Cancer Community
liver cyst seeing a specialist?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to cancer, cancer staging, chemotherapy, hormonal therapy, radiation therapy, surgery, and tumor types.

liver cyst seeing a specialist?

general good health - having some very low abdominal paid like bad menstrual cramps.  my dr ordered CT scan, ultrasound, blood work.  cysts on ovaries and fibroids on uterus - she wants to do another US??  
MY BIG CONCERN -- blood work is fine, but she found a 2.8 bi-lobe cyst on my liver and made an appointment for me with a LIVER TRANSPLANT specialist.  She won't tell me why she thinks I should go - only that I need to go. If my blood work is fine and my health is good.. WHY would she insist I see this specialist???    Not ashamed to say I'm getting VERY upset that she won't tell me WHY!
Your doctor is probably just making sure you get all the appropriate testing.  Certainly your cramping could be a result of the fibroids and ovarian cysts, but it wouldn't be safe to just assume that if she saw a cyst on your liver.

Any abnormality within the liver is important to investigate further.  The most likely outcome is that the liver cyst is benign, but most physicians are neither knowledgeable enough nor appropriately equipped to assess liver lesions, and the best place to get any kind of liver lesion assessed IS a transplant center.  (Hey, it's hard for any doctor to have to say they don't know enough to diagnose something... only shakes your confidence in them, right?)   Your doctor is doing the right thing by you, really... better safe than sorry, especially when it comes to any cyst on the liver.  Hope that helps. ~eureka