Breast Cancer Community
painful breast

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

painful breast

I am 15 years old and a few days ago i started experiencing pain in my right breast, it started off really bad on-off stabbing pain but has gotten better since then, it is also really tender and painful to touch, it also looks a bit different to my left breast ( it is a bit bigger and the nipple looks darker). I tried feeling for lumps but it hurts when i touch it plus i am kinda a hypochondriac so it freaks me out a lot when i feel for breast lumps. Breast cancer doesn't run in my family and i know it's pretty unlikely for a 15 year old to get breast cancer but i am still pretty worried, do you think this could be a symptom of breast cancer or just something involved wit puberty? should i see my doctor?
1 Comment
It is not unusual for breasts to be painful and lumpy, particularly during certain times of the menstrual cycle.Your breast pain does not signal anything bad especially at your young age since you are going through puberty.Also because breast cancer is almost never associated with pain.
Some people have painful breasts and there are a variety of causes,especially in young teenagers.Hormone levels play a major role in the body that could be causing this kind of discomfort and changes in the breasts...To reduce your pain, start with a low fat diet, reduce your daily salt and caffeine intake,(Chocolate,coffee,colas) and wear a good supportive bra.If you are concerned, you should see your family doctor for a clinical breast exam( to check for any lumps) and maybe give you some kind of medication for your breast pain.
Take care and God Bless...