Cancer Surgery Expert Forum
Existing Lung Cancer w/Heart Disease

Questions in the Cancer Surgery forum cover surgery for all types of cancers.

Existing Lung Cancer w/Heart Disease

09/0/07
    My step-father has terminal lung cancer with heart disease.  He's had this for about two years.  (He was not expected to live but a few months) They cannot do surgery on him because of his heart disease.  However, he did have a round of radiation. It did shrink the tumor down enough that he did not have as much pain on his side.  He still does have some pain though. He recently had a PET scan and nothing has changed.  His physician now wants to do a needle biopsy.  What is the purpose of this?  Will it show if it is active or non-active?  Would it do any good to know since they probably won't do anything? Or could they possibly do something? (praying they can) His concern is that he doesn't want to go through all the pain (and possible lung collapse) again if they can't help him.  
Thank you.
Praying for my pop-pop
Your concerns are valid, if there is a plan of treatment such as chemotherapy (since surgery is not possible due to heart disease) that may be a good reason to do a biopsy in order to see if cancer cells are present.

You should ask your step-father's doctor what is the purpose of the biopsy, is additional treatment planned, and what are the possible complications of the needle biopsy?

D
Thank you for replying so quickly.  I do have an update and it is not good news.  My step-father's physician noticed something supicious inside his neck while checking his carotids.  He was sent to the ENT and the doctor did a thorough examination and found a walnut sized lump (I'm not positive but I think my step-father said on his vocal cords), took a biopsy and told my step-father that he was almost sure that it not benign. They discussed the options; surgery, chemo and radiation. We are waiting for those results now. Again, my step-father reminded him of the heart disease problems.  My question is:  Why would they suggest surgery if it is malignant?   Unfortunately my step-father will not even discuss chemo due to losing a sister-in-law with breast cancer due to an over dose of chemo.
Thank you again for your reply,
Praying for my pop-pop.
A related discussion, Lung Cancer and Heart Disease was started.