Breast Cancer Community
Wound care after lumpectomy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Wound care after lumpectomy

We didn't get any directions about what to do to care for the wound after my lumpectomy on Monday.  After the biopsy, the women's center was very diligent about after care--had to go back to have the bandage removed, check for hematoma, and get directions on what else to do.  Not so with this surgery.  Should I just do the same as with the biopsy--neosporin and cover with gauze to protect clothing?  Or do you just leave it alone?

My followup appointment with the surgeon is not until Nov. 12.  I could ask his office staff, but, frankly, they don't know much about anything except scheduling appointments.

Thanks in advance!
Do you have a drain or is it just your stitches that you are wondering about?
No drain...just stiches.
Well when my mother had her surgery she had a drain as well, but as far as the wound I cleaned it with peroxide and then put antibiotic ointment on it and covered it back up so her bra wouldn't irritate it.  I hope that helps!
I had a lumpectomy done 6 weeks ago.  The stitches remained in for one week and were removed on the first postop exam with my surgeon.  After the surgery there was a bandage in place which I was told to remove after 48 hrs.  There were steri-strips around the incision which I was instructed to just let fall off on their own (did not need to protect them when showering etc.)
I wore a sports bra 24/7 for the first three days which helped provide support and eased some of the minor discomfort I experienced.  I was told to examine the incision area for any signs of redness or inflammation which could be signs of infection.  I had some minor bruising and the incision area remained hard and somewhat "lumpy" to touch for several weeks as the tissue healed.
Now, 6 weeks postop I have no problems and only a small "dip" in my breast tissue.
Thankfully, my results were benign intraductal papillomas which required no further treatment as no malignancy was found.  I hope you have the same good results!
Best wishes for an uneventful recovery ---
A related discussion, First lumpectomy, then infection, now inflammation was started.