Cancer Community
bone mets to hip and pain problem
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

bone mets to hip and pain problem

My wife Jennifer age 59 had a r nephrectomy 11/06. has mets to the l acetabulum and has just finished the third month of Sutent with good results all areas of mets are either stable or shrinkage 33-50%. although the mets are responding, the ct also showed a fracture of the l acetabulum. the tumor area is aprox 6 cm in diameter. Doctor's don't think because of her overall weakness that she could tolerate a total hip replacement surgery. We are continuing the Sutent at 37.5mg 4 wks on and 2 wks off. for the next three months then rescan. My question is: Can anything  be done to relieve her hip pain besides drugs? She is currently barely controlled by Methadone 30 mg every 8 hrs and Dilaudid 8 mg in between for break thru pain. but this leaves her mostly bed bound. or up in wheel chair for a short period of time as tolerated. She just lays in bed all day can't turn because of the hip pain. no skin breakdown or Pneumonia yet but I'm sure it's on the way at some point.,Will the acetabula eventually heal if the cancer continues to shrink? Can new bone grow into the cancerous area? Any thoughts or ideas appreciated. Thanks Mike
Tags: hip, Pain, mets