Breast Cancer Community
swelling after breast biopsy
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

swelling after breast biopsy

I had a breast biopsy on the left side about a month ago. About two weeks after, I noticed that my left arm is swollen, at times is painful, as well as my back on that side.what could be causing this?

This discussion is related to Lymphedema concern.
Related Discussions
1 Comment
Blank
Hi there.

The occurrence of arm swelling may be really hard to pin on the biopsy, unless the biopsy is severely traumatic or involved the removal of very large chunks of tissue.  For needle biopsies, the swelling may be attributed to other causes rather than the biopsy itself.  Other causes would include lymphatic blockage due to the underlying problem (for which the biopsy was done in the first place), presence of infection which may or may not be related to the biopsy, or this can be allergic reaction to the anesthesia used.  I suggest you show this to your doctor so that you can be assessed thoroughly.  For now, avoid using the arm too much and you may keep it elevated to facilitate fluid return and drainage.  Regards and God bless.
Blank
Continue discussion Blank
Blank
Weight Tracker
Weight Tracker
Start Tracking Now
Breast Cancer Community Resources
RSS Expert Activity
469720_tn?1388149949
Blank
Abdominal Aortic Aneurysm-treatable... Blank
Oct 04 by Lee Kirksey, MDBlank