breakthrough bleeding
After 2 and a half years on tamoxifen (following DCIS treatment consisting of lumpechtomy and radiation) I experienced breakthrough bleeding.I underwent an endometrial biopsy which yielded a normal result.I am reluctant to restart the tamoxifen .A repeat of the bleeding will necessitate a D & C.How should I proceed?I am 58 years old and regularly undergo mammograms and annually have an MRI.

This discussion is related to quitting tamoxifen.
Hi there.

This is really a common complication of tamoxifen, but what we are worried about is the very small but significant number of patients who may have an increased risk of developing endometrial cancer from tamoxifen use.

I surmise that you are already in menopause, and data shows that you can derive benefit from switching to a different class of drugs known as the aromatase inhibitors, specifically Exemestane or Aromasin.  This drug does not increase the risk for endometrial cancer, and also has less effect on the cardiovascular system.

Regards.