Breast Cancer Community
density on mammogram

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

density on mammogram

I am 54 years old and had a mammogram 2 weeks ago which showed a small density on one view.  There is no palpable mass in the breast.  I was asked to return this week so they could take additional images.  In the additional imaging the density continued to show up on only one view of the mammogram.  They did an ultrasound and could not find the density.  I am going back next week and they will try to do a needle biopsy guided by ultrasound.  Since they were unable to find the density on ultrasound, they may be unable to find it to do the needle biopsy.  I'm hoping I'm dealing with a false positive reading.  Am I being too optomistic to think that the fact that it only appears on one view of the mammogram, is not palpable and does not appear on ultrasound are signs that I am at low risk for a malignancy.  I don't want to wait 6 months for another mammogram if this is something I should be worried about.  I worked for an oncology surgeon who I am still in touch with.  Should I give him a call if they are unable to do the needle biopsy and ask him to look at my films?  
One can never be too optimistic or too positive.

It's really hard to define what will and won't be malignant or benign until further tests are conducted.

I would be gravely concerned about the accuracy of the procedure if the ultra-sound failed to pick up the density (presumably micro-calcifications) the first time.

It's possible that an early breast cancer has been detected.

You should not be asked to wait six months.  They should continue with testing/ surgery until a diagnosis is found.

Calling the oncology surgeon would be your decision.  I think if one still had unanswered questions and trusted and respected this other individual then they would.  I think in certain situations you draw on all your available resources.
I think I would give the first group of individuals a chance first.  Biopsying something when you can't see or locate it sounds a bit dodgy though.

J
I agree with everything that "J" said, above.
It's always a cause for concern whenever an abnormality appears on a mammogram. But, whether or not it's cancerous can only be determined by undergoing a biopsy and waiting for the pathology findings. From personal experiance (I've had both surgical and needle biopsies on my right breast), I find the 6 month "wait and see" approach to be virtually intolerable! I just can't see waiting a 6 month period without knowing whether or not I had Cancer. As for consulting the oncologist who you know, I suppose that it would do you no harm seek his advice and insights on this. I think that you should pursue this until you have a conclusive answer about the nature of the density.