Cats Community
Having genital suckling issue's with Abandoned kittens! HELP

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet cats!

Took in 6 orphan kittens, I've had them since they were 2 weeks old and noticed that they kneed and suckle on everything! including each others genital's. I never thought this was a big deal until I read that it can cause problems for the kitten who's being sucked on. I tried to solve the problem by separating the kitten who ***** on her brothers. Now they are 4 weeks and I notice that one of the boys is sucking on his OWN genitals, I know he's not just cleaning because I can hear the sucking. I don't want him to not be able to pee, or get an infection how do I make them stop sucking on eachother and themselves :( !
Tags: suckling, kitten, problem, suckling kitten, orphan kitten, www.naabt.orgkittens, kitten help, miscarriages, genital sucking, infections, kitten infection
I say put a soft fuzzy stuffed animal with them.  Get one that 'lays down' so the kittens can all be in contact with it at one time.  This will give them something to cuddle, knead, and suckle on the fur.  Just make sure the fur on the stuffed toy does not come out easily.  Blessings - Blu
I'd also get one of those tiny bottles and bottle feed them with KMR.  I assume you are tube feeding them now?  They'd be pleased to have an actual little nipple to suck.
I've been bottle feeding them with KMR since they were 2 weeks old, and even when I just finish feeding them they still do it , thankyou for the suggestions!(:
And you're sure they aren't hungry, when they do it?  If you think this is from being hungry, you might have the vet teach you the method for safely tube feeding.  It gets them a lot of food much more quickly than bottle feeding.
I am almost positive, and I think they would eat all day if they could, it usually only stops when they are asleep they have a certain blanket of mine that they will knead and suck on , but they will still go and suck on eachother. I'm frustrated and I feel like a horrible person that this is happening and that they may get infections :(
When my kittens were nursing, they suckled only when hungry.  Then they would sleep, then they would tap each other with their feet or try to wobble around, then they would eat again.  I do know that kittens weaned too young will suck on their human being all their life, so it might not be hunger but the yearning for closeness, as you're thinking.  But they are growing and need a lot more food; if you did tube feed them you might find that they would be fuller faster and a little less restless and less likely to suck.  It takes a long time to fill a kitten from a bottle, and takes only a couple of minutes with a tube.  It would keep you from going crazy with constant bottle feeding.  
Another suggestion is to wash them down with a rough washcloth wrapped around your finger.  Babies expect this from their mom, and may find it soothing enough that they won't be so compelled to suck randomly for reassurance.
They are 4 weeks old now.. and being introduced to soft foods.. I feed them with the bottle 3 times a day and the soft food once a day for now. I know i'm not under feeding them and Ive even given them a little more than they are suppost to eat, just to see if it would make them stop. I will try that second suggestion, I use to do that alot when I would stimulate them, but now they can poo and pee on their own
Kittens have to have their genitals stimulated to go to the bathroom-the mother usually does that until they are so many weeks and can go potty on their own. Im not sure how old they are,,are they pottying on their own yet or do they still have to be stimulated? I know my baby kitty Elmo who we raised from about 2 weeks old still suckles on everything. Esp if there is a soft fuzzy blanket he kneads and ***** on it for hours...falls asleep and wakes up and resumes. Yes this can be a sign that they are abandoned but its very normal and you are doing everything the right way. They will grow out of it the older they get. My boy Milo is 10 and he still kneads all the time. Its a sign of being content as well ;)