Cancer Community
Mummy needs help

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

Mummy needs help

My mum was diagnosed with Myeloma back in October 2009 and since December last year when she went into renal failure she was physically deteriorating and her condition seems to have gotten worse from then. I'm a young, brown, year 12 student and I lack so much essential knowledge of my mum's disease that I have come to the conclusion of asking MedHelp to at least provide me with a simple understanding of what is most likely happening to my mum at certain times.
Her cancer is in her bone marrow and recently she has been hindered so much by the cancer that it prevents her from walking. Adding to this she has also recently had blood continuously coming from the gums of her mouth and when she rinses large, dark blood clots come out too. As soon as she'd finish rinsing her mouth, when she'd smile blood would already begin to appear. I have no idea of what is happening to my mum and that just adds more to my major concern of her well-being. Please help because I don't know what is happening to her :'(

Avatar_dr_f_tn
How are you? How is your Mom? Myeloma, a type of bone marrow cancer arising from plasma cells, may present with bone pain, bone fractures, tiredness (due to anemia), frequent or recurrent infections (such as bacterial pneumonia, urinary tract infections and shingles), kidney damage and a high level of calcium in the blood. The cause is not known but exposure to certain chemicals, radiation, viruses and a weakened immune system are thought to be potential causal or trigger factors. If there is kidney failure, it is important that this is managed. There have been many new developments in the treatment and management of myeloma over the last few years. However, regular monitoring is important because of possible  recurrence.  It is best that you talk to her attending physician or to your dad to better explain her current management. Stay positive and hope all is well. Take care and do keep us posted.