bone mets to hip and pain problem
My wife Jennifer age 59 had a r nephrectomy 11/06. has mets to the l acetabulum and has just finished the third month of Sutent with good results all areas of mets are either stable or shrinkage 33-50%. although the mets are responding, the ct also showed a fracture of the l acetabulum. the tumor area is aprox 6 cm in diameter. Doctor's don't think because of her overall weakness that she could tolerate a total hip replacement surgery. We are continuing the Sutent at 37.5mg 4 wks on and 2 wks off. for the next three months then rescan. My question is: Can anything  be done to relieve her hip pain besides drugs? She is currently barely controlled by Methadone 30 mg every 8 hrs and Dilaudid 8 mg in between for break thru pain. but this leaves her mostly bed bound. or up in wheel chair for a short period of time as tolerated. She just lays in bed all day can't turn because of the hip pain. no skin breakdown or Pneumonia yet but I'm sure it's on the way at some point.,Will the acetabula eventually heal if the cancer continues to shrink? Can new bone grow into the cancerous area? Any thoughts or ideas appreciated. Thanks Mike
Hi.  The drugs are her best bet to relieve the pain.  If they are not working, her doctor can either increase the dose, add a new drug or change the old ones.  I think she will also benefit from bisphosphonates (e.g. zoledronic acid, ibandronate) which is a drug that can relieve some of the bone pain she is experiencing, as well as repair her damaged bone.  However, bisphosphonates can only be given if her remaining kidney is functioning well.  

If the cancer continues to shrink, her acetabula will eventually heal.  But the question remains whether it can heal enough for her hip to be functional again.  This depends on the extent of damage that the cancer has done to her hip bones.