Breast Cancer Community
breast swollen and larger than the other

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

I am a bit terrified 20 years old. Yesterday I noticed pain in both of my breasts, similar to that one when PMS kicks in, I had trouble sleeping on my belly because of it. Today I saw that the right one got larger than the other, it seems swollen, hurts when I touch it, there are no lumps or nipple changes. It scares me because it never occured before, and my period should start in two weeks from now.
Did anyone have same or similar experience that turned out to be nothing?
Hi there,
This pain,including swelling in one or both breasts, could very well be related to hormonal fluctuation with respect to your menstrual cycle.
Pain can be due to many benign causes,(including pregnancy) and it's rarely associated with cancer,particularly if the pain occurs in both your breasts.Fibrocystic breasts condition,breast infection,oral contraceptive pills,tight clothing could cause similar pain.
Avoiding foods and beverages containing caffeine, such as coffee, tea, chocolate and soft drinks, can decrease water retention and may help to alleviate the discomfort.
For the time being,you could take some over the counter pain relief medications,but if the pain still persists after your period is over, you would need to see your doctor for a detailed clinical examination.I really doubt that your problem is a serious one,however it's better to make sure, so you can find out the cause of your breast pain.okay?.
Best wishes and I hope you feel better soon.....
thank you so much!