Breast Cancer Community
side effects of hormonal drugs

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

side effects of hormonal drugs

Having been on Tamoxifen for 5 years, I had gained 10 lbs over that time. Couldnt lose any weight no matter how much I tried.   I am now on Femara and seem to be less bloated, getting my waist line back and actually dropped a few pounds with dieting.  Is it common to gain on one (Tamoxifen) and not gain on Femara.
I don't know about Femara but I have gained weight on Tamoxifen.  I get to stop taking it next month and I can't wait to see if I lose some of this weight.
Just wondering why you are not taking femara after.  I was told I should as another "safety" net.
I don't know.  When I went to my oncologist last December she said that I could come off the Tamoxifen and that I wouldn't have to take anything else.  I had DCIS not invasive and didn't have to have chemo just radiation.  I go back in July and hopefully will be dismissed.
Avatar_dr_f_tn
Hi Ma'am,
Tamoxifen is a drug that blocks the action of the hormone estrogen. Side effects of this drug may include : nausea, hot flashes, weight gain or headache. (http://www.medicinenet.com/tamoxifen-oral/article.htm)

FEMARA (letrozole tablets) is approved for the adjuvant treatment of postmenopausal women with hormone receptor-positive early breast cancer. It is also approved for the extended adjuvant treatment of early stage breast cancer in postmenopausal women who are within three months of completion of five years of tamoxifen therapy. Side effects that are comparable between Femara and tamoxifen include night sweats, weight gain, nausea and tiredness. Side effects seen more often with tamoxifen versus Femara were hot flashes and vaginal bleeding. The benefits of FEMARA in clinical trials are based on 24 months of treatment. Further follow-up is needed to determine long-term results.(http://www.femara.com/content/femara-what-is.jsp)

Take care and regards.
I know I have only been on Tamoxifen for six months but have managed to lose 60 lbs.  I guess Tamaxifen is different for everyone.  The only side effect I have had is a few mild flushes once or twice a day.