Cancer Surgery Expert Forum
severe abdominal pain 9 months after whipples

Questions in the Cancer Surgery forum cover surgery for all types of cancers.

I know this is not breast cancer but but we are desperate for help.
Please can anyone help, My husband and a whipples operation on 4th July 2007. 2 days post op he developed respiratory failure and was ventilated on critical care for 5 days, whilst on the ventilator he developed pneumonia and then leaks internally from the surgery.  Since the surgery which is now 9 months ago has never had a day without abdominal pain sometime so severe he can't move and is unable to get out of bed for days. He started 26 courses of chemotherapy which was stopped half way through while they tried to find out the cause of the pain. A CT scan could find no reason for it and no evidence of any further cancer.  He is currently on durogesic pathces 150, copious amounts of oramorph and co-codamol or paracetamal every 4 hours, none of which seem to do anything. He takes 3 creon with each meal and and the pain is worse since he has been on them.  I would appreciate it if any doctors on this site can offer any suggestions as the surgeons here  don't seem to be able to do anything or offer any help.  We are so desperate for help as my husband has no quality of life and we don't know where else to turn.
Many Thanks
Mandy
Tags: Creon
Diagnosis: Type of Cancer?
:  
pancreatic
Date of Diagnosis
:  
July 02, 2007
Type of Surgery
:  
whipples procedure
Stage/Size of Tumor
:  
very small tumor with 3 lymph nodes involves
Location of Tumor(s)
:  
pancreas
Age of Patient/Pre or Post Menopause?
:  
53
Sex of Patient:
:  
Male
General Geographic Location
:  
UK
Have you received hormone replacement therapy?
:  
No
Please list all of your current medications:
:  
creon
durogesic patches
oramorph
CoCodamol
Please describe your alcohol and/or smoking history:
:  
none smoker since diagnosis
No alcohol
I would go get a second opinion from a hospital that performs a large number of whipple procedures, usually most cancer centers.  I do not know where you are located, but this is highly unusual.

My mom just had this surgery.  She has a good Dr.  DR.John Chabot in Columbia hosp in ny.