microcalcifications
bgr
My mammogram showed microcalcifictions,  probably benign, to small to biopsy came back in 6 mths. I went from Dr. to Dr. to try to get information and no one could seem to explain anything to me.  I painfully waited 6 mths for a second mammogram.  I was told at this time nothing had changed.  The microcalcifications had stayed the same. Probably benign, to small to biopsy.  I again was told to come back in 6 mths.  I am by nature a nevous person and  not having facts stresses me out.  I simple can not find a physician to explain to me what this means.  If the microcalcifications have not changed in 6 mths is it safe to assume they are probably benign and if so what are these microcalcifications and should I be doing something about them.   I am beginning to be more concerned with the stress this causes me then anything else.  Can anyone help explain.

This discussion is related to califications.
Microcalcifications in and of themselves are NOT a condition that would become cancerous.However they can be a sign of a problem that may need further investigation based on their appearance on a mammogram. For instance microcalcifications that are more scattered are probably due to a benign (non-cancerous) cause and this is why,in your case, your radiologist is taking the "wait and see" approach .ONLY when microcalcifications are seen in cluster it increases concern that there may be an underlying tumor and a biopsy is usually recommended..Many microcalcifications return a benign finding even when clustered.I would not be overly concerned if I were you and would follow the radiologist recommendations.
Best wishes..
.