Breast Cancer Community
scar leakage

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

scar leakage

after my lumpectomy i had another surgery to remove scar tissue.  2 months later my scar is leaking fluid.  my surgeon said he would go in and check it in a couple weeks.  In the mean time My breast has shrunk to half the size of my other one.  It was not that way after lumpectomy or chemo or radiation.  what is this fluid draining out and why am i losing size in my breast?

This discussion is related to how long will I slosh???.
1 Comment
As a rule this fluid accumulates following some surgeries as I'm sure you have read in the discussion from 2009. I'm not sure why it would be leaking out thru the scar and this is a really good situation for an infection to take hold. You don't mention if you are on any type of medication (antibiotics) at the present time. This fluid does accumulate and fills the area left as a result of the surgery. It usually continues to accumulate until the surfaces "stick" and the void is no longer present. Evidently since the fluid is leaking "out" the void is still there and this would be why your breast is smaller. Many lumpectomies do leave a permanent reduction in the size of the operative breast. It seems that you have no recourse at present but to wait the 2 weeks and see what your Surgeon advises after he ck.s the area as he stated. If after this ck. you get no answers you could seek a second opinion or if you aren't satisfied with your treatment. Regards ....