Breast Cancer Community
black fluid

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

black fluid

I have recently started to produce black discharge from my left breast spontaniousley. sometimes there is quite a lot and others there is nothing at all. I have gone to see my doctor and she has found a hardened area behind the nipple, which I did not realise was there before. I noticed that my breast felt slightly different from the other when i examined them but could not pin point the reason why. I'm only 25 and it has been 3 years since I had a baby and there is no possibility of me being pregnant. My breast is not red or sore to touch and otherwise does not cause me any other problems. Does anyone have any idea what could be causing this?

I honestly have never heard of a black discharge coming from the nipple. I think I would  do exactly what you're already doing. I am the queen of worrying and stressing out! Thank you for your reply to my post; it actually made me feel better. Good luck with the labs and getting in to get a needle biopsy. Mine is on the 10th of this month. Please keep in touch and let us know what the out come is.

A nipple discharge that is coming spontaneously that is without stimulation; is black in colour and is associated with a ? lump in the nipple area needs to be investigated further.

You should see your doctor immediately; the nipple discharge would be sent for lab infection to find out a possible cause. The doctor would probably advise a mammogram or ultrasound to see the hardened area.

If the lesion seems suspicious your doctor might want to do a needle aspiration from the site. You would need to discuss this in detail with your doctor. A ductogram is also advised sometimes to find out the cause of nipple discharge.

A nipple discharge could be due to hormonal changes, pituitary gland tumours, OCP or HRT ; certain medications and in some cases malignant causes.

Hope this helps.
Do let us know how you are doing.
Good luck.
hi,
I've been to see the doctor - she was the one who discovered the lump. she has taken a swab of the discharge and it has come back clear for infection. i'm not taking any medication but i have had a blood test to establish my prolactin levels. What significance does the prolactin level have in terms of medical conditions associated with the breast? i know that it's the hormone that is abundant in breast feeding but would it be present in any other conditions?

It good to know that no infection was detected. The blood prolactin levels being high would be the cause of the nipple discharge.

High prolactin levels seen secondary to certain drugs, medications, pituitary tumours or otherwise can cause nipple discharge.

Do let us know when the reports come in.
Keep us updated about how you are doing.
Hope this helps.
Good luck.