Breast Cancer Community
hypoechoic lesion

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

hypoechoic lesion

What does a "oval mostly circumscribed hypoechoic lesion" indicate?  I am scheduled for a biopsy next week and would like to know what I am up against.

Thank you
Labrad57
Tags: lesion
1 Comment
Hi.

The ultrasound assesses tissues in terms of the amount of echo the tissues transmit.  Hypoechoic means that the lesion or abnormality has increased density compared to the surrounding tissues.  Hypoechoic lesions are mostly benign lesions like fibrocystic disease, or breast cysts.  However, there are a minority that may harbor malignancy and I guess this is why your doctor is requesting for a biopsy procedure, just to be sure.

In addition, lesions that are well circumscribed and circular are likewise more likely to be benign in nature.

Regards.