request another "sit down" discussion (with the Oncologist) and get some firm answers about the timing and also ask about a second opinion as there are still some "IF,S" to consider here.  Regards ....