Cats Community
Cat licks and ***** my blanket!!

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet cats!

Cat licks and ***** my blanket!!

You know how cats knead blankets or your lap with their paws? Well my cat does this, but while he is kneading he licks/sucks on my blankets. He will only do it to certain types of materials. The blanket he does it most too is a velvety texture. I am getting tired of having to wash the blanket all the time. I don't mind the kneading, but the licking and sucking has to go! I know it must comfort him, but how do I get him to stop?? Is it normal??

One more question...whenever my cat is about to go to the litter box, he just starts meowing and crying. His litter box is always clean and he has plenty of litter to dig around in. His poop looks normal. So why do you think he meows and cries before he goes to the bathroom? He is in perfect health according to the vet!!
I think this is a case of "cats are strange". :)

If it's a blanket someone is sleeping in, it could be he likes the taste of the salt from human sweat.
I heard that sometimes cat's will do this when they were taken from their mothers too early before they were completely weaned. We already know cats knead because it reminds them of when they were nursing. I think that's why he's doing this to the blanket, too. Can you get him his own "blanky" maybe with the type material he seems to prefer?

As to why he's meowing when he's about to go to the bathroom, you may want to get him checked for a bladder or urinary tract infection.
I will definitely take him to the vet soon. He has some brown gunk in his ears too.

As far as the blanket goes, that's a great idea to get him his own!!! I never thought of that.

I think they told us he was 9 weeks when we got him but I know by his size he was probably 4 months. But who knows how long they had him for....I honestly don't mind the kneading, just the sucking. Because frankly, my cat doesn't have the best breath and when his spit dries, it really stinks!!!

Ahhh...he's so precious though. I could never get mad at him for it.

I gotta share a couple pics!!!!

Asleep on daddy's tummy: http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l180/Kim5283/DSC03903.jpg  
He's camera shy: http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l180/Kim5283/DSC03930-1.jpg
Bath time!!!: http://i96.photobucket.com/albums/l180/Kim5283/DSC05005.jpg (he looks like a rat when he's wet)

He's adorable! I used to have an orange cat like that. Her name was Mindy and she was one of the best cat's I've ever had! How old is he? He's still pretty small so I guess he's still a kitten. Cute! :)
OMG...see the funny thing is I think he's a runt or just small. The bath time pic is his latest picture. He will be 1 year in January!!! I think he's done growing, do you? Don't they usually stop growing by 1 year old? He is about 9 or 10 pounds...

We named him Tigger because when he was real little he would just bounce around...so cute!!
He's just small. Yeah, he should be done growing by a year, although he can always get fatter! Especially once you get him fixed, they usually gain some weight.
I'm fostering a mama kitty and even after having kittens less than three months ago, she still only weighs about 6 pounds! She's just a pooty little thing as my grandmother used to say! Boy, I wish I could have remained small like that after having a baby, lol!
Oh ya, he is fixed and he already has that little pouch on his belly.   :)

Awww I love to foster. I volunteered to foster kittens from a shelter. I got 2 at once and 2 was a handful!! Making them pee and poop and making them bottles. YIKES!!! But then my mom adopted them. :)
Yes cats are strange. We have these 2 giraffes that are about 2 ft tall (for decoration in our bed rm) anyway they must be covered with some type of wax and my one cat will sit there and lick them all night long to where we cant sleep from the noise.
About the blanket thing.  I think I have read about it being very common for cats to suckle certain types of material on blankets..I just can't remember why.  I think it's real common for them to do it to wool.  I have a blanket that when any of my cats touch it, they instantly become mesmerized and begin a sucking, biscuit making frenzy...it's pretty funny to watch.  This blanket was a Christmas gift for me last year...it is now for them!
My grey tigerstripe does that in my sock drawer.  She grabs at least one in her mouth and kneads and kneads and kneads....  She can open my sock drawer and go for it.  She's a nut.
I have a cat who goes in my husbands sock drawer and takes his dress black socks out and walks around the house with the sock in her mouth crying this mournful meow. Sometimes I wonder if she thinks it's her kitten? And she only takes his dress black socks! I have no idea why! Lol!
She leaves my socks alone! :D
my kittens do it too.. i got them together when they were only like a week and a half though. the people i got them from said they didn't know where the mommy went. i bottled fed the one but the other one drank out of a bowl immediately. they are about 7 months old now and they both still lick and suck only one of my blankets. they purr and it gets pretty freakin wet! i didn't think they were going to do it so long but i wonder if they'll stop
We don't have any suckers here, but we have one that likes to chew on just about everything that has a nozzle. Just about all of our watering cans, including a metal one have Sahib's teeth marks. He also chews on socks and will lick them if you have a foot inside.

Waldo will knead his claws into our blankets and tends to puncture them.
My kitty meows  a special meow when he wants to use litter ox, I tell him go ahead its ok...and he goes and thats the end of it...he is very verbal....when he wants me, he cries mom.....I swear he does....so maybe your cats talking to you as well.
Our cat goes outside ( I know, I know, bad mommy) and when we are out there with her (she insists that we are) she always meows before she goes potty. We are like "what? It's ok, you can go potty" LOL. I had thought that she was uncomfortable or wanted us to go away and give her privacy but we've found out it's just something she does. It's almost like she is announcing "I'm going potty!" LOL. Glad to see mine isn't the only one. Now we just call it her potty meow.
My cats have developed a taste for chewing on my fingers. It just started last night with my female cat and I didn't really think anything of it. Then this morning one of the males started chewing on my fingers. A friend told me that it might have been because I had just dyed my hair and cats go bonkers for some certain chemicals like with diluted bleach. But a few hours later the female came back and started chewing my thumb.....

I almost wanna say she's doing it affectionately or to get my attention. Still, kitty teeth aren't the most comfortable thing when they're gnawing my flesh.
the whole litter box thing... i was told that you have to leave a little bit of the pee in there so that they know its theirs so that they will keep peeing in it.
also my kitten doesnt suckle blankets but skin... which is annoying when your trying to sleep and you get woken up all night long from it so you should be thankful its just a blanket! lol
my cat began doing this on the inside faux fur (velvety texture) of my winter coat, so I bought him a cat bed in the same material, and it is his new favourite thing. he is constantly kneading and sucking on it, but now that is all he does it on, so it's all his!

my other cat loves bikini's. i gave him an old bikini top of mine, and he walks around with it in his mouth and meows like a baby.

totally just a stange cat kind of thing i think. i love it...it just shows their different personalities and quirks.
Tigger's ADORABLE!  Mr. Nekoro was tiny too.  He was all of 12lbs and 5 years old!  He made the best pal too.  He too had some very funny quirks that I was mad about, but he'd flash me that lil face and my heart melted!   See this is how they're doing it...one lil look at a time...then the world is their's!

-K
My little guy does the same thing.  It's as if he is asking if it's ok to use the litter.  I swear he says mom and No.  It is so clear.  My sammy is very verbal also.  I talk to him like he is a little kid and he is so intelligent that he answers back.  I really love him.  He is alot like a dog also, he follows me where ever I go and never hides away all alone like most cats do, he has to be right with me.