Breast Cancer Community
Was told I have a Microcalcification in right breast

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

I am so worried I have not had a mamo for 2 years and went in last week for one. The report came back Amorphous microcalcification in upper right outer quadrant. I went back in for mag view and the doctor came in and said we dont know what it is so we need to do a sterotatic biopsy. She said the are is a cluster the size of  a grain of salt. I am very worried cant think straight and cannot stop searching the net for info on these. I pray it is not the cancer. any one had this type of diag on there mamo.
Hi there,
Many microcalcifications,even if clustered are found to be benign in nature.
Only a biopsy can tell you for sure if there is an underlying problem...and if there is,it's not the end of the world,since it's caught at a very early stage and very curable.
I can surely understand the anxiety you are feeling right now, knowing that something could be wrong,but please try to think positive ..Things might turn up to be just fine like so many other women who are or have been in your same situation.
So many women (Including me) find that the worst part in all of this, is the waiting for the biopsy pathologist's results .It could take from 4 to 7 days for the report to reach your doctor...
Try your best to keep as busy as you can during that time and the waiting will hopefully seem shorter and more bearable.
I wish you all the best and I hope you'll get good results.
Take care...
Hey,
Try not to worry.  Up to 85% of biopsies come back benign.  When the Radiologist can't tell for sure that microcalcifications are benign, the only way to tell is to send a bit of tissue to the Pathologist.  I work as a Mammo Tech, and do these types of biopsies daily.  Everyone fears the worst, but the procedure really isn't all that bad.  Most of our patients ask when we are going to start the procedure, and we are already done!! :)  
I have had the biopsy done, and it wasn't bad at all.  Waiting for the pathology results is the worst of it, but results should only take a few days.
Try to keep a positive attitude, as many, many women go thru this daily.  And even if it does come back with a diagnosis of cancer, know that it is caught early, and pat yourself on your back for getting your mammogram done!  
Best wishes on a negative diagnosis!  
I am in the very same position today as I wait for the results of my stereotactic biopsy. Even have the microcalcs in the same breast and position as you...my very first mammogram. I am silently terrified, but have been reassured by my doctor, radiologist and every health care professional I have come within five feet of that the odds are in my favor and to remain positive. It's really great advice as most of these conditions are benign or caught at a very early stage, which is great.
Stay positive!!
i have the same problem with you. I had my previous mammo 1-1/2 yrs ago from another radiologist. The letter i received that time was normal. But when i requested my old films to bring it to my new radiologist for my addt'l magnify views yesterday i read the findings from my previous films that i have grain of salt on my upper right breast. Now, my new rediologist informed me that i need a biopsy for further examination although she mentioned that 85% chance of benign. My concern now is that i have breast pain in my right breast & ribs pain close to my breast. Is this a symptoms of malignant?
add'tl question. I had pain before when i carry heavy load without wearing a bra.
My path report came back as
collumnar cell lesion with focal microcalcifications
incidential finidngs lobular carcinoma in situ
my docs wanted to give me a lumpectomy for this which there is no lump to remove then radiation and tamox for 5 years.
I had a second opinon with a well know breast surgeon and she is giveing me a mri noxt month  and another mamo in nov its a watch and wait thing.
oh i forgot to add it aslo ER positive
I'm sorry to hear your pathology came back LCIS.  It sounds like your doctors are treating you with extra caution which is good!  Are you having the MRI and then the lumpectomy or waiting to see what the next mammo reveals?
A lumpectomy is basically where your surgeon will remove a larger amount of tissue around the LCIS site (there doesn't have to be a "lump" you feel).  A needle biopsy only gets a small sample of tissue, so there are usually remaining abnormal cells in the breast.
Good luck with your MRI and followup mammo!  You will be fine, it sounds like you have a good team looking out for you!
is amorphous worst than clustered?