Breast Cancer Community
What is the risk of breast cancer with Premarin Cream

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

I am 60 years old, post menopausal, in excellent health, and take no hormones, since I have no sypmtoms-no hot flashes, etc.   I am at very high risk for breast cancer, because of my family history.  My mother died of it recently after an on and off 24 year battle with it, her brother had a mastectomy, and several cousins had,  or now have breast cancer.   My gynocologist perscribed Premarin Cream for vaginal dryness.   She said since it is absorbed locally, the risk of breast cancer is very small.   But my pharmacist thinks I should not use it.     So I'm confused.     Vaginal dryness is a real problem for me, but I don't want to correct one problem, and create another - especially a life threatening one.   What do you think?  
1 Comment
Ultimately, this a judgment call that only you can make, taking into account your particulalar set of circumstances, and after weighing the conflicting advice you have received.

Dr. Susan Love, a well-known breast cancer specialist and researcher,  has discussed this issue, in regard to both vaginal creams and the vaginal tablet (Vagifem) that is also prescribed, in her replies to questions e-mailed to her. You might want to check out the archive of e-mail Q&As on her Web site, www.dslrf.org. (I'm not going to paraphrase her comments, out of concern that I might not fully capture the important points.)

If you decide not to use one of the vaginal hormone preparations, there are some over-the-counter products that may help  vaginal dryness. (See the suggestions made by me and others in response to an earlier post by Tina7, on 8/12/09, entitled "Possible tamoxifen side effect? in pain...")

Best wishes...