Cats Community
Limping Cat

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet cats!

Limping Cat

I came home from work to day to discover that my niece had been playing with her new cat, twiggy, a  ~6 month old male, not yet neutered; current on shots. She was holding it up over her head and the cat objected and began squirming. As she was putting him down he twisted out of her hands and landed badly. He was limping and meowing in pain. When I first saw him he was very calm, but hiding in the hallway. He allowed me to feel all four of his legs, squeeze along the knee joints and paws. I tried playing with a laser light to see if he would walk for me and he was very lethargic. In a person I would call his reactions "guarded", he was walking but very slowly and not with the usual vigor with which he played. I lifted him up his hind legs by placing my hand on his belly and he began to complain, when I actually pressed on his RIGHT leg, he howled, hissed, and "ran" off...He was refusing to put weight on his LEFT leg. I walked away, as I had obviously caused him a lot of pain and he was unhappy with me. As I stood in the kitchen, he made a weird sound, almost like gagging and I instinctively ran into the bathroom to check on him. He tried to climb behind the toilet to get away from me. I picked him up, talking softly and supporting him the entire time. When I put him down he walked away from me, limping but using the leg, and laid down under some chairs, clearly wanting to be left alone. Is this something that should be checked out tonight or is it ok to see how he is doing in a few? I don't think its broken since he is able to use the leg, but I'm wonder about dislocation or a sprain. I didn't feel any swelling or heat on the leg. He is a super sweet cat with the most gentle disposition I have ever seen. I don't want him in pain if I can help it.

thanks.
Ambam
  • New kitten (4 replies):
    One week ago we took a 6 month old siamese kitten and he...[more]
  • Leg Ingury (2 replies):
    My cat was involved in a cat fight earlier today. I sep...[more]
  • dog limping (1 replies):
    The other day i took my dog for a walk she slipped and l...[more]
Right, its a year old Female, not a six month male. I only live here part time and we've only had it a week...She is also sneezing a lot and has really watery eyes (these were here before the leg problem). Vet tomorrow despite the teenager raging about having to change her plans.
She may have had multiple injuries from the fall.  The sneezing and watery eyes is an upper respiratory infection.  The stress from the fall and subsequent examinations is likely to make that worse.  I would monitor her movement and behavior without picking her up or pressing on her.  If she is still limping I would take her to the vet.
Honestly, I doubt its a fracture, her ability to use the leg is increased most of the time after rest. I'm leaning towards a dislocated hip. She's pretty miserable, and if they haven't gotten her to the vet by the time I get off work, I'll be taking her, and quite possibly leaving her with the vet to find a new home because waiting to get treatment is just cruel, and clear evidence that the teenager is not ready for a pet.
I agree, GOOD FOR YOU for taking responsibility for this poor little guy. The kitty is obviously suffering and needs attention AND better care.
please let us know how this all unfolds today....bless you.
Turned out not to be too bad. Knee cap is loose and tendon stretched. Twiggy got a cortisone shot for her leg to reduce the swelling, and the doc said it should help with her sneezing, as she apparently has allergies. If she's not better in 5 days she's to go back. Also, apparently the extremely docile Twiggy is a ferocious mean beast at the vet, and he said the next exam will likely be done with her sedated. (This cat let me pick up, move and squeeze on all four limbs. She apparently hissed at and tried to bit the vet when he touched her.).

So its better than I thought, and I will be watching the cat and the teenager closely.
its always the 'quiet ones' isn't it..lol
The Vet can use a mask on kitty so as not to get bit!! he doesn't need to go so far as sedation, they'll do anything for more $$$.
well at least its not broken, but obviously kitty has had some serious trauma, whats wrong with this niece, no wonder he hisses when touched, I would too.
thanks for letting us know and also for taking initiative with this matter, please speak frankly to the niece and keep an eye open for the more abuse...
It really wasn't abuse, she was just not thinking. She was holding the cat up and didn't realize that Twiggy REALLY disliked this. She won't be doing that again, I assure you. Last night Twiggy was feeling well enough to climb up on the back of the chairs again, so She's improving. She's still not willing to be touched (complete opposite of usual behavior) but its improving slowly (only one she still "likes" is Grandma, who absolutely does not want or care for cats. I told her its because she is the only one quiet enough in the house for the cat to approach when she wants to!).