Cancer Community
Glioma

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

Glioma

In the temporal right side of the brain causing left sided weakness, speech impairment... (Causing sxs) 3 cm diameter. I Know that region of the brain is for speech, memory, and hearing. Pt only had symptomatic slurred speech and a family hx which was bad because they caught it to late. I am being asked by family members and friends what is her prognosis....she is going to rehab for 30 days to evaluate damage and what she can regain.... Maybe stage 3 or 4 its off for testing.... I have told the family member involved that I have not seen the chart, and do not know what kind of ischemic damage (blood perfusion- was done)I have explained that it was a wait and see type thing, regarding tissue damage and matast... They don't know if it has spread, kinda thing.. I really don't understand other than insurance why they don't do full body CTs when this presents.... anyways...any advice as to what to tell this family... can that brain tissue bounce back? temporal lobe? this has been only going on for maybe two months... I know that is not enough info.... just giving you what I have...I know this not my best English paper but I was in a hurry and needed something pretty soon for them. THanks  .
Hi.
The symptoms the patient is experiencing is due to the mass effect of the glioma in her right temporal lobe.  Gliomas are usually managed by surgery to remove the tumor.  Depending on the grade of the tumor low-grade or high-grade), further treatment is warranted, either through radiotherapy, or chemotherapy.
There will be neurologic sequela after treatment.  Some may be irreversible.
It is best to conduct a family conference, and discuss the diagnostic procedures, treatment, and prognosis.  Maybe then they will cooperate fully.
Good luck.