Breast Cancer Community
subcutaneous mastectomy for dcis

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

subcutaneous mastectomy for dcis

I am 45 years of age and recently diagnosed with dcis ( v small, all removed at biopsy).  I went on to have a lumpectomy with clear margins.  I was going to have radiation and take tamoxifen but have now finally got to see an oncologist and he is advising me to have a bilateral subcutaneous mastectomy, with no radiation and no drugs.  I am now totally unsure how to proceed. The dcis was as I said v small, van nuys grade 2/3 and solid type.  There is no history of breast cancer in the family. At the end of the day I want to do whatever will reduce the risk of a recurrence of breast cancer in the future so I can see my kids grow up.  I am a natural worrier and prepared to accept more surgery if it will help a recurrence from occuring.  I am now researching on the net and not getting a clear answer as to whether to follow the advice of the oncologist.  Can anyone help? Thanks v much in advance.
Some of what you said is a little confusing.  If the DCIS was very small with clean margins, why a bilateral?  Get a second opinion,  and if it is way different than the first, think about getting a third.
Ask your dr WHY is he/she recommending removal of both breasts?  
Many women do not have a history of breast cancer.  Did you get your path reports back yet?  Get your own copy.  What did they say?
I definitely would get a second opinion...and I agree with txgrl...ask him why he is recommending this treatment?  What are the benefits, success rates etc in comparison with other treatments, keeping in mind that they can't get all the tissue when doing this procedure, why would he think the recurrence rate would be significantly reduced...the key word here is significantly.  There is a risk reduction, but would it be worth the bilateral...make sure they talk to you in absolute numbers.ie, if you have a 95% chance of survival and the procedure lowers your risk by 50%, that is, in absolute numbers, only a 2.5% difference. (risk of 5% divided by 2)

Get the second opinion, get all the facts, then make an informed decision and never look back whatever you decide.