Cancer in Pets Expert Forum
tumour around neck

This forum is for pet health questions regarding Cancer Treatment. Questions will be answered by a veterinarian.

tumour around neck
my dog has got tumour growths(in bunch form) around his neck from past 6 months which is causing great obstruction in breathing & swallowing food.His vet has told us that surgery is not possible though he has started with chemotherapy.I want to know will this chemotherapy wil be successful in this case & is there any other possible treatment line?
It is impossible to tell you if this treatment will work.  Also to give you much information at all we would need to know more details.  Has a biopsy been done?  What is the cell type? What tissues have been affected?  What chemo regime is he on?  What imaging studies have been done and what do they reveal?  

Generally speaking cancer is often treated with an initial surgery and followed by Chemo.  Tumors of very large size may not respond to chemo alone.  

We wish you good luck.  
Well, I would tell you that surgeons commonly remove tumors that were deemed "not removable."  I would suggest that you consult with a board-certified surgeon before giving up.  Chances are, they will also have a cancer specialist who can advise you about chemo.

I agree with Dr Jim, we typically recommend surgery first, followed by chemo, WHEN appropriate. It all depends on the type of tumor.

Good luck...

Phil Zeltzman, DVM, DACVS
www.DrPhilZeltzman.com
Thanks doc for your suggestion.The vet I'm consulting says that since your dog is 14 yrs old & his major tumour is around his neck(unexposed) , he can't go for surgery as there is risk of anaesthesia & some crucial veins(around neck). This is the second time my dog is getting tumour(around his jawline-xposed one), the first one was removed by the same vet but he didnt give him chemotherapy post surgery. My dog has got some bulbar form tumour in his right eye too,it is very difficult to maintain the hygiene of this exposed tumour. Is there any eye drops which can treat this? please help...
Dr. Z's advice is correct, a board certified surgeon has advanced capabilities that may allow you to remove most of the tumor followed by Chemo.  It is our opinion that - in general - chemo for a large mass is not effective.  We cannot speak to your specific case.  

You can use artificial tears and perhaps some antibiotic and anti-inflammatory drops your vet can prescribe for that eye lesion.  

Good Luck