Breast Cancer Community
Ultrasound Results Confusing!!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Ultrasound Results Confusing!!

RIGHT BREAST ULTRASOUND:
HX: Abnormal mammogram, right periareolar lesion.

I had a mammogram on July 29th, 08, & there were suspicious findings, (Abnormal mammogram, right periareolar lesion). Was then sent for an ultrasound. Now ultrasound results say: right breast ultrasound demonstrates right supraareolar cyst measuring 0.8x 0.3 x 1.5cm. This is believed to correspond with mammogram. Additionally, there is a hypoechoic lesion right breast 12 o'clock position measuring 0.5 x 0.22 x 0.54cm. This smaller region is not a cyst. Right axillary lymph nodes measure 0.7 x 0. 9cm

IMPRESSION:

RIGHT PERIAREOLAR CYST BELIEVED TO CORRESPOND WITH DOMINANT MAMMOGRAPHIC LESION. ADDITIONALLY, THERE IS SMALL HYPOECHOIC RIGHT BREAST LESION AT 12 O'CLOCK POSITION. CLOSE INTERVAL FOLLOW-UP FOUR MONTHS OR ULTRASOUND.
I am seeing a surgeon tomorrow as it states: GUIDED BIOPSY RECOMMENDED!
Can anyone tell me if they know what these terms mean because I am a nervous wreck who already has bad anxiety attacks. Thanks for any help anyone can offer me because I cannot eat sleep or even function not knowing what this all means. :(
Hi!
I can only share with you my recent experience:  routine yearly screening mammogram done late August which was deemed in need of further evaluation.  Had ultrasound exam done the following week in which two small hypoechoic lesions were found.  This was followed by two ultrasound guided core biopsies which identified intraductal papillomas, usually a benign lesion, but considered "high risk" with need for them to be totally excised for final pathology.  Had the excisions done yesterday and have had minimal discomfort.  Final pathology report will be available in 2-3 days, but my surgeon feels that they are more than likely benign.  
The whole process for me was done in a matter of weeks, so very little time to become overly anxious (although 10% of my brain did entertain notions of "what if it is cancer".)  The guided biopsy is a very simple procedure and they do numb your breast with a local anesthetic so not very uncomfortable.  
If you want any additional info, feel free to send me a private message and I can give you more detail.
I had some very caring and dedicated doctors and nurses who made the whole experience less terrifying and I think it calmed me immensely.  I hope you have the same situation unfold for you!
I am hoping one of our md's will drop by and offer an opinion.  The technical terms from diagnostic reports are out of my scope of knowledge.  I can, however relate to the anxiety of waiting for results.  It's very very hard.  If your dr. has prescribed anything for anxiety attacks,  you may check with him/her and see if it would be appropriate to take something to help you with your present level of anxiety.  On my "about me" section on my profile, I recommend a book that's wonderful to help one during high anxiety times of waiting.  Check it out!  And good luck.  I'll be hoping and waiting to see how it goes.

Chris

I too had a similar situation what you have today. I went for 2 mammograms and one ultra sound and one ultrasound guided biopsy and at last it came out to be the Fibroadenoma. Mine was I 2.3 cm uneven and bumpy lump cause all these suspicion. So, going for the US guided biopsy is not uncommon and at the same time it has a meaning in it.

The method I followed while waiting for the results is—

“Now I’m living with the hope and later I have to live with the fact. So, let’s enjoy my hope period before I reach the fact period.”

It worked for me allot and wish it would work for you too.

I’ll pray for you. I’m sure god will answer the prayers.