Breast Cancer Community
caffeine and microcalcifications

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

caffeine and microcalcifications

I have always had fibrocystic breasts along with my 3 sisters. Year now they request diagnostic mammogram and nothing is there.   I use to be totally decaffienated but now owning a new business I find myself drinking a cup of tea or coffee and 1 or 2 sodas daily.
   My most recent mamo sent me back for a dia and with an ulta sound at which time they have found some microcalcifictions.  A radio & surgeon have recommedned a sterotopic biops,y which w/ my insur. will cost 3,000.  I can't do it until the end of July due to a big com-mittment.  A  friend told me her neighbors breast specialist said it could be caffiene and she stop drinking it and they have gone away on their own.
Is this possible that they are related to her caffiene use? or is it just a cooincidence?  there is no history of any breast cancer in my huge family just one case 20 yrs ago of the slow growing hogkins
thxs beth
Microcalcifications are tiny depostis of calcium in the breast tissue which are usually benign but need to be investigated to rule out cancer. They are usually a cause of concern if they are clustered or associated with family history of breast cancer.(which luckily you don't have)
The cause of these calcifications occurring is not well defined and it cannot be prevented from happening or predicted about its happening.I don't know if eliminating caffeine could make these calcifications disappear (I doubt it),but avoiding it could certainly do no harm.
Many biopsies done on microcalcifications return a benign finding though,and you shouldn't be overly worried...Also waiting for a biopsy till July,is not too long await.
You can also contact your local department of health and human services or department of social work (should be in the phone book because in major cities, there are medical facilities that will take fees on a sliding scale based on income or have plans for people who do not have adequate insurance coverage.These offices should know where you can obtain medical care in your area so your biopsy can be done earlier if you wish .
Best wishes and I hope that your biopsy will be uneventful with a BENIGN result.
I don't think caffeine is related.
hummm... I'll have to do some research on this one as I have a habit of drinking a pot of coffee a day (regular; not decaf); and, I have multiple microcal clusters!
Hi there,
If you find anything about caffeine and microcalcification connection,I would like to know about it, if you don't mind sharing the information.
All I know is that excessive caffeine intake, may cause fluctuations in hormone levels, which could lead to breast cysts (fibrocystic breast changes) and breast pain,but avoiding it to make microcalcification disappear? I would say hummm too..
I hope that you are doing quite well..and don't drink so much coffee! LOL...
...hello and thanks for the wise advice, zouzi.
I think of it as a pleasure; but it's really a longstanding weakness... an addiction, if you will, that started during my college years. Anyway, I'll definitely post whatever relevant info I find. Take care, "i"