Breast Cancer Community
accuracy of mammogram and ultrasound

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

accuracy of mammogram and ultrasound

For some reason I can not trust the mammogram and ultrasound tests to detect breast cancers.  In 1997 I had two tumors in my breast and I'd done two mammograms and one ultrasound and they both suggested that there was nothing other than a benign cysts. but in 1998 and when I insisted that these two cysts be removed whether they are benign or not, it appeared that it was a cancer (D.In. grade 2).   Now I think I'm having the same problem which I hope not, but I have a mammogram done and it showed something not normal in my breast so the doctor ordered an ultrasound  and another mammogram to confirm the results, again these two procedures stated that what had been seen in the first mammogram was nothing other than two cysts and my doctor talked to me as if the matter was nothing and she suggested another mammogram after one year.  Is it OK for me to wait a whole one year for another mammogram or should I ask for a referral to a surgeon and have these two cysts removed. Since I heard this news I couldn't have my life back on track and I don't know what I should do.

thanks
suha

This discussion is related to 2 different interpretations of CT scan?.
No it is not,  It's related to mammogram and ultrasound.
what about having your tests at a different facility? Or, ask that they be read by a second Radiologist. If you have such serious doubts I would take my films to someone else for evaluation. You might insist on a biopsy if you are so sure that these are not cysts. If I had the doubts and concerns you seem to have I would start looking for another PHysician too.