dcis and nipple discharge
Six years ago on a routine mam they found an early stage of dcis. Had a lumpectomy and 6 weeks of radiation. Last Dec. when I had my mam they noticed microcalcifications in duct on the same side. Tried to take tamoifin but it made me very sick. the Dr. suggested surgery a double myst because of my history of breast cancer on my fathers side and my own. Told me it could be a precurser of it turning into cancer. now i have been getting discharge from that breast, its been another year? Any suggestions?
Nipple discharge is normal and quite common if the breasts are squeezed and it's rarely a sign of breast cancer.
However if it comes out without any stimulation,is persistant, appears pink, bloody, watery or dark,it could indicate an underlying problem such as a papilloma or DCIS recurrence .
Please consult your doctor soon,for a clinical examination.Since you have a history of breast cancer,you should be extra vigilant.You stated that your doctor recommended a double mastectomy due to your family and personal history of BC ,but you don't say if you actually followed his/her recommendation and had the operation.If you did, it would significantly reduce the risk of recurrence and the discharge could be due to a benign condition,but if you didn't have the surgery,the nipple discharge could indicate a problem that should be investigated..
Best wishes...
Thanks so much for the reply.  No I didnt have the surgery yet. Depending on what he has to say about this could make my decision.  Didnt really know if I should have a double with no previous prob with the right side. The surgeon also rec the double when I met with him. Went to a diff Dr. in Green Bay and he took a wait and see attitude. But that was before the discharge.  I did make an appt. next Mon. with the Dr. from here.
You welcome,
Depending on risks, double mastectomies for DCIS are usually done for prevention.Each case must be evaluated individually,based on the specifics regarding this disease.
I am glad you made an appointment to see your doctor,and I hope that the nipple discharge is nothing serious.
Take care...