Breast Cancer Community
breat cancer reconstrut- urgetn- need to mkae decision now.

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

i have breast cancer and need a mastectomy. I am trying to figure out if I should go silacone and tummy tuck which would give them the skin but not be as invasive and the trim flap which takes your stomach muscle and an artery. yes I would have to pay for the tummy tuck but that way I would not have to wait months for the surgery. I live in Florida and do not want to deal with al the fake add ons for a long time. stage three also have lympnodes removed.
question: anyone who has had the flap. how has it really effected your muscles. im 45 and use my muscles alot. is it lower or upper muscle? Does it effect virginal muscles at all? Meeting with surgeon next week and only have a week to make the decisions or I will have to have more chemo. very aggressive cancer.
You might want to consider DIEP Flap reconstruction.

"DIEP flap breast reconstruction results in the creation of a "natural" breast without muscle removal.
Certain advantages of this flap are ----
No abdominal hernia or weakness
No muscle bulge from twisting or folding of the rectus muscle
Very healthy (good blood supply) piece of flesh
Low lying (tummy tuck) abdominal incision
Lesser insult to body --shorter hospital stay & quicker return to function
Can be done at the same time as the mastectomy "

Best wishes...
p.s. If you  search for a thread started by sinottra, "trans-flap," 11/08/09, you will find more discussion regarding reconstruction procedures, including comments by members who have had  DIEP Flaps.
I worry that you are under too much time pressure with all this, and that you really won't have the necessary time and space to comfortably make this decision, or even have a second opinion?

I realize you are not specifically asking this question, but I am wondering if perhaps it may be worth considering just having the mastectomy for now and waiting about the other?

I myself also had very aggressive breats cancer, stage 3, and I did not have the oprion to have reconstructive surgery of any  kind at the time and immediately. Then, a few months later I knew what I wanted but my PCP reused to allow me to have it because I have some other medical problems and she was worried about wound healing and tols me I had to be in better shape first; then there was a second problem the second time.

but the point of my telling you this is that I totally changed my mind and decided to have nothing gone at all and I am truly so happy with my decision now and which is really all I want, nothing.

I got fitted got a breast prothesis and was in love with it for half a day and then never used it again. I do realize you are in Florida, but do keep in mind that these reconstructive surgeries are a bery big and painful and long deal even under the best of circumstances, and  I don't even want to think about those stories I hear as they relate to the worst and less that worse circumstances.

I personally also felt better being able to watch the healing and progress of my disease for a while with clear vision.

Katrin
I had the Diep flap 6 months ago at NYU with Dr. Chio.  It is micro-surgery and not performed by all PS.  I had a great recovery - no muscle involvement with a flat stomach and no foreign tissue to deal with.  It was an 8 hour procedure with 4 days in the hospital but when I got home I was able to walk steps.  I am not sure there are doctors doing this procedure in Florida.  Please do major research to make sure you have a qualified surgeon who has years of experience and a very low failure rate with Diep reconstruction.
Rosalie
I decided to have no muscle involvoment. My surgeon in ann arbor mi can eith do the DIEP of implants.
Good luck with your surgery.  Which ever you choose will be the right one for you.  If you would like to speak to me to get some further information on what to expect and what to have in your house when you come home after Diep  surgery please feel free to call. 561-623-7481.  I got great advice from someone before my surgery and it was very helplful.
Rosalie
I just sent you a private message.Please check your "inbox" at the top of the page,on your right.