Cats Community
Canker sore like lesion at my cat's lips

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet cats!

My 1 year old cat develops canker sore like lesion at the lips.  I have taken him to the vet 3 times.  The vet said he has allergy.  He had received 3 cortisone shots with no improvement.  Has anybody had similar problem with his/her cat?  Any suggestions how should I treat this condition.  By the way, my cat has no symptoms.  He seems to be playful and has good appetite.  Any help would be appreciated.  
Tags: sores, lips, cats
You might want to try a different vet. This vet sounds like he's just trying to run a bill up. Lesions can be a couple of different things, right up to signs of cancer. Sorry I can't be specific, but if the shot didn't help, they'd probably have to take a cell sample and test it.
My 1 year old cat also developed mouth sores.  She also had no symptoms except for the sores.  The vet was certain it was an allergy, and thought it may be to food.  She had a severe case and was given prednisone and was always on antiobiotics because her sores would become infected.  My vet referred her to the University of Florida School of Veterinary Medicine for a expert diagnosis and they said it was flea allergies.  Well guess what?? Wrong!!  She did not get any better after all but firebombing the house to get rid of every last flea.  After trying many different kids of foods (dry and canned) I discovered that when she eats only Royal Canin limited ingredient dry food, she has no more mouth sores!!  After almost $1,000 in vet and exterminator bills, I am so happy that she is well now.  

I hope this helps!!  
Yes, pet allergies do suck. They're a pain in the butt to figure out. It takes a lot of work and can take months to narrow it down but it is possible.
My female 8 mo old has recently came down with mouth sores.  I will definately try the Royal Canin.  A daughter of mine has the same thing caused by yeast so I wonder if the Royal Canin maybe doesn't have glutton in it.
My cat didn't have sores but her lip would get swollem from drinking milk...I used to give her a little milk from to time....She  got a reacation from it...She look like she had a fat lip...
My 2 years Kitty olive has a very ugly mouth sore on the left side right on the bottom, it  kinda looks like a ft lip but it is yellow and sometimes has yellow puss coming out of it. i cleaned it with hydrogen peroxide and then put neosporin on it and there is not differance! i am very scared right now and i dont know what to do! causei dont have the cash to take her to the vetand im not sure i they do billing like human hospitals? some one help me!!!!
PLEASE don't put neosporin on your cat's lip, that might be poisonous for your cat to ingest.  I would take the cat to the vet, it sounds like an abscess that needs antibiotics.
my 3 yr old had an enlarged yellow lower lip the first 2 vet visit were the same antibiotics
steroids and a very large bill w/no relief for my pet he began to sound like he was having a hard time eating and drinking so i went to another vet she opened his mouth causing his to to pretrude and down his throat on the far bck side of his tongue was a growth she was sure it was cancerous so it had to be removed his lip began to clear a little but never really healed completely.  At one point it was thought to be feline herpes. I dont know if any of this helps or scares you but you may need to see another vet,
A neighbor's barn cat recently passed away. The symptoms happened w/i days. She stopped eating (I was feeding her daily) early in the week, and w/in 2 days, she had developed sores and was not doing well. My neighbor took her to the vet the following day, and I was told that the cat's kidneys (both) were as hard as a rock and the cat had a bad odor as well. The vet euthanized her, believing that she was too far gone and possibly may have had cancer. It just seems bizzare to me, as the onset was so sudden and devastating.
I know the neighbor has rats by the barn. Would it be possible that the cat could have been bitten and that an infection developed?
Hi...that did develop really fast however if the kidneys were involved ie: cancerous thus not filtering as they should all types of sores can develop anywhere on the body.
A bite wouldn't cause the kidneys to become hard.
Hope this was of some help?
hi my 8 month old half persian cat also has sores on his lips and inside his mouth we went to the vet before and they prescribed a cream they said he had an infection we used the cream and it went but then shortly after it came back again so we went back to  the vets and they said it's cos his imune systems low he needs some more injections so they gave him 2 injections and prescribed for him another type of medicine which's bright violet and you put it on his sore and it stains the skin but that's not worked it's cost us nearly 150 euros and he's still not better it's spread and got worse so this monday we're taking him back to the vets and hopefully they'll take a sample or something and finally get rid of it forever when i find out more on monday i'll let you know what they say!!!
oh poor kitty, that must be very painful for him!!
I hope your vet can find out what it is, I hope he takes a biopsy of these sores to make a firm diagnosis.
One thing I would like you to suggest to him for an opinion is EOSINOPHLIC COMPLEX. you can look at this on the websites veterinarypartner.com or dermvets.com/feline_eosinopilic_granuloma.html   and see if the diagram looks similar to you.
this is a symptom of an allergic reaction to something, fleas/foods/dust or pollen
Similar to the allergies we humans get only in Pets the allergies show up on their skin where we sneeze of get stuffed up.
My cat has this disease and he gets small scabs on his skin and when he scratches or licks they break open and get raw and sore...he has an allergy to certain foods...we think and are in the process of trying different ones.
Antibiotics and steroid injections have only given short term relief.
I hope this will help you...let us know how you make out ok, good luck
My Maxx Luggs got a sore on his mouth as well. He's an indoor, sometimes outdoor kitty and is a great hunter. So I thought maybe he was bit by a squirrel or pocket gofer he loves to catch. The vet gave him shots and suggested I change the type of bowl I was using as the bowls were plastic. Now with the ceramic bowls he's been fine. He has allergies like his momma, (me) and sneezes every spring along with me. I have two other cats that were not affected and don't have allergies, except in the spring when they go outside and sit in the long grasses and get bit by grass fleas. They've never had regular fleas, thank god, because it's too cold here in Montana for them to live, or so I've been told. Plus I'd know if we had fleas because they just love me and I get bit all over and that hasn't happened.
My kitties have always eaten Nature's Recipe and Science Diet, expensive I know, but my 17 year old who now has Hyperthyroidism has always loved it and when I've tried to change foods, they will not eat it.. and I mean that. I've waited a whole week with the new food mixed into the old food and they picked through it and left all the new food. I left it there for another 3 days and they were all really mad at me because they were starting to starve. I couldn't take it anymore so I just gave them the food they liked.
I hope your kitty gets better, but I too think it may be an allergy to something although finding out what that may be will be tricky. Best of luck!
Hi!!  I have a female dsh that had a similar problem years ago.  Vets weren't sure what it was either but they suspected allergies.  I definately agree that it's a very good idea to switch out her bowls if you are using plastic.  They can also get feline acne from plastic dishes.  My cat had that too and her chin got really bad infected.  Took over a month and 3 different meds to clear it up........anyways.........the vet told me what my cat had was called "rodent ulcers" eventhough it has nothing whatsoever to do with rodents of any kind  LOL  My cat is strictly indoors and her lesions didn't seem painful and she would have one come on and then go away slowly over time by itself and then start with another one within a few weeks.  I think it was pollen or something in the air causing it because since we have moved she has never had it again.  And it wasn't the house cause we live in a mobile home so the only change was location, location, location LOL  hope they can figure out what is wrong and help her out.......I wonder if there is such a thing as an antihistamine for cats???  If no one is helping her it wouldn't hurt to get a second opinion.  You don't want her to be in pain and/or stop eating.  Hope this helps and good luck to you and your fuzzy one.  ;-)
Sorry in the above post I meant to say vets weren't sure what was causing it either.........they did eventually diagnose it as rodent ulcers......
Hi, I had a persian cat with what sounds to be the same problem.  After a lot of turmoil I faound a very relaibale and trustworthy vet...now also a friend.  My cat had (she'd be very upset as I spell this wrong) Esphillic Granduloma Complex.  The sores mostly developed on her lips, but once and a while on her cheek and once on her foot (but that one looked different).  She seemed to be the only vet that knew what the problem was.  It is a lifelong problem common in certain breeds but possible in all breeds of both dogs and cats.  It is also called rodent ulcers ..not sure if its the same or a variation of the problem.  Cortisone wouldn't be enough.  My vet treated with steroid shots too...but a stronger one.  (forget which one).  It's about $25 per shot and it reoccurs every few months.  One vet misdiagnosed and wanted to do biopsies after biopsies, another vet talked about cancer.....but you could be visiting a bad vet looking to soak you for $$$$$ in tests.  
My beloved cat lived a long and happy life and the only thing we really watched is the bad effects of years of these shots can be diabetes.  Luckily she escaped that.  I recently got another kitten who happened to have the same problem.  (same breed).  Outbreaks can be triggered by stress, allergies and things in the air such as hairspray or fumes .....so cats , like us need a good healthy enviornment.  To prevent outbreaks my vet tried to use a diffuser for calming and some gentle lotions etc....they have maybe prolonged periods between outbreaks....but it is what it is!     I would definately reccomend finding a GOOD vet that you trust.  Beyond all else it makes the most difference!
I too have a cat..Himalayan with Eosinophilic Granduloma Complex (EGC)
This is an autoimmune disease and not breed specific.
It is most likely caused from an allergy to -flea/tick/mosquito bite, pollen or dust mites.even household chemicals.....although actual cause remains a mystery. there are many theories out there, it can than become a secondary allergy to food(most likely one)...and chicken seems to be the biggest culprit.
If you are feeding a diet consisting of chicken, and you have to read the small print because they add chicken/turkey to many diets.
Change to a HYPOALLERGENIC DIET , the hardest part is finding one your cat will eat. the most palatable are ROYAL CANIN HP23 or HILLS z/d. or ROYAL CANIN rabbit/pea and as a last resort NATURAL BALANCE duck or venison.
My Sami was tried on everything and refused all.
I finally had to put him on a FISH diet and the only kind he would eat is Fancy Feast cans....a horrible food!!! but he had to eat and it had to be something without chicken!

That was a year ago, his sores have improved 75%, a small odd one will develop than disappears within a few days without him rubbing and getting a secondary infection.
Recently I have managed to get him transitioning over to another good diet, brand is EVO by INNOVA...and its Venison 95%grain free.
he will eat this one mixed 50/50 with his darn fish, I hope to slowly eliminate the fish.
I have also began using COLLIDIOL SILVER, I dab a small amount on a scab when it appears and its GONE the next day....this is safe even if they ingest it, it is safe to also use internally.

Vets do not recommend any more than 3 cortisone injections within a year...as you say due to the possible development of diabetes....ATOPICA is a much safer alternative to steroids.

Its a life long problem that has to be kept on top of, I'm so glad you have a good trustworthy Vet than is helpful to you.
If you have anymore questions feel free to contact me.

Mouth and throat ulcers in cats are very much like cold sores in humans and they are caused by the same thing...alergies (allergies) or stress.  Unfortunately, there are no effective treatments to prevent them other than to eliminate the cause.
If you don't have the money to look after a cat and take it to the vet's when it is sick....then you shouldn't have got a cat!
my cat has sores in her mouth the first time i took her to the emergency vet to see what was wrong they tested her for diseases of all kind and said that she might just have allergies. My cat Mammas stopped eating and even stopped drinking she got to the point where anyone can touch her and normally she is an agressive cat towards people she dont like so i knew something was up the doctors have us an anitbiotic and pain med which she loved and would sit there and lick it till it was gone cause she knew it would help with the pain. know its a couple years later and she started to have them again i have no money to get help for her but i was wondering if there was something to try other than changing the food to see a differents. any home remedies to cure the mouth sores for the time being to save money up for like 2 weeks email me please and let me know thanks
honey what are you feeding kitty?........I hope a soft canned food with her sore mouth dry food would be so hard on her.
A change of food is the simplest way to try and help, I have no way of knowing whats causing these sores but please save up fast and get this kitty examined she is suffering....talk to a clinic about doing a payment schedule to cover the costs(?)
please try to arrange something soon...♥
That's sort of an *******-ish, and mostly inconsiderate, thing to say. Given the current state of the economy, it's pretty easy to go from a stable financial setting one month to a financial cascade within the next 2 months. Once you're in a pit where money is tight, even a $75 vet visit is too much when you factor that $75 barely gets you a few meals worth of groceries these days and then take into mind the ever increasing cost of electricity and water despite dedicated attempts to continually conserve, conserve, conserve. Just to euthanize an animal alone can cost the price of a vet visit to $125, and that's not including cremation or anything else. Plus, a lot of veterinarians do squeeze as much money out of you as they can. So what easily could be feline acne could be relayed to you as possible cancer to try to rake you for tests you can't afford. It's heartbreaking to imagine your cat with cancer and know that there isn't anything you can do about it, or even to ease it. Given that most of these issues described here are little more than cosmetically damaging, the worst that can happen if you don't take your cat to the vet (under the circumstances of no longer being able to afford said visit, plus probable addons) is your cat will die of cancer, which probably would happen eventually regardless having spent $2000+ on treatments and tests. If you can no longer afford it, you can no longer afford it; doesn't mean you couldn't afford it when you got the cat. So be a bit more sensitive then to spout some lame comment as that without knowing the full situation.
you know sometimes you dont get the animal they get you, and if you are an animal lover you cant help but feed them and try to fix them the best that you can.  You need to have a little more compasion and respect for those who do take these animals in because atleast they dont go to a kill shelter.  So step down off your pedestal and get a grip.
Okay.  Please.  I'm sure izzycat gets the point and besides, that post was 4mos ago.

Peace, everyone!
It is hard to understand izzycat can be so heartless when some people
try their best to rescue animals even though they do not have much.

izzycat, I suggest you volunteering in the animal shelter for a while,
then you might know how hard the animals' lives are.

Tom
Some meds that are good for peoples alergies (allergies) (ask your vet) also work in small doses for the rodent ulcer if caught early. Do not give cats new food , toys or treats if they are doing well. Do not use plastic. I've used Zertec .05 per vets orders and had very good results. A friend has used claritine with luck as well. Also fish oil tablets has been helpful. But if it is a fish alergy (allergy) it would not be a good idea.
I do not agree people should not have a cat if they "can't afford" the vet bills. I set a very good budget before adopting  my kitty  and there was plenty of room for almost any event. It  didn't work out that way the kitty I adopted ended up having problems there was no way I could have predicted.
Other people I know became sick themselves or lost their jobs.You never know what could cause you to not be able to afford the high bills of a vet. So if only those who could with out any doubt own a cat there would be very few cats finding homes. The shelters are full of homeless kitties so don't discourage people from adopting.
replacing plastic bowls with stainless cured my cat's mouth lesion. My brother had the same exact experience with his labrador. We both used dry food at the time so had trouble believing the bowl could be the culprit but it sure was. No trouble since and that was months ago after having these sores for months and months prior. it's a simple and quick fix and if there is something else going on, you will know very quickly. our animals sores looked better very quickly following the new purchases. start with that and you won't be out a vet bill.

could also be bacteria-ridden water. be sure water source is clean too. if it's not clean enough for us, remember their little systems are even more susceptible.
any time your cat has a rash, compulsive licking, swollen chapped lips etc more than likely it is an allergic reaction. The most likely culprit is his diet. and the most likely food allergen is gluten. (remember this http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_pet_food_recalls)
If you can't afford the more expensive single ingredient canned food  like royal canin try making your own  http://www.catinfo.org/?link=makingcatfood is a good place to start. just experiment with different meats and proportions to find what your cat will eat. most skin conditions will clear up after a few days. here is another point of view http://cats.about.com/library/guest/ucfeature1.htm
Always wash your cats metal or glass bowl after each feeding.
Oh and make sure the allergen is not the new body lotion you just bought.
If the rash or chapping doesn't get better or starts to drain  then take him to the vet immediately! check your phone book for discount or low cost vets, Ask the SPCA or Animal Control if there is a clinic available or if they could give you a reference.
Do Not wait for the drainage to have a bad smell, even if you don't see pus the smell is an indication that an infection has already set in.
hello experts, my cat had mouth sores, specifically in her lips. At first i thought it was her tongue but it was her lips that was soring. She had no problems with her appetite, she eat so much, i had no problem for her eating habits, i guess. I try to smell and examine her lips, no problem with her breath(no bad breath). although overall she was really healthy, it was very alarming to see her lips redding, i always think it might get worst and in the worst-scenario it might eat her mouth, i really wish and pray it won't. I have no money for expensive vets cause i'm student, i have 2 cats died before me and it was painful, i don't want her to next. Do you think it was an allergy? or some kind of food might affect her sores?

thank you for response, sorry for my english ^_^
Hi chiz and welcome.  I'm afraid we are not experts here, just members like yourself.  Now about your kitty.  Do you happen to use a plastic bowl?  If so, this is often the culprit with this sort of problem so you want to replace it with something else like steel or ceramic.  If you don't use plastic, then the next step is to change your girls diet.  
I don't have plastic bowl, they use our CR for their nature calls. I think it is the food that affect her lips, i changed the food 2 days ago, sardines to salt water fish(i don't what is the equivalent English of that) i observed her lips and it came back to normal, from reddish to whitish, i guess? not much sores. But im afraid that it would come back, what i should do next to prevent it from coming again. Please give me advice.
you may want to read an earlier post about a cat with similar problems. it could be feline herpes...(?)
the Vet in this posting advised to use L-lysine this is best to be bought from a HUMAN health store if you decide to use, its safe even if your kitty doesn't have herpes....open the capsule and add 250mg to his food...

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Cats/Sore-on-the-corner-of-cats-mouth/show/557497
I have a cat, sweety pie, she's around 4-5years old and she used to be a real cranky cat, but within the last few years, she's become exceedingly sweet and almost needy. She also has some very big problems with her lips. It started out as two small spots, on both sides of the upper lip, and now they have eaten away her lip and if it doesn't stop soon, it's going to go for her nose, there is no lip left and it's extremely worrying. She aslo has mange like symptoms, but the vets have run tests and sent her home saying there isn't mange. When I put flea treatment on  her, her skin seems to heal and get better. My mother diagnosed this as flea allergies. I love her to pieces and I want to help her. I recently adopted a kitten, Taiga at 4 weeks, a year and a half ago. He's pretty expressive himself, and he used to play fight with sweety pie. Now he has the small holes on his upper lip too. I'm freaking out now, and I don't think my family is finacially supported for prolonged tests or secluded recovery. But if it's something I can relatively do at home, I will dedicate all my hours to her happy recovery. I have adopted the thought it may be kitty aids, or cancer, I will also consider the fact that it may be the food, or the bowls. Please help
  Well let's think about this.  First I'm sorry this is happening to you and your kitties.  Definately your first step should be to take both kitties at the same time to a vet so they can see how both of your cats have the same issue.  They might be able to give you a few guesses on what to test for based on how your kitties look.......If one vet doesn't help, try a different one.   Be sure to mention that you seem to notice an improvement when you use the flea medication.  That might help point them in the right direction to get a diagnosis too.  I know it can get expensive but the best anyone can do without a vet's advice is just random guesses.  Here are some of my random guesses:

Anything IS possible but it almost sounds like your kitties are having a problem with some sort of disease or virus that they are able to pass between them.  So I am thinking being they both have it and it looks and acts the same in the same exact place..........it would probably not be cancer.  A vet might be able to tell you if it looks suspicious (for cancer)based on appearance.  

Probably not allergies either unless it's a big concidence that two unrelated cats have exactly the same reaction to something.......... which is still possible but not likely.  Just to be safe you can switch their food dishes, I would say to stainless steel for both food and water.  You can try switching food if you haven't already but that can take a while for their systems to show an improvement, so you might want to ask a vet for advice on what to switch to and how long before you might see a change if the food is the cause.  

Also if your cats go outside I would definately try to keep them in and see if anything changes.  In a time like this, you need to know exactly what they are coming in contact with.  The only way to have control over that is to keep them inside 24/7.  Maybe there is something in your neighborhood that your first kitty got into and then he showed your second kitty and now they both have the same problem etc.

There is a simple blood test for feline aids (FIV) that can be done pretty cheaply and the results are pretty immediate so I would definately do that to rule it out being you are concerned about that.  

I hope they start to feel better soon and that someone can help you figure out this puzzle.

P.S.  There is a special credit program open to people who can't afford to pay huge vet bills all at once.  It's called Care Credit.  Not everyone who applies is accepted and you have to check with your vet to see if they accept it, but it might be worth a try.  If you qualify you get a set amount of months to pay off your bill with zero interest.  Good luck!!!!
I just took my cat the the vet for a rabies shot.  He also happened to have a lesion on his lip as you describe.  The vet told me that they are very common on the lower lip as the canine tooth irritates the area. My vet actually popped the small abcess (abscess) it contained and told me just to wash the area with warm soapy water every day.  He has since (1mos has passed) developed one on the opposite side.
I thought it might be the new food I'm feeding my cat.  Probably so.  I had read that wet food was better for him after all because it has more water (you just feed them more of it) and that's their primary water source out in the wild.  Also that the canned cat food is cooked in the canning process, so it should be safe to eat.  Anyway, I started my 14 mo old cat on wet food about a week and a half ago (different flavors, all 9-Lives), and he now has a single canker sore on his lip (I thought it was where an earwig had fought back when he tried to bite it), plus swelling under his chin (that may be from how he's been scratching there a lot; I'm treating him for fleas).  He does have allergies of some sort; he has ever since I took him in as a farrell kitty at 6 months.  I've figured he was allergic to me - but it was either live with me or my apartment managers were going to have him put down.  I've never heard until now of allergies to flees.  Anyway, I'm not sure if it's one flavor doing this to him, or the brand itself, or if I should forgo the wet food altogether and make him drink more water to make up for that.  I don't like what I've been reading about dry food being the cause of mineral build up in a cat's bladder.
hi, you are absolutely right about feeding canned food, cats don't ever drink enough to compensate for the dry dehydrated diet....and thus end up with many urinary tract problems as well as other issues.
I will send you a link to cat nutrition, the Vet there really pushes raw diets, but also gives good sound advice on feeding canned, and on the right hand side of her column also names the best brands on the market.

catinfo.org

...9-lives isn't a good brand at all, neither is whiskas another grocery store brand.
If you need to be buying the grocery store brands fancy feast CLASSIC is somewhat better.

2 things....these lip ulcers can also be caused by plastic dishes...change to ceramic or metal.

and if you are feeding chicken, stop...chicken is one of the worst offenders for allergies...try beef, or fish. at least for awhile and see if that helps. and if you can possibly afford it buy a canned food without GRAINS..these are also huge culprits with allergies...what symptoms does your cat have other than the ulcer?

here is a good article on allergies.

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/pic/article.cfm?aid=2134

I am also including an article on EGC with photos of the lip rodent ulcer. regardless of what the article recommends for treatment, these nearly always respond to a change in diet..do the reading than get back to us if you have anymore questions ok....♥

http://www.vet.uga.edu/vpp/clerk/Starnes/index.php

Izzycat, notice that everyone else has something helpful and constructive to add. Take their example. Your approach makes you look like a jerk.
I have two cats, and only the one seems to have this ulcer problem on her mouth (outside lip area).  She has not had an outbreak since I switched to grain free good (Wild Buffalo), but today I noticed the lesion/ulceration is back on her lip.  Normally she breaks out on the paw area (same paw), but her paw seems to be kinda okay so far.  Trips to the vet resulted in giving her steroids, but she was having outbreaks like every three months until I switched her food up after her last outbreak in December of 2001.  I am grateful she hasn't had an outbreak since then, but the lesion seems to be back today.  I also apply virgin coconut oil to the affected area, and that seems to help.  I just hate to see her having this again since she has done so well since switching her food up to grain free.  The vet also wanted to do a $400 allergy test which I agreed to, but then she said she also needed to do a biopsy to rule out cancer, blah blah blah until I was up to like $1200.  Then she wanted to put her on prescription cat food which would have cost me more to feed her than myself.  Like I said, I tried the grain free food, and it has seemed to work up until this point (almost 8 months now).  Not sure what else to do.  I have ceramic bowls for both of my cats and haven't switched anything up.  They go outside to get brushed about once a week, and we let them play in the grass for about 15 minutes.  Do you think that might have irritated her?  Also, we are leaving for vacation, and she can see that we are packing, so could she possibly be stressed?
well great that the grain free has worked thus far......sorry to hear she is experiencing troubles once again. I am wondering if perhaps she has developed an allergy to the type of protein you are feeding her...are you doing strictly one type ie chicken? or do you vary these, like a mixture of chicken or beef or venison? also could try a new brand, there could perhaps have been a slight addition in ingredients in the brand she has been on....
no I really dont think the grass would be anything to consider, since she had good results with a diet change before I think this is the area you need to concentrate on....
but stress could also play a part...
the following is good info on what you are dealing with EGC..or rodent ulcer of the lip. the info is great although I sure do not agree with the treatments this vet suggests...ie steroids and atopica...unless absolutely the LAST resort, very harmful in themselves..but read the article for info purposes,

http://www.2ndchance.info/ulcers.htm
here is another site with some photos....read on food allergies at the bottom in blue.
again I do NOT recommend the treatment options given, always much better for kitty to treat the CAUSE rather than the symptoms...

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_eosinophilic_granuloma.html
Ask the vet if he has considered Eosinophilic Granuloma or Rodent Ulcer.  He is probably trying to rule out the more benign diseases first.  It is important he find a diagnosis as something like a Rodent Ulcer is a malignant tumor on the lip..
That is not very conducive to this pet owners issue. I am also in the same situation as are many people in these hard economic times. My daughters happiness (went through a nasty split) is just as important as being able to care for another member of the family that would have been put down in a shelter if not for my daughter's desire to take responsibility and love and care for another living being. So, if you're not part of the solution you are part of the problem. So, please, do us a favor and keep your negative comments to yourself. Back to this issue and it does appear to be this rodent ulcers. I will begin trying different foods. Thanx
hi...I am just going to copy and paste what I wrote in a reply of May of last year...in case you didn't read that far back...the links give good advice for dealing with rodent ulcers...good luck, keep us updated if we can help more:))

catinfo.org

here is a good article on allergies.

Before you go broke on those exspensive foods try fish oil on their regular food. I had to put it on my cats dry food in a way that is was spread out and almost soaked in. He wouldn't take it any other way. I use the same fish oil I take and cut open the capsule to release the oil onto the food. Most cats like it any way but my kitty seems to have some issues with textures.
I would also like to say that these ulcers are very hard to find a reason for and treat you have to know that a change in diet must be done very consistently and results will  not be obvious before 6 weeks. This is the amount of time my vet told me it takes for the allergen to leave the body. My cat does drink water but dry food should not be substituted for the reasons about but the culprit is ash which is also in canned food. Canned food can be almost all water so there isn't much nutrition there.
Do you use flea treatment? My cat has the same problem but it seems it is only when I use Frontline and the girl who rescued him said he had a reaction to flea treatments. I am thinking it is from that, I use a little hydrogen peroxide and it goes away.
This is very common with antifreeze poisoning in cats and seein gas it was a barn cat and not on close watch that is most likely the case.
That is just rude. People take pets into their homes and give them love and all that they can. Sometimes people run into financial difficulties. How dare you judge someone for trying to seek help. You are just ignorant.