Breast Cancer Community
unexplained biopsy results

This patient support community is for discussions relating to breast cancer, biopsy, genetics, chemotherapy, hormone therapy, lumps, lumpectomy, lymph node dissection, lymphedema, mammograms, mastectomy, radiation therapy, reconstruction, and self exams.

unexplained biopsy results

I had a microcalcifications show up on a mammogram done a few weeks ago and was immediately referred for a stereotactic biopsy.  The results came back stating that there are "changes consistent with pregnancy"  as well as atypia (I had a surgical biopsy in 2005, same breast, where atypical ductal hyperplasia was noted).  My question is regarding the breast tissue changes consistent with pregnancy as I am definitely not pregnant (pregnancy test was done to be absolutely sure and last pregnancy was 10 years ago), nor am I taking any kind of hormone replacement.  My doctor was at a loss to explain this only saying that this sort of finding is very rare and that I need to have a surgical biopsy now.  Any insight would be greatly appreciated.
With the fnding of "atypia" I would certainly proceed with the recommended biopsy. As far as the indication of pregnancy you might ask your Dr. to contact the Path. Lab and ask for an explanation about that. This is a first for me .... the only thing I can think of is that there was some indication regarding hormones as the reason for that statement. Perhaps the Path. testing on the surgical specimen will offer some additional information.  Please stay in touch and add a comment to this thread when you get the results from your surgical biopsy. Regards ....
Thank you for your quick response.  I will definitely update the post if I am able to get any new information.