Breast Cancer Community
Tamoxifen and fibroids question

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Tamoxifen and fibroids question

My sister had surgery recently found out her tumor was both estrogen and progesterone positive. I think the oncologist will put her on Tamoxifen but she also has  rather large fibroid tumors. Will the Tamoxifen cause the fibroids to grow and give her problems?  I have read that Tamoxifen can cause abnormal bleeding and endometrial cancer. She is 50 yo and not in menopause.
1 Comment

You should talk to your oncologist in detail about your sister's case.

Tamoxifen is a Selective Estrogen Receptor Modulator (SERM) which means it blocks estrogen in certain areas of the body and acts like estrogen in other areas of the body. Discuss with your doctor about the option of a hysterectomy, in view of the fibroid. There is an increased risk of uterine cancer associated with Tamoxifen, this is uncommon, but should be considered.

For most women who are considered good candidates for tamoxifen, its anti–breast cancer benefits usually outweigh the risks that it could contribute to development of an endometrial cancer or uterine sarcoma.

Let us know what her specialist advises and also if you have any other doubts.

Regards.