Breast Cancer Community
scared atypical cells with steriotactic
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

scared atypical cells with steriotactic

I had a mammo then spot compression which showed a change in my microcalcifications from last years mammo.  Just got results from my stereotactic biopsy and was told to see a surgeon even though it was benign but showed atypical cells.  So are the benign cells which they biopsied atypical?  I didn't see copy of report yet but have an appointment with surgeon in two weeks.  I hate the wait again.  Please tell me some good outcomes .  If the rest of the tissue they will take show atypical but benign also what happens in the future.  I'm worried they will find an aggressive cancer when they do the surgical biopsy.  I just need some reassurance please.  I'm very scared.  
Related Discussions
1 Comment
Blank
25201_tn?1255584436
Atypical cells can be due to several things and are NOT cancer. They can increase the risk of developing breast cancer in the future and are sometimes even referred to as a Pre-cancerous condition. Often it is recommended that the area around these cells be removed surgically for further Pathologic examination but that will be at the discretion of your Surgeon after he/she reviews all your records. After removal there could possibly be some additional treatment recommended but that would be determined at a later date and would also depend on the final Pathology report on the tissue removed. What you have been advised is standard treatment for a finding of Atypical cells at biopsy.    Regards ...
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Breast Cancer Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank
Oct 04 by Lee Kirksey, MDBlank