Breast Cancer Community
tender breast lump

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

tender breast lump

I am 34 years old and just found a breast lump in the lower right hand section of my left breast.  It is tender to the touch but not painful.  It is movable...I almost didn't think it was a lump because it just felt a little more dense than the rest of my breast.  I am so scared.  Any advice?
Most breast cancer lumps are not painful.  I have heard that cysts can be painful, but that is not from experience as I have never had a cyst in my breast.

A lump in the breast is always scary, we always think the worst.  But stats show that most lumps turn out to be nothing.  So keep positive and ring and book an appointment with your doctor and take it from there.  If you're doctor is not 100% positive what the lump is, then insist on a mammogram and ultrasound to get it checked out.  Ultrasounds show up cyst very well as the ultrasound can go through cysts but not solid lumps.

Best of luck to you and  I do hope it turns out to be nothing for you to worry about.

Does the lump increase or decrease in size? Is it painful or tender?  

Has a mammogram, ultrasound and MRI been done? Since when have you noticed the lump? Are you lactating?

Have you noticed any abnormal features on breast self examination like skin changes, breast lump, nipple discharge , etc

Have you seen a breast specialist or your doctor for your symptoms? Till then you could try some warm compresses, breast massage and oral pain relief medications.

This seems to be a fibroadenoma , but nothing can be said with surety without a clinical examination and relevant investigations.

Let us know about what your doctor or breast specialist advises.

Let us know if you have any other doubts and also about how you are doing.

Regards.