flat epithelial atypia
I got my biopsy report today and it says that I have flat epithelial atypia in my right breast. They have recommended that I see a surgeon. I have family history of breast cancer (mom and mom's sister). need guidance. I'm really scared.
I had the same diagnosis from my stereotactic core needle biopsy four months ago, and the presence of atypia on a needle biopsy triggers further exploration to be sure that the cells nearby the atypical cells are not cancerous. I was also advised to see a surgeon, and had a wire-guided excisional biopsy to take a closer look at the area -- my surgical results were fortunately benign.

In my research I found that atypia just means that some of your breast cells are changing, and becoming atypical in appearance rather than "normal." Flat epithelial atypia is adjacent to cancerous cells only approximately one-third of the time, so the odds are still in your favor! But it is important to take a larger section of tissue to rule out cancer, so do talk to your surgeon about next steps. Let us know how it goes for you!
Thank you for responding to my email. I went to see a breast surgeon today and am in the process of scheduling my wire-guided excisional surgery within 2 weeks.  I will keep you posted. Hope and pray  that my biopsy comes out benign. I am very very nervous. Mandie62
after your results came out benign what kind of preventative program are you on?
I will be thinking of you as you go through your wire-guided excisional biopsy! I was very nervous and anxious too, but it actually wasn't all that bad for me -- the anticipation was far worse than the actual procedure.

Afterward, my surgeon recommended that I return to my routine mammograms, that's all. I already participate in an exercise program, eat a low fat diet, don't smoke, etc., and he did not recommend anything in addition. (But let me know if your surgeon has a different viewpoint!)

You are in my thoughts and prayers.