Cats Community
Help with cat - vomiting and won't eat - vet was no help

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet cats!

Please help me if you have any idea what I could do to help my cat. Moochy is 3 years old and started vomiting a week ago. She coughed up two big hairballs in that time and wouldn't eat. I took her to the vet on the third day. The vet kept her for five days, did every test available and confirmed she has slight bilirubin and a very low white blood count but he couldn't find any cause. She doesn't have feline HIV or leukemia. He gave her broad spectrum antiobiotics and gave me some to give her now she's back home. But she still won't eat - she's lost loads of weight, and she's still vomiting - though it's only liquid now.

The vet didn't tell me how to keep her energy up or feed her with a syringe or anything and I don't htink they supplemented her the whole week! My uneducated theory is she had hairballs and started vomiting and developed cat anorexia after a few days of not feeling like eating. So her bilirubin would be due to anorexia. But that doesn't explain the blood count. The vet said all he could think of is that she got poisoned somehow. But she's an indoor cat and we live in a child-safe, clean house with no known poisons around.

Please give me some advice if you can as to what might be wrong and how we can help her eat again - or at least keep her energy up?? I'm desperate. I will look for another vet this week if she's no better because I was very unhappy with this first one - but it all cost us nearly $1000 so I don't know how much more I can do. If I can do anything myself in the meantime I want to....
Thanks in advance -
KW
Well...one advantage to going to another vet is if you get a better diagnosis and the new vet gives you a statement that the first vet shouldn't have missed it, you can sue for your money back. :)
Seriously, try to do is in the next few days, the longer you wait, the less chance it would hold up in court (This is small claims court, if you pursue it, let me know, I'll walk you through the process if you need help),

Otherwise...5 days is a long time. I'd worry that kitty has some sort of blockage that's put him off her feed (which could cause a small bleed, and thus a low WC count...but that's a guess, Quite a few other possibilities).

Is she breathing fine? (stuffy nose?) if not, that'll do it as well.
It could be a stress reaction from being uprooted for that five days.

Regardless, go to the pet store, pick up a milk supplement (like KMR milk replacer) and get a feeding syringe.

Follow the instructions for mixing it up (I prefer the powdered, its storable). Now,gently push the syringe through the gap between the teeth at the BACK of the jaw. Press gently where the jaw joints to help get kitty to open his mouth. Place the tip of the syringe at the BASE of the tongue (back) and firmly (not to fast, or two slow) squeeze and dispense.

It's best to get kitty in a slightly tipped back position to ensure it doesn't just dribble out.

Otherwise, if you think hairballs are an issue, than treat with a good remedy from the pet store.
A similar thing happened to my cat a few years ago.  He puked, then stopped eating entirely, and wasn't peeing or pooping either.  A battery of tests, an operation and $3K later, it turned out to be a hairball (as hard as a rock) lodged in his intestine.  They removed it surgically.  We now shave him fairly regularly.

I would definitely get a second opinion.  Also - other times, when our cat quits eating, we give him baby food (at our vet's suggestion), and that usually gets him to come around again and start getting back to normal.
My cat stopped eating and drinking for a few days and was vomiting clear liquid. He had no energy, was depressed and hiding... Force- feeding him didn't work, he just kept throwing up.  This is actually the second time it's happened and I was really worried about him.  The vet I took him to two years ago retired so I decided to go to another one.

They did x-rays, a blood test, checked him from front to back, took his temperature, and found nothing wrong with him.  Well, the blood test showed some slight abnormalities but she said it was probably due to dehydration.  He was severely dehydrated so they hooked him up to an IV for a few days.  Still was not making any progress 48 hours later, was not eating or drinking, and the vet didn't know what to do next.  She thought it could be cancer or pancreatitis but I would have to pay for more tests that might not find the problem.

I decided to go back to the old vet and get my cat's file.  I remembered some of what he had done and tried to explain it to the new vet but she wasn't really taking what I was saying seriously.  I presented her with the file and she read it over and agreed it was the exact same problem.  I left her with the file at about 11:30 AM and went home thinking my cat wasn't going to make it.  He hadn't eaten since Sunday and it was now Friday.  It was not looking good and we were running out of time.

Then I got a call from the vet at 4:00 PM.   She had given my cat medication to calm his stomach and stimulate his hunger and he finally ate something and didn't throw it up!  She did exactly what the other vet did and it helped immediately!  Whatever medication he was given was like a miracle drug.  She was even shocked at how quickly he responded to the medication.  I brought him home at 7:30 and he is doing very well so far.  

The vet was looking for some serious underlying problem the whole time to explain the vomiting and it was probably just something he ate that severely upset his stomach...

We're going to keep giving him the medication the next few days and if he doesn't regain his appetite we have a high calorie cat food paste that we will force feed him, rub a bit on the roof of his mouth, but I think he's going to be ok.  So far so good, anyway.

Hopefully this information helps somebody out there.  Maybe it will save someone some money or even save a cat's life.
Same for my 10 month-old male siamese x: vomiting, not defecating, not eating or drinking. The vet took two x-rays, sent the x-rays to the internist, found "nothing remarkable".  My cat was on IV's for dehydration and put on anti-biotocs for high white blood cell count (indication of an infection) and anti-vomiting medication. They even gave him an enema (that didn't work!).  They sent him home with furball/high fiber catfood (that he absolutely refuses to eat) and well wishes all around.

He is sick again three days later. I must admit that I slacked off on the anti-biotics yesterday because he looked so much better the second day. Today, he is vomiting clear liquid, foam, not eating.

I take responsibility.

I am worried about these hair-trigger responses to "sue the vet" or what ever care provider is invovled. Sometimes, it was our fault to begin with (hopefully, unintentionally) or just the way it had to be. Stop with the "SUE YOU" mentality already why don't you? And accept things as they are with some appreciation along the way.

My cat is still sick.  But my sincere and loving prayers for my kitty, my gratitude to two vets in the group practice may create as healing a space as possible. And, I must share: "DON"T STOP THE MEDS" with deep regret for having done so myself. .  I take responsibility. It is my fault.

I share this so that you don't repeat my mistake.

And may all our kitties be well really soon.
My 4 year old cat is doing same things...she is vomiting clear liquid/foam, she won't eat and doesn't drink much, vet said he couldn't find anything.  I am getting so worried about her, she has lost so much wieght...I just don't know what to do....can anyone help me???
hi and welcome...tell me how long has she been vomiting? is she eating at all?
My 10yrs old cat is the same...and he hasn't eat or drink for three days....he tried to go pee but seems like nothing he could pee and he just sit at the litter box for a long time...amd after that he just hide himself for the entire day....i'm so worry and thinking to send him to vet today...but i'm also worry about the bill i might not be able to afford...but knowing i can't leave him at home not eatting and can't pee so painful.......sigh.....i'm afraid the vet can't help my cat either...... >,<
hi and welcome, you REALLY need to get this kitty to a Vet asap....this isn't anything to postpone kitty is in alot of pain when unable to pass his urine, his bladder could burst...please don't wait another minute..its been plenty long enough..♥
My cat is very sick. He started with throwing up food and now it's down to clear liquid. He don't have any energy, that's to not eating and drinking hopefully. He's been like this for 2 days now. We called the vet and was told it could be a hair or string wrapped around his tongue. Our house is so safe, so I don't think it's a string. She said that he would have to be sedated to check out the back of his tongue. Has anyone come across this with one of your cats?
PLEASE  help me, if you can... Lil
The same thing happened with my 2 year old cat two days ago. He suddenly stopped eating or drinking after throwing up all what he had had before. He was mostly hiding when not seeking my attention and throwing up on my bed.

I was so stressed out and had to cancel my overseas flight ($300 cancelation fee) because I would never leave my cat with friends or his pet sitter in a such a condition.
I've read some posting here and decided NOT to go to a Vet RIGHT AWAY but to use some common sense. Upset stomach and food poison happen to people all the time, right? First I made a mistake trying to force some wet food (Fancyfeast) but he would throw it up.
- I started giving a bit of water every hour and he didn't vomit it. He is less dehydrated now; he started eating and even playing with his toys.
I think it was a hairball to start with, and then he ate a lot of cat grass that irritated his stomach (he threw up a big hairball and some cat grass).

The bottom line, we are going to his vet in 3 days just to check that everything is OK but don't get too stressed out right away, maybe it is just a hairball!
My 5 yr old cat stopped eating and drinking for 5 days now I brought her to the vet on monday he said she has a thickened bladder and is treating her for a bladder infection he gave her amoxicillin and glucosamine pill to help with the thickened bladder. Well she's been on that for 3 days and she's still not eating or drinking no poop or pee either... She vomited 4 days in a row but hasn't yet today. I'm scared we are going to loose her. I'm bringing her back to the vets tomorrow. Any suggestions on what to do to help my baby girl????
My cat was vomiting a lot and then wouldn't eat. After one trip to the vet & given pain relief and broad spectrum antibiotic injection, she stopped vomiting but wouldn't eat although seemed hungry. It turned out she had a gum ulcer at the back of her mouth just below a back tooth. Once that was treated she eat well again with in a couple of days.
cats shouldn't be on an antibiotic unless there has been a C&S done and a definite 'infection' present....same as for us.
that being said, she's started and now must finish...there is something more serious going on, could be dental as spyda suggested or many other things. first of all she needs to be put on an IV and hydrated after all the vomiting and not eating. A cat cannot go that long without food, fatty liver disease will start to shut down her organs.
be sure to get her to a Vet today with NO delay or it will be too late.
be sure the Vet does a more thorough testing and emergency care this time...
good luck to your dear little girl. keep up posted please♥
hi so my cat is 6 he was just diagnosed with diabetes but the vet thinks theres another underlining issue because he's a thin active cat. but yesterday he started puking for no reason even tho he had nothing in his stomach i didnt give him his insulin that morning and then i had to leave for work when i got home my mom told me he had kept puking while i was at work and he was just laying on the floor and wouldnt move at all. so i took him to the vet they said he was severely dehydrated and told me id have to pay almost a 1,000 dollars to keep him over night so they could give him fluids... and i dont have that kind of money laying around so i took him home and have been trying to give him water through a siring but if i give him to much he pukes up a yellowish water and then a foam.... im so worried hes my baby and i want him to get better please help me asap!!!!! im so worried about him.. and i need advice!!
He needs sub-q fluids to hydrate him. That's what they would give him overnite. Your vet can sell you a back of electrolyte fluids, needles, and give you simple instructions how to administer the fluids. It's under $50. Do it ASAP, please. Your cat's life depends on it. <3
My cat Silence is 8, long haired main coon, and had been vomiting the past 2 days. Will not drink water or eat his hard food. No energy, lying around. I don't believe he has used the litter. I have got him to eat a few treats, and some wet food which I added some water to, to help supplement him not drinking. I think he may have a hairball since he is long haired, so just tonight I've tried petroleum jelly for that. I don't have the money for an expensive vet visit. Please help. Any suggestions, stuff I could buy from pet store to help with dehydration? He is my baby and I would be devastated if I lost him right now. Please email ***@****
I am very sorry Silence is so ill, we cannot diagnosis we are only pet parents besides this cat needs to be seen by a Vet, I know money is tight...but he is your baby and you need to somehow find the money or make payment plans with a clinic or I'm sorry to say your baby will not live....he needs help and asap!!!!
I have a similar story to yours tabbycat1. What kind of medication did you give your cat to calm stomach and stimulate hunger??  Just found out that my kitty swallowed a 6 to 8 inch string. She has spent 3 nights at the vet because she is not eating by herself. Hooked up to ivys for dehydration. She passed the 6 to 8 inch string in her stool. Any comments or advice would be great!
sorry to hear of your kitties problems. you are asking a question to tabbycat1 who hasn't been on this forum since 2009. you need to be asking your Vet what he/she can give to calm her stomach and ask for a B12 injection to stimulate the appetite....this works very well.
offer her foods she loves...even some canned tuna(for a day or two only)...try different canned foods and find one she will like, even jarred baby food meats (with NO onion...just pure meat)...keep trying until you find something to interest her and get her eating....
best of luck♥
Thank you for your help! I appreciate it. Going to see what the vet says today. she looks 100% better than she did after being hooked up to IV. she just not has ate on her own. They are siring feeding her. Do you think it takes a couple days for her to eat after passing a string? Nervous at the vet to the point of not wanting to eat? She is using the potty which I'm very thankful for, holding food now, and no longer vomiting. Just don't understand why there is no prognosis after all these tests.
that is strange she is not trying to eat on her own....if the tests show nothing is wrong, it could very well be that she is like you say just too nervous to eat at the clinic and perhaps not being given a food she likes to get her interested either...
before taking her home be sure they demonstrate how to syringe feed properly...just in case you have to continue this for a few days...but I really think perhaps just getting her home,calming her down and giving her some tempting foods she will I HOPE eat for you!!!!
Keep us posted and best of luck.....♥
My kitten will be 3 months old on the 15th amd he was fine up until 2 days ago. He stopped being his normal self. All he would do was lay around. He could walk and was eating but today hes really skinny and weak. Hes puking up whatever i give him. Im on a fixed income and cant afford a vet right now since i just started working again. I need help please! Ive been in tears since i found him a few hours ago
I read comment and my cat is having the same symptoms could please tell me the name of the medicine that treat your cat thanks you can email me at ***@****
I hope you are able to give fluids to your kitty if you cannot take it to a vet, cats become dehydrated very quickly if vomiting and not holding fluids down. if the vomiting has STOPPED it is very important to rehydrate....please read the post I recently replied too.
it also leads to instructions on how to assist feed and lastly a video on how to properly give fluids by a dropper or syringe.
when a cat becomes severely dehydrated because of extensive vomiting it can lead to cardiac arrest....it becomes an emergency situation. IF the vomiting has not stopped by now, this kitty must see a Vet!!!!!

http://www.medhelp.org/health_pages/Pets/Syringe--Force-feeding-for-cats--Part-one/show/491?cid=2

and this video to show how

http://www.monkeysee.com/play/1334-cat-care-giving-liquid-medication

Cat keeps throwing up.
Two months ago my 11 year-old Kitty had a complete senior health check up at the vet and all was well. She has no parasites, no opportunity to eat poisonous things, and gets brushed every other day.

Kitty stopped eating when the cat food company changed her SO food. After 3 days of refusal to eat the new SO, I offered canned food. She ate a little and threw up within an hour.  For the last 3+ weeks we have tried numerous flavors of pate' variety of food.  Some she walks away from, and others she eats. But, the food gets thrown back up most of the time.

Needless to say, she has lost weight.  Kitty still has energy and shows interest in being fed, but doesn't eat one of the 2 meals offered each day. After 3 weeks, we still have vomiting at least every other day.

Calling my vet friend, she told me it is more serious for cats to stop eating for 48+ hours than it is for dogs and people.  She said to take Kitty in to be checked for Hepatic lipidosis and look at the bilirubin level when the blood work returns.   She also said vets at emergency clinics usually give a 10mg tab of famotidine when cats come in.  She also suggested milk thistle, might be useful.

I found some useful info on H.L. here:
http://maxshouse.com/Feline_Hepatic_Lipidosis.htm
. . . . .and a more 'light weight' discussion here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Feline_hepatic_lipidosis
your Vet friend is very right abt Hepatic Lipidosis it is critical for a kitty to eat their correct caloric need everyday.
I will send you two sites...this first one deals with ideas on how to transition cats over to canned food...maybe give you some hints on how to make the food more palatable for her.
I do advise with a vomiting kitty to feed 4-5x's per day and very small meals...just a few bites but more often.  IF THIS IS ONLY A DIGESTION ISSUE and NOT a medical one.

http://www.catinfo.org/docs/TipsForTransitioning1-14-11.pdf

this next video and write up from Dr. Becker talks abt vomiting vs regurgitation ...and may also give you some help. keep us posted if we can be of more help. good luck to kitty♥

http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2012/12/17/vomiting-vs-regurgitating.aspx?e_cid=20121217_PetsNL_art_1
also wanted to mention there is something you can try to 'entice' marti to eat...its called Bonita flakes, I believe it mentioned in the catinfo page..butnot sure. I've never had to use it but apparently most cats love it, just need to sprinkle a few flakes on their food to get them interested in eating...NOT to be used as a complete diet...

http://www.iherb.com/Cat-Man-Doo-Sprinkles-Crushed-Dried-Bonito-Flakes-for-Cats-Dogs-2-5-oz-71-g/46334
We just had a cat come into the animal hospital I work in that actually did have a string wrapped around the back of its tongue. They had to sedate the cat to get it unraveled which saved the cats life. So it is possible. It's important that the string doesn't make its way down inside your cat because that can create even more problems, even the worst could happen if it wraps around the intestines. :(  Please let your vet help you!
My 15 week old cat Delilah is in the same phase of trouble, she hasn't ate regularly in 3 days. When we feed her dry treats she eats 4 or 5 but that's it. She is supposed to be spunky and crazy like a baby kitten should be and now ses lathargic, she tries to get up and play but I watch her just struggle to even move. She just threw up again, yellowish liquid. I have a vet appt this morning. It seems when she tries to drink her water she can't get her tongue out to do it. I'm worried about our baby:( any suggestions?
well I'm really happy to read you are taking this kitten to a Vet asap....its important to find out WHY Delilah has stopped eating than to get some food into her by 'assist feeding' if necessary, if you read posts I made above this one you'll find links to video's on how to safely do this...

cats are unique from humans or dogs their systems  go into Hepatic Lipidosis or Fatty Liver Disease very quickly when not eating..this is their internal organs shutting down and if not caught quickly the prognosis is very poor.

just eating a few treats per day is not giving her the nutrition she requires to live....this is a very DANGEROUS situation, she sounds like she is very weak already if she cannot even lick her water properly...I sure hope she gets the help she needs asap...

http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2011/12/13/feline-hepatic-lipidosis.aspx
Sounds like your cat has a urinary tract infection. It is very simple to diagnose and not too costly compared to other items cats can get.
What medication is this? Please respond ASAP. DJ, my four year old cat is not looking so well. Our Vets have not been the most helpful and I'm really scared for him. Please tell me the name of your medication.
I have a kitten about 4 or 5 months old. He is very playful, and eats anything. I took another kitten from the street 5 days ago. She had her leg cut, and I cured her, and took her to her new home today. From yesterday, he won't play, just sleeps, and doesn't use litter box. He doesn't have any other symptoms. Could it be, that the other kitten had some disease that transferred to my kitten, but she didn't show symptoms?  How sick is he and what should I do?
Hi. My kitty, Rain, stopped eating, hardly drinks water, has thrown up a clear foamy liquid but first time it was like a grass green, and he's sleeping all the time with no energy. This has gone on now about 4-5 days. He's an indoor cat. He went outside twice for a couple hrs about a week ago. I can't get him to eat at all. He'll occasionally sip water, and has gotten really thin! My ex just stopped paying me my child support and alimony out of the blue, so I don't have money to go to the vet. Please Help...Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!!?? <3
My two cats did the same thing. Started with vomiting food, then yellowish liquid and foam. (Bile) took them to the vet and $700 later both had a bunch of injections and blood and urine tests. Nothing is wrong. After a few days of not eating their liver can suffer so I took them back in and they got the fluid and supplements to help for the day, and acid reflux pills and something to induce an appetite. Well one is fine now but my other is still not eating or drinking, no energy, won't play. Just curls up to the heat register and stares at the wall. Took him back for X-rays and nothing! So he is now overnight on an IV drip. I pick him up tomorrow. I can't stop crying. My bill is over $1200 which I am pulling from my tiny RRSP. What if I get him home tomorrow and he still doesn't eat? This is so frustrating! And I can't believe how many others are going through similar issues, and vets still can't find solutions. My poor little boy! I miss him so much. I don't want him to die. :(
I am so sorry this is happening to your two kitties....I know the Vet must have asked all these questions too, but since its affecting BOTH kitties at the same time makes me really suspicions that they've eaten something they shouldn't have.
is there any chemicals or plants they could have eaten? are they indoor cats or do they roam?
wht do you feed them? have you recently changed foods or bought new cans or a new bag? just wondering if the food could have been contaminated???
My cat (6yrs) started vomiting  during the week but i didnt noticed until i was working from home 4 days ago, thought was a hairball, which is not normal for my cat and  i wasnt really paying attention but .i had noticed that he wasnt eating his normal ammounts of food over the week but like i said i didnt pay attention.....after alll day vomiting i decided to take him to the ve next day she was great , they took xray nothing inthere then they sent me home with famotidine every 12 vhrs, he kept vomiting a foamy yellowish.... Vet kept in touch with me and asked me to bring him back in because she didnt want my baby to be dehydrated , took him back and stay there for a couple of hours after another round of xray she called and said i need to get an ultrasound so we did (2days ago) and nothing was wrong just his intestine a little swallen wich she gave another medication and sent me home....hes hasnt had any food or water in a few days vet gave him fluids 4&3 days agoso i was ok ..yesterday vomit again when i tried to feed him with syrenge immediatly called vet again she said to wait and give him small portions, ive been given him jus pedialyte for babies so he doesnt dehydrated, i found a homeophatic drops at the petstore that says it would help with all the symptoms my baby has, and this am when try to give hime the pedialyte he threw up again foamy yellowish .....im desperate and i already spent $1100 in vet bills cant afford anything else, PLEASE HELP