Cancer Community
cancerous uterus

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

cancerous uterus

hi there i was wondering if anyone can give me any infomation ,i had a hysterectomy at beginning of july 2011 due to uncontrolable heavy periods ,which did,nt help as i was badly anemic.i had my check up end of november 2011 were i was told my uterus they removed was cancerous, well my head was abit battered over that . i was told i have to keep going back to hospital over the next few years and they have to keep a close eye on me. they took a swab and scrape and had a look with the camera and i have,nt heard anything back yet .does this mean that the cancer could of spread in anyway ? they explained in doctors terms but it just went over my head as i was in shock.would be greatful for any advice thanks
Any cancer can (in theory) spread, BUT not all of them do. My mom had cervical cancer 22 years ago. The cancerous tissues were removed and she hasn't had a single abnormal smear since then. They don't all grow back, but some do. So they need to keep a watchful eye, make sure they got all of it, and it doesn't grow back. So that was what the ultrasound was for- to make sure it was all removed. Likewise the swab and scrapes are to test the cells and possible test for HPV. If it's been a few weeks an no one has gotten back to you call up the hospital for your results. Also make sure that you go back for routine checks.

For now try to be calm and keep in tune to your body. Your body can give you signs when something is wrong and if you're listening you should follow that intuition because you know your body best.