Breast Cancer Community
red and inflammed

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

red and inflammed

Hi    I have  had  this recurring  inffection   red inflammed swollen , nipple discharge  left breast for a year .lots  of antibiotics, it came and went  often. Feb the last ones helped  finally  .  As i had to wait until june to see  surgeon #3 ,  he  was most concerend about the  discharge than  the other  complains  since it had disappeared .    He  said  it was  caused by  plugged  ducts  and  i had surgery aug 27 ,  by aug  29th  it started  feeling warm   then the next day  it was twice the  size of my right breast  red  and   very  painful.   went to emerg  and was  prescribed  IV antibiotics  (that is  how bad it looked  and  then doctor on call remembered  me  from  previous  times)  i had that  for seven days  it cleared up to an extent .  the surgeon  reassured me  that  he sent  the ducts  to a lab  to be tested and they came back  fine . he said  the inflammation should  be nothing more to worry about but if it does  to get back in there. 2 days it was back saw him  yesterday  he is  sending me to an infectious disease  specialist.,and a plastic surgeon .  Now  to my question  is there   anything else  i should be asking for ?  this has been  going on sooo long   i have no  idea  where else to turn  
thank you  

This discussion is related to Inverted Nipple/inflamation.
1 Comment
Hi.
The ducts of the sebaceous glands near the nipple or areola area can get blocked and can become inflamed forming abscesses.  This was probably what happened to you.  The abscess should be drained, and the specimen should be examined to rule out presence of other conditions like a malignancy.
Appropriate antibiotic should be given to help clear the infection.  If you have been given several antibiotics before, and you are not responding to the present antibiotic, there is a need to do culture and sensitivity.  That is probably the reason why you are being referred to an infectious diseases specialist.  You should ask for the possible cause/s of your recurrent infection and how to address it.  
The plastic surgeon can help with the aesthetic part.  Perhaps there is something to be done to minimize scarring and thus improve the appearance of the involved part.
Good luck.