Breast Cancer Community
fibrous breast tissue

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

fibrous breast tissue

I have been told by my doctors that I have very lumpy breast as I have fibrocystis breasts. I have also a lot of scar tissue from a breast reduction. I have in the past couple years come across this lump in my breast that the doc seems to think is fibrous tissue. But what I am confused about is the fact that it is not moveable. I thought fibrous tissue should be moveable. Or is it sometimes not movable?
one more thing is it possible that lumps due to fibrocytic breast the same lump could stay in the same place for years?
If you have a lump in your breast that's been there for a couple of years,I doubt that it's a cancerous lump. If your doctor isn't sure,I would advise you to see a breast surgeon or breast specialist for additional evaluation.
In my opinion,I wouldn't be satisfied with the doctors saying that's "it's maybe fibrous tissue". I would, if I were you, request a biopsy since this procedure is the only way to find out the true nature of this lump.
You don't say if you had a mammogram/ultrasound or other test done, and what was your BI-RADS score reported on these tests.
Lumpiness is not the same as having a dominant lump.
When fatty breast tissue is damaged by injury to the breast or surgery, as you have had,the formation of a round, firm lump may develop called Fat necrosis which is also more common in women with large breasts.
A breast specialist,after examining you and maybe order some more tests, may decide to either watch this lump or to remove it surgically.
Take care and my best wishes to you...
I have been examined a few times by my doc and my gyn. I had a mamogram (mammogram) done about 9 years ago. I have always known I had fibrocystic breasts as do most the women in my family. My doc has told me he was sure it was fibrocystic tissue. What I was wondering is it possible that frbrocystic breast tissue is not always moveable?
Fibrocystic breasts may actually appear as dense breast tissue on mammogram which is very common for younger women.According to the National Cancer Institute, this condition is characterized by overall lumpiness and a ropy or grainy texture, rather than one single lump. If the breasts are cystic ( fluid filled cysts), this would show best on ultrasound.These cysts will appear soft,movable and they are benign in nature.Fibroadenomas are movable solid benign lumps also,but have to be evaluated further to make sure that they are indeed Fibroadenomas.
You stated that the lump in your breast is not movable and in my opinion the only way to give a correct diagnosis is to have this lump biopsied.Mammogram cannot make a specific diagnosis of fibrocystic breast condition.The term Fibrocystic breast condition is often used a bit loosely, to describe women with generally lumpy and tender breasts, especially when the lumpiness and tenderness increases premenstrually.
If your doctors told you that they are sure that this lump is fibrocystic tissue,without the benefit of a biopsy or at the very least order either a mammogram or ultrasound,then there isn't much I can add to reassure you about the nature of this lump.
I really hope that you will consult a breast specialist for your own peace of mind.
Take care...
part of me wonders if this lump is just plain fatty tissue. because it feels kinda like a ridge rather than a lump. my doc dont want to do a mammogram. he said that becauce i have such dense breast tissue i would have to start getting regualr mammograms when I turn 35. also this lump/bump/ridge has a cyst directly beside it that has been there for years also.
also my breats were examined by my obgyn who also said they were fine. i just second guess most things docs tell me for some reason.
So sorry if I cannot make you stop wondering and worry about this lump in your breast.
Over the internet,and because we are not medical professionals but mostly cancer survivors, we can only guess about certain problems concerning the breasts.
As I mentioned twice before is for you to see a breast specialist since you seem to be worried about this lump even though your doctors told you that you that all is fine.
I am really very sorry if I can not tell you that you have nothing to worry about...Only some kind of testing, like an Ultrasound or a MRI that your doctors could order, can allay you fears.
Having said that,please understand that I have no further advice to give you that could help you in your particular situation.
Best wishes..
sure i would like to be able to stop worrying about this but i would mostly like to know if anyone else has ever experienced this. examining the breast after having a breast reduction makes it much more difficult. so it would be nice to know of anyone who has had the same issues before. or to hear from someone who also has fibrocystic breasts.

Many of us don't feel entirely certain about our breast self-exams, and esp. after any type of surgery on the breast.

Some GYNs even tell their pts with "lumpy breasts," or fibrocystic breasts. not to do self-exams, because it's so confusing, and instead just to have it done frequently by a physician.

Since you have a concern about a specific lump that you feel, it really would be a good idea to see a Breast Specialist, as zouzi suggested, so you will be certain that this lump is getting the attention and opinion of an expert.

The peace of mind this might bring you would be worth a lot!!

Best wishes...