Breast Cancer Community
phyllodes tumor

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

phyllodes tumor

Reading up on all the internet pages I can about the "rare" phyllodes tumor.   I had a core needle biopsy that points towards phyllodes tumor or fibroadenoma.   I guess its hard to tell.   I am going to meet with a surgeon this next week to see what the next steps will be.   I just turned 31 and the lump is located on my left breast (which I read is the most common) It doesnt seem like this type of tumor is as rare as they say.   I took someone's advise and am writing down all of my questions from the different websites.  

This discussion is related to phyllodes tumor of breast.
Since you have been searching the Internet, you probably know all of this, but it's a thumbnail sketch that some may find helpful:

"Phyllodes tumors are rare solid lumps that usually present as a mass found during a woman’s breast self-examination or on a routine physical examination. Smaller masses may be detected mammographically. Phyllodes tumors appear very similar to a benign lump known as a fibroadenoma. These lumps are usually well circumscribed and painless. Imaging evaluation including a mammogram and ultrasound is usually performed and when a solid lump is identified a biopsy is important to obtain tissue for accurate diagnosis. A phyllodes tumor cannot be differentiated from a fibroadenoma by a needle biopsy. This means that your doctor may not be able to accurately tell you whether a solid lump is a benign fibroadenoma or a phyllodes tumor. Risk factors for phyllodes tumor are rapid growth and size greater than 2 cms at the time of the evaluation. In many cases your doctor may recommend complete surgical removal of this mass to ensure that it is not an underlying phyllodes tumor.

Phyllodes tumors are not all cancerous. Many will be classified as benign and not require further evaluation. A skilled pathologist is needed to distinguish a benign phyllodes tumor from one with more aggressive malignant potential. In any event, women who undergo surgery for removal of a phyllodes tumor require close surveillance with followup mammogram and physical examination at regular intervals. Malignant phyllodes tumors are best managed with a wide excision of normal breast tissue around the tumor to obtain clean margins. In most cases, radiation therapy is not required. Very large malignant phyllodes tumors may require complete removal of the breast for management."

I hope things go well when you meet with the surgeon next week.

Please keep us posted, by adding a comment to this same thread, regarding how you are doing.

Best wishes...
Best wishes to you for next week. hope all is good news.The unknown is the hardest part. Keep your spirit up.
Just an update:   I went and saw the surgeon on Thursday, and he wants to do an excisional biopsy to do some further testing.   I will be doing this in his office and will be awake during the procedure.   He will make about a 1 inch incision and remove the lump and send it to pathology.  

The surgeon does not want to do a major surgery if its not needed.   Which I understand and agree with, I just hate the waiting game.  

I am nervous about the possibility of them still not knowing what it is once they have removed it.   I am also nervous about all of the "mis diagnosis" I have read about with the Fibroadenoma and Phyllodes tumors....or what if it is something else completely?  

The excisional biopsy is scheduled for Friday 11/12/2010 and I should get the results back 3-4 business days after that.   I will keep posting updates!  
Had the excisional biopsy on Friday, it was quicker than excepted.   The entire process took about 35 mins.   I did local, so I felt no pain, just tugging when the doctor was putting in the stitches.   I was told to wear a snug sports bra to help with swelling and ice it if needed.   I was not able to shower for 24 hours after the procedure.   I have internal stitches and surgical tape on top (not sure exactly what they are called).  

After the numbing medicine wore off, I felt some pain, some sharp pain and itching.   The doctor gave me some pain medicine to help, so it has not been too bad.   I was told to take it easy, no heavy lifting or soaking in a bathtub or hot-tub for quite sometime after to allow the incision to heal properly.

I have quite a large bruise and it seems as if the blood is settling just below the incision.  But no swelling or infection, so overall no major problems.

I should find out the results in 3 to 4 Business days.

Glad your surgery went well.

We will be eagerly awaiting your results...

Thinking of you,
bluebutterfly
Results came back......

Its a Fibroadenoma (phew!)

The Pathologist said it was all removed, so no further surgery needed.

I will need to get better at self breast exams and be on the look out for any other lumps and get them taken care of right away.
Thanks for sharing your good news.

You've made my day!

bb