Cats Community
Plasma cell pododermatitis

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet cats!

Plasma cell pododermatitis

My cat has been diagnosed with plasma cell pododermatitis by two vets. The first one wanted to put her on cortisone indefinitely, I didn't want her to have cortisone as the first option. The second recommended a 6 month course of antibiotics which helped but didn't completely get rid of the problem. After stopping the antibiotics the problem is slowly returning to it's previous state.

Does anyone have information and treating this problem in cats? Anything helpful?

hi and welcome....sorry about your poor kitty. I really wasn't aware of this condition before doing this research for you.
is her paw opened or only swollen?

It appears to be an autoimmune disease and 50% of the cases respond to Doxycycline (antibiotics) is that what your Vet tried?

I've also read it can be an ALLERGY-TYPE disease. have you tried food and litter changes? One case mentioned briefly it was discovered the dog in question was allergic to new carpeting (chemicals).
Just throwing out suggestions to you.
I've included some sites that I found below, these are just random and I haven't read myself. when I saw a reference I copied it and pasted, so I was going back and forth....so sorry if its all mumble jumbled, hopefully some of the info will help you with the decision you have to make....I ask you to please keep us posted, I would really like to know what treatment you will try and how it works.....wishing you and kitty all the very best of luck♥

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/body_plasma_cell_pododermatitis.html

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&A=642&S=1

I've also read that interferon can be used and perhaps safer than steroids(?)

http://www.dr-addie.com/stomatitis.html#ifn

here is info on prednisone:

http://www.petplace.com/drug-library/prednisone-prednisolone/page1.aspx

http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1111/j.1365-3164.2004.411_22.x/abstract

heres a link to a study being done:

http://vet.sagepub.com/content/44/1/80.full
Thanks Opus. I will take a look at the links. Yes. The medication my cat received was Doxycycline. The vet said it doesn't always work.

The condition isn't at the dreadful stage with cracking and bleeding paws. It hasn't got that far yet. I don't know if all cats get to that stage or not. I guess that is the next question. The front paws are just a bit swollen at the moment.  I can tell that she is starting to become uncomfortable again about a month after stopping treatment. The treatment cleared the condition completely on the back paws and about 80% on the front paws. Towards the end she was starting to lose a little weight. She really hated being given medication twice a day for six months. She is such a little sweetie. Couldn't understand why she was being tortured.

I think my vet is doing the best she can. She said cortisone isn't used anymore to treat that condition. Thought I would ask if there are any new ideas out there.

Anything is worth a try right now. Except Interferon and cortisone! If interferon for cats is anything like what it is for humans I won't put her through that. It is awful stuff and she would never be the same again after having it. Life after treatment haas to be worth living.

I could try changing her diet. At least that won't make her sicker. She usually has fresh tuna, rabbit, or mackerel for dinner and packaged food for breakfast in addition to the usual biscuits. I guess I could try changing the packaged stuff and the biscuits first. Although, if she was responding to the doxycycline you would think that indicates that the infection theory is correct.

I will post the info if I find out anything more.
hi again. I agree with you about the interferon and cortisone treatments...there has to be quality of life during and after treatments to consider.
I'm just going to make a quick comment on her diet esp the fish. I will send you another article to read that I posted recently on the dangers of feeding fish...

http://healthypets.mercola.com/sites/healthypets/archive/2012/01/03/fish-as-a-protein-source.aspx

If you could stay with the rabbit, which btw is an excellent diet...do you feed the whole rabbit so she is getting the calcium etc?
and if by 'biscuits' you mean dry food, I would highly recommend stopping that and going to a canned food ,there are so many preservatives and chemicals in the dry food....its just a possibility that she could be sensitive to one or all?
I'm glad her paws haven't broken open and I sure hope that won't happen...poor baby, must be terribly painful for her.
good luck and please keep us posted....btw whats kitties name?
Thanks Opus.

Lilly and I have looked over the links. She is sitting here next to keyboard and purring right now. She says that having plasma cell pododermatitis isn't fun but it isn't too bad. At least she got out of the animal shelter as a kitten after selecting Odin to take her home. Now she has fresh food, a full time servant and numerous retainers. Lilly has agreed to try and eat less fish and more rabbit. Not too difficult as she really likes rabbit.

One of the links mentioned some things about doxycycline which I will follow up on with the vet:
"The reconstituted oral suspension is only good for 2 weeks. After that, it must be discarded."
I was given 1-3 months supply each time. I am wondering if the effectiveness of the doxycycline was reduced for part of her treatment.

Also, "Doxycycline does not kill bacteria; it merely curtails their ability to reproduce. For the invading bacteria to be killed, the host's immune system must be active and effective. This may not be the best choice medication for immune compromised patients."
I don't have reason to think that she is immune compromised, but will follow up on it anyway. She has had cat flu as a kitten and has been vaccinated. I worried that the vaccinations may have caused an autoimmune problem initially. I will review the diet. I tried quite hard to keep her eating a wide range of foods when she was a kitten but she gradually trained me not to feed her chicken and other tributes. She is about 2.5 yrs now.

I'm so impressed that you have both spent the time reading the links I found for you...Lily is a very lucky little lady to have found such a caring parent.
I'm glad you are following up with her Vet, I hope you get some good results in that area too.
It wouldn't hurt to give her a probiotic to strengthen her immune system especially following antibiotics and since you did mention she had the 'cat flu' as a kitten. I will give you a link to the best one on the market(one I use too)...it has the most active strains of bacteria, comes in a powder form so its easy to sprinkle a bit on her food.(abt 1/8 teaspoon).
this one has no fillers, soy, etc so its safe for cats.
I've ordered internationally from iherb MANY times they are a reputable company with very low shipping rates..I think its only $4 US to ship.

http://www.iherb.com/Garden-of-Life-Primal-Defense-Powder-HSO-Probiotic-Formula-81-g/3159?at=0

this is another supplement that is safe for cats and very good for the immune system, its one I've never had the need to use but its highly recommended. guidelline is 20mg per lb once a day. I think it comes in 250mg capsules..therefor for a 10lb kitty abt 3/4 of a capsule....start lower to be sure she doesn't reject it.

http://www.iherb.com/Symbiotics-Lactoferrin-100-60-Capsules/4088?at=0

wishing you and Lily all the luck in the world, please continue to post her updates or anything else you'd like to just chat about anytime..♥
My cat was 2 yrs old when he was diagnosed with plasma cell pododermatitis. After 6 mos of various treatments with no avail, my vet tried a drug usually used to treat skin diseases in dogs. The drug is Atopica 25mg. My cat was given 1 tablet twice a day initially, then lesser quantities. After 6 weeks, my cat was cured. I continued to give 1 tablet twice a week for 3 weeks and then stopped. It's now 1 1/2 years later and the disease has not returned. My cat is now happy and healthy. Hope this helps.
thankyou for that information. Atopica(cyclosporine) has been used off label for cats in some resistant skin conditions such as EGC (eonsinophilic granuloma complex)...an alergic (allergic) reaction to food/flea bites/environmental inhalents.
I'm glad it was successful in also treating pododermatitis..
Atopica/cyclosporine is less harmful than using steroids but none the less is a powerful immuno-suppressant medication and needs to be watched closely for adverse reactions especially with the kidneys....I am so glad your kitty saw such great improvement with little or no side effects.
I will send you an article from the Merck Vet Manual showing that cyclosporine(in cats) where this is mentioned.

http://www.merckvetmanual.com/mvm/index.jsp?cfile=htm/bc/72400.htm

also the drug.com site where you can read up more on Atopica...again thanks for posting this and I hope your kitty continues to stay healthy :-)

http://www.drugs.com/vet/atopica.html
He was at the point where he required surgery on his pads. He was bleeding and leaving blood stains wherever he walked. Once again, it's been 1 1/2 years since treatment stopped and no return of the disease.
I'm so glad when I can read a success story......good for him :)))))
My cat is only 9 months old and has been dealing with this since he was 3 months old. It gets so bad that his pads ulcer and bleed. We have spent $2000 on vet bills trying to treat the problem.  He was getting steroid shots. They worked but his pads would swell and bleed the next week.  He has also tried doxycycline with no help. He will be trying atopica after he finished up these other medications next week.  He Is such a happy beautiful cat and I fear this disease will kill him. I am really praying atopica works.
sure hope it works for your deal kitty too......he is much to young to be going thru so much. keep us updated, sending you both some kitty hugs ((>^.^<))
Thank you. He had some blood work done today and everything looked good. He will be starting Atopica tomorrow. I will keep you updated.
So glad Iv come across this post and seen some success stories. My poor kitty has had swollen pads for about 8 weeks but with no pain. Taken him back and forth to the vets in this time but hasn't been diagnosed until today as his feet blistered literally over night. She had advised steroids and if no help then atopica. Hope everyone else's kitty's are doing good :)
Hi, that's really interesting that your cat was given cyclosporine, it's quite a strong drug with some risks but I know personally it saved my bowel (also auto immune disease). I will suggest to my vet. I've got the traditional vet suggesting lifetime steroids which I just can't accept, I hate steriods and feel they killed my last cat (can't prove but bloodwork before steroid treatment for cough fine, then suddenly after steroid shot and tablets, kidney failure). Then I have a holistic vet saying that feeding raw can really help the condiiton. My cat just won't seem to adapt to fully raw diet though. I had sourced grain free kibble in case it was a grain allergy but it doesn't seem to have helped. Any updates from anyone. Poor Luca is feeling very sorry for himself, all four pads affected but one has sort of opened, has a big sore round patch on it, holistic vet said it looked like a burn but I think it is open blister or ulcer from the condition. Thanks... Josie - yet another concerned kitty owner.
sorry to read what your kitty is going thru, this is a very complex disease, but does have strong allergic components....read all the thread through for info and follow the links.
I agree that Cyclosporine/Atopica is a very strong drug with many side effects...but it is safer to be on than other forms of steroids for long term usage.

I posted this  link above that suggests doxycycline (an antibiotic) has shown success in abt 50% of cases. I will post it again. I will also add if yuo and your Vet do decide to use this antibiotic to be sure and give a probiotic to prevent yeast infections afterward. I can give you the name of an excellent probio. safe for use in cats. let me know

A few things I will mention...just don't try grain free KIBBLE...it has to be grain free CANS...

do you have carpets in your home? many carpets are treated with chemicals for antistain/water repellants etc..also do you use chemicals for cleaning floors and carpets? Scented litter?
Does Luca go outside? has the grass been treated with chemicals? fertilizers?
think of anything he maybe STEPPING on since the allergy is related to his paws.

From some reading I've done, there is always some success with treating the immune system with a variety of supplements, this will require alot of looking up and writing out so I won't unless you indicate to me that you are interested in trying this route....

all the best to poor Luca, hope to hear from you again♥
Hi there, I suspect my cat may also be suffering from this disease. She's had swelling of her right front  and persistent lameness for nearly three months. Her symptoms wax and wane: the last few days have been the worst yet. She's been to 2 vets, four visits, X-rays, covenant (2 times) no diagnosis. I'd be interested in knowing the probiotic you suggest.... She's going to a third vet soon
hi Jan, I was just checking the computer before heading off to bed, welcome. sorry to hear abt your kitty, I'm glad you've read thru my previous post...like I said its a very complex disease. I will copy and paste the same answer I gave to another pet parent...if you live in the US and cannot find these products at a human health food outlet that order from iherb. they are a very good company to deal with. . if you have anything else I can help you with please post anytime,even with just an update...hope all goes well for her and an answer will be found...please read back further to the topic of steroid use and the alternative atopica..good luck♥

heres the post..

I should have added that iherb.com is located in California...and you or anyone else reading this post if they would like to order these products for their cat(s) go ahead and quote a coupon discount with the code SED957 its good for a $4-10 discount depending on size of your order....
At what stage of the disease was your kitty?  Was it in a early or late stage?  My cat has open and bleeding pads at this point.   Just wondering if Atopica would help her at her stage of the disease.
hi.....bosclo hasn't posted on Medhelp since August. I will give you a link so you can send them a private message with your question and they will get an email notification than hopefully you'll get a reply.

http://www.medhelp.org/private_messages/new?personal_page_id=149129&recipient_id=3213507

In my opinion its not to late to try Atopica, talk to a good Vet abt this and add the supplements that I listed in the previous post.

good luck to you, don't give up without trying everything, your kitty must be in a lot of pain...post again and let us know how things are going please. our best of wishes♥
I ordered some of the pro biotic that you mentioned and was wondering if I give it to her with the antibiotics or after her treatment is done in 30 days.
Just saw your post.  I took her to the 2nd vet this morning.  First Vet diagnosed her and put her on Prednisolone.  She has been on that for 6 weeks now and I have been weening her off that but it hasn't helped her much.  They aren't bleeding as much but no change other than that.  I printed out some of what I read here and he said that the Atopica was a chemo treatment for cancer and didn't recommend that.  He did confirm and diagnosis and gave her a Cortisone injection that time releases and put her on an antibiotic.  Either she is a really tough cat or it hasn't been that painful for her.  Doesn't seem to bother her at all.  I have had her locked up in the tack room in the barn for the last 6 weeks but she doesn't seem to mind that either but I try to spend some time with her every day and keep her environment clean for her owie's on her feet.  Hope I can turn her loose soon before the mice take over the barn :-)  Please let me know when and how to give her the pro-biotic.
I hope you've read thru all the above posts and searched the links given...I'm glad you've ordered the probiotic it is necessary esp FOLLOWING the use of antibiotics....
did your Vet(I hope) prescribe the antibiotic that has  good results with pododermatiitis..doxycycline helps in 50% of cases....so I hope this is the one prescribed. I think I ppsted a link to that above, if not let me know and I will find it again..

I don't like steroids...unless absolutely necessary when all else has failed. Atopica is like a steroid but IMO safer. It was a poster named bosclo Aug 23 above that said it cured her cat....(I have no knowledge that this is widely used for this)
Atopica is serious medication but it is used OFF LABEL for cats in some circumstances..it targets specific cells in the immune system, its an immuno-suppressant medication....not only for use as a chemo drug for cancer.

http://www.marvistavet.com/html/cyclosporine.html

all steroid use can lead to health problems, and the use of Atopica is no different....but your Vet went ahead and used prednisolone for an 'extended' period so I find it odd that he would be against Atopica.....both can cause serious problems. however if she hasn't had any relief from the pred. than I doubt Atopica would benefit her either(?)

the probiotic should be started following the antibiotic. best given after a meal. start with 1/32 tsp. mixed with yogurt or if kitty balks give via syringe mixed with broth. or if kitty will take okay it is possible to just sprinkle this on her food.
if not gassy or tummy upset you can increase this up to max of 1/8 tsp a day.

the lactoferrin I posted abt above is also very good for the immune system.

wishing you and kitty the very best of luck with the antib...sure hope kitty gets some relief real soon....this has got to be very painful :(
Hi!  I am so glad I found this thread!  It is nice knowing I'm not alone on this bumpy ride! :-)  I befriended a stray kitty almost a year ago.  When I first saw him I noticed he walked funny & thought he had some type of neurological problem.  When he finally let me get close enough to him, I saw that his nails had grown into the pads of his feet & came out the top of his paws!  Several months later when he finally allowed me to touch him, I wrangled this poor soul up & took him to the vets office to be fixed & to have his feet taken care of.  I kept him inside during his healing process & he has never left. :-)  I always thought the swelling on all four pads was from the ingrown nails & figured it would eventually go away.  Well, a year later one of his paws split open & he was diagnosed with plasma cell pododermatitis.  He is on Doxycycline 40 MG twice a day (for 3 weeks now).  The ulcer on his foot has started to heal but other then that he's shown no other improvement.  I was thinking about starting him on the supplement Lactoferrin that you suggested.  Is that ok for him to take while hes on the antibiotic?  He is not immune compromised (tested negative for FIV) but I would just like to give him the best chance at getting over this.
thank God for kind people such as yourself, who take in and care for some of these poor suffering little animals...my goodness can you imagine the pain he must have been enduring?

Yes you can start him on the Lactoferrin while he is on the antibiotic....however when he's FINISHED the antibiotic you should than also use the probiotic that I also mentioned above, but not until after he's done. that will help to prevent an overgrowth of bacteria that is common aft antibiotic use(same for us humans btw).

Another supplement that you should be using is Turmeric.for inflammation. the one brand you need is the following. it is free of anything a cat shouldn't take and is 100% organic free of fillers and additives.
Open the capsule and mix the full amount in wiht the food...or syringe. I always start with less to be sure its well tolerated by kitty before giving the full 500mg. you could also spread it out and use 1/2 cap in a.m. the other half in the eve....to save up to $10 on your first order from iherb quote this SED957(I am in NO way associated with iherb, I'm just a good customer)

http://www.iherb.com/Doctor-s-Best-Best-Curcumin-C3-Complex-500-mg-120-Capsules/13

I sure wish you and kitty the very very best of luck that the antibiotic and supplements do heal those poor little feet up real soon for him. please post anytime and also keep us updated on how things are going, we are real interested in following his progress...btw whats his name???
Hi there!  This kitty’s name is Scardy Cat, not very creative by very fitting! Lol  
Thank you for the $10.00 off, I will be placing my order for all three items after I post this. :-)  
I will defiantly keep you posted on how he is doing & will check back frequently to read other threads. Lol  
He also has another symptom of the Pododermatitis which is swelling of the bridge of the nose.  The Doc said the swelling should go down but prob not all the way, so he will always have a Pinocchio nose lol   Im OK with it though…..it makes him even more unique but he snores worse than my boyfriend! :-/  I know I have a long haul ahead of me with him but he’s so worth it, he lets me know that he loves me every day in his own Scardy Cat way. Lol    I will upload a few more pics of him whenever the server allows me to.  Thank you for all your help!
hello Scardy Cat...that sure is some miserable looking swelled up nose you have, so glad its not affecting your breathing, I sure hope all these supplements and antib's will help you out real soon...your still cute. and I am sure you are worth every bit of love and care your dear mommy is giving you....we are pulling for you.♥
How's our boy Scardy Cat doing? Is he still on the antibiotics and are the feet or the swelling on his nose getting any better? let us know, been thinking of him....♥
Hi Opus!  Thank you for checking on us!  Scardy is doing great, he is still on his antibiotic & will be for about 2 more months.  He just started the Turmeric & Lactoferrin a few days ago, so far so good.  His bleeding foot is almost completely healed up but all the swelling & puffiness is still there.  All in all he is a much happier boy then he was 1 year ago. :-)
well thats good news...not great yet, great would be to hear he was all healed up no more swelling...but its coming right.
you've gone above and beyond for this little stray guy...he stole your heart didn't he:)
of course he's much happier a warm home, a loving mamma and his sore little feet getting looked after.
keep us updated, love good outcomes:))
My cat has been on Atopica for over a year.  He gets two doses a day.  His paws stay cleared up unless we miss a few doses.  However, his dermatitis has spread to his hind legs and belly.  I feel bad for the poor guy.  He is still happy and energetic as can be.  People think my wife and I are crazy for spending $4000 on vet visits but he is a happy cat and we won't give up on him.   He sees a pet dermatologist twice a year and sometimes has to get antibiotic shots for his hind legs and belly.   I hope everyone has good luck with their cats and please don't give up on them.
Hi!  Here is an update on Mr. Scardy Cat and his Pododermatitis.  
We are finishing up the 2nd month of antibiotics & supplements, so far so good!  The ulcer on his left front pad is completely healed, all that remains is a pink stripe on his regularly black pad.  The scar is soft and shows no sign of weakness.  The sponginess in all four of his feet is gone completely.  The swelling is completely gone in the back feet and about 95% gone in the front.  He seems to be a whole lot more comfortable when he walks and even seems to be re-teaching himself how to walk correctly.  He is a much more pleasant & social boy, he has been running & playing with my three other cats.  He will never have super model feet due to the damage that the severe ingrown toenails caused but I am very pleased with all the improvements he has made.  He has one more month of antibiotics left and hopefully that will be it!  He still has a long road ahead of him but I hope a grain free diet, supplements & unlimited TLC will make the trip easier on him and keep the Pododermatitis at bay! 
OH that is great news for Mr. Scardy...I am soooo glad the antibiotics are helping him and his poor little feet, I can only imagine how painful it was for him to walk previous to your loving help....yes keep up the grain free diet, supplements and of course the TLC....♥
I just tried to post a comment, and it went to the Community page.  Not sure how to post; am new doing this.  Hope this is posting to the right group!

My picture is of my kitty, nicknamed Podo, who had plasma cell pododermatitis.  It was taken March 13, 2012.  Both front feet were affected.  The masses were excised, he was given a shot of I think depo, and was on Doxy for weeks.  It took three months, but he is totally cured so far, over a year later.  One problem I've noticed recently, though, his front legs tremble a  bit when he is standing.  Is there anyone who has a similar problem?  He is  FIV+.  Was caught outside and used to be feral, is not pretty much a mush, but won't tolerate me handling his feet.
My cat Chaos seems to have the same problems with his feet that yall are mentioning but he also has an ulcer in his left eye and, as told by the vet, in his mouth as well.  Could that be the same thing or do you think he has something different? He is an indoor outdoor cat.  I will try to keep him in over the next week or two to see if he improves at all but it's gonna be hard! My vet doesn't seem to be sure what is going on with him.  She gave him a couple antibiotic (Cefovecin) injections over the past couple weeks and put him on a low dose of prednisone. The chewing is somewhat at bay but there is definitely still some inflammation and irritation. I've bee using an antibiotic ointment in his eye which has just about done the trick.
Hi and Welcome!
  Has your cat been diagnosed with Plasma Cell Pododermatisis? I affects the pads of the feet but also can affect the other soft tissues on the cats.  My cat has it and it is also effecting his nose.  You may want to ask your vet about it,

I also strongly recommend you talk to your vet about stopping the steroid (prednisone).  Cats have a very hard time with steroids and they can have a very bad effect on your kitty's body.  Also be careful with anything but oral antibiotics with your kitty.  Cats have a very different metabolism then other animals and the inject-able antibiotics (although very convenient) can make your kitty very sick.

Also ask your vet about the possibility of this being a food allergy.  My other kitty has a grain allergy and sometimes he will get a lesion or abscess inside his mouth.

Good luck!
Thanks for your reply! My vet didn't really give us any kind of diagnosis.  She said she thought it might be a combination of things. He is currently on a holstic grain free dry food.  I tried to make a switch to raw which he practically refused. I then tried canned but we went a week and a half or so with him not taking in enough before I put him back on dry.  Do you feel like the stress of me trying to switch up his food could have set all of this in motion. It's the only thing that correlates with the timing.  I was switching his food in the first place because he was eating junk dry food and he's overweight. I don't like his being on the steroids either. He has a few more doses and I'm done with it.  I'm thinking of asking my vet if we can try doxycycline. Is your cat still doing ok?  Do you feel like the turmeric helped with the inflammation.  I may try that too. I recently stated giving him raw goats milk with added cultures for his belly. Thanks again for the response!
I'm not sure if switching his food would be enough to set off this kind of reaction but kitty's are really sensitive to things so I guess it might be possible.  Sounds like you are feeding him very well, I'm glad to hear that!  I think the Turmeric helped out a little.  I think I just got lucky to have a great vet and good advise from here, it was probably a combination of everything that helped my boy.  The cultures are a wise option, it really helps with the antibiotics and upset tummy's.  I noticed a big difference in my boy a few weeks after I started him on them.  Just stay on top of you vet & don't be afraid to ask a lit of questions, that is why we pay them a lot of money. lol

Good luck with you kitty and remember we are always here if you ever need any type of help.
Wow! I am soooo glad I found this thread! My cat Simon has been struggling with this disease off and on for 6 months now. We had to take him to the vet today because his paws are raw and bleeding now. This is much worst than the past. The vet had no clue what was wrong with him. Treatment he gave was steroids, antibiotic, and liquid fungal medication. Said "he was shooting from the hip and treating all three areas that it could be. Infection, Allergy and fungal. I have now printed out info on this disease to take to him Monday morning. Not sure what antibiotic he gave, but it was a shot along with the steroid. I was wandering what others might have done with their cats paws that were bleeding? I have his paws wrapped at the moment with some triple antibiotic ointment on the bandages. I'm a nurse so its hard not to think like one. I just don't want the paws to get worse and with wrapping them he doesn't want to walk which should help heal them faster one would think. Any thoughts on wrapping vs not wrapping?
hi...sorry to hear abt your dear Simon. I really know no more than what I've copied out and posted on this terrible condition. I will send a note to furmomof5 who is an active member and is treating her boy Scardy with some success, hopefully she will reply to your question.

all I know is it seems to be an allergy. to food (grains) also possibly scented or clay litter...

by the links I posted above it appears to respond to the antibiotic DOXYCYCLINE in 50% of cases....although both antibiotics and steroids use do not come without health effects of their own.

I've never read anything abt a topical antibiotic being useful...so can't comment on that. Was it Vet prescribed? and did the Vet recommend wrapping so to stop Simon from licking it off?
I would think wrapping would soon be torn off by a cat as they are extremely sensitive to anything on their feet. I would also think airing would be the best...but thats me.

Did you perhaps get anything new in your home just before this began? like new furniture or carpeting? or cleaning products? litter? to my mind since its a disease of the pads of the feet it almost seems its associated with something their feet are coming into contact with don't you think?

I would also suggest if possible you phone around and find a Vet that has some experience dealing with this....surprised that your Vet hadn't even heard of it..
Steroids will probably help for awhile, but its only treating the symptoms and not the cause...they can lead to diabetes in cats, thats why cyclosporine is somewhat safer...but still the risks.

good luck, keep us posted. I will send furmom a note maybe she can add more insight. let us know what the Vet says on Monday..
Hey! I'm new to all this as well. My vet seems pretty adamant about prednisone as well. I tried to persuade her to try doxycycline and some probiotics and turmeric like opus88 mentioned but was unsuccessful. We are now doing a food trial to see if he has a food allergy. She convinced me to keep him on the prednisone for a few more weeks.  Rather than the doxycycline she insisted that cephalexin would be better. I'm still not 100% sure he has podidermatitis. He has bumps a few bumps on his forhead and scattered around on his back as well. He possibly has a couple things going on. I too have to take him back in on Monday because the liquid antibiotic they gave me to squirt into his mouth is making him vomit. Guess I'll have to get another antibiotic injection for him. I just want to figure this out and make him better.  I have to discipline him to keep him from sticking his entire foot in his mouth to chew it. Poor kitty. Good luck Monday. If you get your vet to listen maybe you can give me some pointers as to how I can do the same :)
I think IMO you shuld try a new Vet...someone that is willing to listen.

if your kitty has a few bumps or scab type sore around his neck and back than this is definitely a food related allergy!!!! I can send you more info on all that if you are interested.
the food trial HAS to be a novel protien, meaning something he's never eaten before....
also should not contain any chicken or chicken based flavors....chicken is a huge allergan b/c its something they are exposed to so much..it is such a common ingredient in many foods even ones labeled beef even some fish diets :(

also PLEASE please whatever you do DO NOT ALLOW ANY VET TO GIVE AN ANITBIOTIC INJECTION...this injection is called convienia,  will add a post abt that drug, it is very dangerous and many VETs are not even listening to all the reports...read this. do not allow convienia.
find a vet that will prescribe doxycycline PILLS at least this has some chance of working...but I think the food change alone could work. sending some good wishes, keep us posted.

read this PLEASE.

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Cats/Just-Say-NO-To-Convenia-This-is-a-dangerous-drug/show/1865523
Hi and welcome!  I'm sorry you had to find us under these circumstances.  As Opus mentioned, I have a cat that has been diagnosed with Plasma Cell Pododermatitis.  I will try to help you out and answer any questions you may have.

Is it Plasma Cell Pododermatitis or just Pododermatitis (there is a difference)?  I would say it sounds like Plasma Cell because of the splitting of his pads.  I'm not really surprised that your Vet is shooting in the dark at this, it is a rare immune disease.

As I'm sure you have read in the past posts, my cat was on doxycycline.  I noticed his feet were starting to heal within the first few days of him being on it.  After that is when I added the supplements that Opus recommended.  I think it was a combination of the drugs, supplements and a good high quality diet (he's on Natural Balance Grain free recipes) that really helped him heal as nicely as he did.  He still has some pretty thick scars on his front pads but even those are starting to soften over time.

Talk to your Vet and make sure you get a feel for them, if they don't know what Podo is, make sure they are willing to do their homework on it.  It can be very difficult to treat and steroids are not always the best option.  If your Vet does recommend a steroid over an antibiotic, they are just lazy and it’s time to find a new one (in MY opinion).

Good luck to you and your boy Simon, please let us know what the outcome was of today’s Vet visit.
I agree with Opus 100%....if your vet doesn't want to listen to you, it is time for you to get a new vet!  Would you put up with that from your own personal doctor or your child's doctor?  I know I would not and since you are here on this forum looking for advise, it is clear you care very much about your kitty.  

Good luck!
thx for chiming in furmom....I hope these two posters return to read the comments..:((
Thank you for getting back with me! I spoke with the vet today and he is going to read up on podo... He was very willing to listen to what I had to say even to the point of giving me is email to send some links to him! Unfortunately the steroid he gave was convenia! I haven't had the chance to read about that yet, but will as soon as I finish my post. Simon has already started healing
Thank you for getting back with me! I spoke with the vet today and he is going to read up on podo... He was very willing to listen to what I had to say even to the point of giving me is email to send some links to him! Unfortunately the steroid he gave was convenia! I haven't had the chance to read about that yet, but will as soon as I finish my post. Simon has already started healing. As I am happy right now because he isn't hurting or bleeding and appears more comfortable my fear after reading all the posts is that it is going to be short lived! I will be taking him back to the vet in two weeks. Vet says that after he reads up on the condition and if Simon continues to do well then we won't do anything further, but if it was to come back then he would be willing to do the doxycycline! I can live with that at least he is willing to take the time to read on it and take my suggestions!

As far as Simons food or litter I have used the same food and litter for years. Nothing new in the house same floors, carpet, cleaning supplies etc.. As far as the wrapping of his paws none of what I did was prescribed by the vet. Surprisingly Simon didn't mind the wrapping after the first time. I think he just knew mommy was trying to help. I only left them on for about 12 hrs. After posting I removed them and bathed his paws to be sure to get the ointment off his paws. I did wrap them in hopes to help with the bleeding and give a cushion when he walked. As of right now his paws look 10 times better. The swelling is 90% gone. No more bleeding. We shall see what happens!

Again thanks for posting! I will keep you updated!
I am so happy to hear that Simon is doing better!  I’m also very happy to hear your Vet is willing to take the time to do some research and not just blow you off!

As you have prob read by now, convenia is an injectable, long term antibiotic.  It can be deadly for kitty’s cause of their metabolism.  Thankfully Simon seems to be ok with it but I wouldn’t risk it again.  I would recommend the doxycycline, he will be on it for several months but the results are worth the headache.  Just make sure you put Simon on a probiotic since he will be on the meds so long.  Just like us people, antibiotics are hard on their little bodies too.

My Scardy seems to be in “remission” for the time being.  He has been off his antibiotic for about 6 months now and his feet seem to be doing ok.

Keep us posted and let us know any new tips or advised you vet gives you, we are always open to suggestions here! :-)
I hope Simon is doing well. My cat, Spiderman, has pododermatitis and he is seeing a dermatologist vet specialist. We are three months into a diet change and doxycycline, which is being weaned to help build his immunity. His paw looks great and is basically completely healed after three years of trying to heal it. Spiderman likely has food allergies and cats are usually allergic to the proteins in the food, such as, chicken, fish, dairy, beef, pork, soy, wheat and corn. He is on green pea and duck from Natural Balance. The vet put him on a food with a protein he had never eaten, such as duck or venison. He is likely allergic to chicken and fish which he ate for years. I learned a cat can develop food allergies to the very proteins they have eaten for a long time. This finally seems to be the cure for him. I hope Simon does just as well.
hi Barbara...welcome, thanks so much for your informative post. I have read some info that Podo is a result of food allergies and I'm so glad to hear that a food change has made such a difference for Spiderman...wow its good to hear some good news once in a while!!!!...again thanks for letting us know and if you would keep us updated I would really appreciate that....♥
Hi D,

I never heard of this disease until this question was posted. Of course I had to look this up and found some surprising info that relates to a condition my cat has that affects the mouth--Stomatitis.

Apparently these 2 diseases are related because they are "immune mediated", so the immune system comes into play big time. One article I read said the Vet pulled two infected canine teeth, scaled the rest of the teeth of tarter, administered antibiotics and wrapped the paws for two weeks. There was still some tenderness of the paws but it seemed to resolve the issue.So it does affect the soft tissues.

I had to have all my cats teeth pulled to resolve the Stomatitis. That has been the only area that was affected. I can tell you this Immune system problems are "Bears" to deal with. Any Immune Mediated disease will be aggravated by

1-Steroid shots or meds
2-food with grain additives
3-STRESS

Also my cat takes Lysine twice daily for ulcers, just like humans. It helps the immune system.

Also the only dry food I will give her is Felidae--grain free Pure Sea--that is beacause she is also allergic to poultry . Her wet food is by Weruva--hard to get but Pure. as the driven snow, Her favorite is Mack and Jack .Tthese are all pure fish.

My husband thinks I am a crazy cat lady--I spend more on her food  than on ours. She also is at the doctors more then we are, that is why Pet Insurance is important to me.

Anyway we learn something everyday, and this site is the best I have found for resolving issues with great research on the part of everyone, especially Opus.

Even if you do not have a problem read it everyday,peomise you will learn something new and valuable to your Kit.

All the best.
CM  

My rescued cat Kloe was just diagnosed with plasma cell pododermatitis. When I first rescued her 2 years ago she had the mouth stomatitis so bad that she had to have all her teeth removed. She has done well up to now but her one paw pad is really swollen. The vet wanted to give her steroids and I said no. So he put her on the doxycycline and I asked about probiotics. He prescribed the fortiflora.  Do u know how that compares to the one u suggested from I herb. I believe that a better diet would help, but she is so fussy, I am worried I won't be able to get her to eat the food she likes with it in it, no less change her diet. Anything new out there?

sorry to hear abt your Kloe (darling name btw). I'm glad you refused the steroids and did get the Vet to doxycycline, it does work for abt 50% of kitties with Podo.
the fortiflora is a probiotic, also has lots of other vitamins and stuff...(not sure all of the content). its a good product but expensive...it does help to use this sprinkled over a new food or to get them eating if they are off their diet b/c most cats really like the taste of...Jade59 has recently just started her cat Jade on this to improve her appetite and she loves it.

If you want to order the one from iherb, its much cheaper...and it has many strains (12)  of pure probiotics but either will work.....to fight something like Podo it maybe the best option.

what is she on for a diet? as one member stated in a post above...it has alot to do with allergies and food intolerances...it would sure help if you could try her on a diet with a protien she has never eaten before, this is refered to as a 'novel protien' meaning its new to them and therefore they haven't developed an allergy to it. it would also be best if this CANNED food was grain/soy/wheat/corn FREE....they are all allergens.

Good pet stores have many brands that you can try....like the poster said vension is a real good option, however I have found many cats don't like it very well....

I will send you a link to Dr. Piersons site on how to transition cats off dry food, you can try the same tricks to transition them from one food to a new one....of any kind. she has some excellent suggestions. just remember do it slowly. start with 3/4 old food to 1/4 new food than gradually reduce the old and increase the new....good luck and let us know how its going for her:)

http://www.catinfo.org/docs/TipsForTransitioning1-14-11.pdf
Thank you! I have tried every "good" food in the pet stores. Even bought frozen raw food. Because she has no teeth she eats only canned moist food. Only likes salmon or tuna and I know that that isn't good. She only weighs 7.5 lbs. she is very tiny. Lots of people really feel the raw food cures everything. I feed her very small amounts several times a day because if I Give her too much she immediately throws it up. Like I said I hope I can even get her to finish the food that has the antibiotic in it. Walked away from the fortiflora tonight. I think I have my hands full.
well good for you, you are doing all the right things and taking care of little Kloe very well....bless you for doing that, it makes me cry to think of all the cats in shelters or on the streets who are in so much pain...:(

yes you have your hands full!!!...we 'know' the good foods and what we 'should' be doing but it always comes down to the cats has got to eat...and sometimes they hold us hostage!!!

when one of mine had to be taken off dry food 3 yrs ago....I too tried everything avail on the market, yes even the raw diets....he refused everything. as a very last resort I was forced to try and make him a homemade diet with something he liked...human food, pork or chicken PLUS all the needed supplements... it still took months to get him to 'like' it real well, but at least he was willing to try it ....so 3 years later I am still making this diet, his FLUTD is under control and he is very healthy.

that all being said, the second boy I have no matter what I did..(.and believe me I tried everything for a year.).. will NOT eat this homemade diet or any form of human food....NOR will he eat any of the 'good' brands of commercial food. but thank God he will at least eat canned food, unfortunately the junk brands...
But yes, the main thing is they must eat...so we must comply:)
Fish is not recommended as you know and is also extremely hard to get them off of once begun. I would highly recommend you add a Vit. E supplement in with it...but not now, lets deal with her taking the antibiotic and the probiotic first...add new stuff later.

its good that you feed tiny amounts several times a day....I too with mine, that is the normal way a cat eats...one of the reasons dry food got to be so popular.
they can only digest a small amount per feeding....

Is the antibiotic in liquid or capsule form? if she starts refusing her food another option is to give it via a dropper....if in capsule form, just open the cap and mix with a dab of water.
You can do the same with the probiotic if she won't take it in her food. the primal defense comes in powder form.

good luck and keep us posted on how she's doing ok....

Not a good day. Kloe threw up dinner last night with the antibiotic. Today I managed to get her to eat it this morning,but then she barely ate anything all day. Tried the probiotic in the tiniest amount and I think she smells it and walks away. Didn't use her litter box all day. I'm wondering if its because she ate so little or if the meds did something. Very strange! Tonight I didn't give her the meds just want her to eat something. I'm going to have her tested for worms, maybe there is an underlying problem. She had worms when I first rescued her the bad variety. Had to worm her twice until it was clear. I got an advertisement today from Mercola about a probiotic, maybe that one she would take. Kloe is still a little ferrel u can't just pick her up like other cats so administering things with a dropper is out of the question. She will run and hide all day.
I'm sorry to hear that, she is so tiny as it is besides no cats can go without eating their normal calorie intake..so she must eat.
doxycyclines most common side effect is nausea and vomiting....so its the medication since the vomiting is new and so is the med.

http://www.veterinarypartner.com/Content.plx?P=A&S=0&C=0&A=642

if you are concerned abt worms, just take a stool sample to your Vets for testing...you do not have to subject her to the trauma of a clinic visit....
but I caution you abt giving any additional meds unless absolutely necessary to an already upset tummy.

mercola's products are very good, you can also buy same at iherb and their shipping is usually much cheaper however I see mercola's site offers FREE shipping right now. the product itself is priced the same at either source. sure would be worth getting:)

http://www.iherb.com/Dr-Mercola-Complete-Probiotics-for-Pets-90-g/41880#cid=492&p=1&oos=1&disc=0&lc=en-US&w=complete%20probiotic%20for%20pets&rc=9&sr=null&ic=1

you will have to add less to start with to get Kloe used to it perhaps, although I have found it has very little taste so my cats don't appear to notice when I add the primal defense one, and my boys are very finicky with their food too.

keep a close eye on that litter box, could sure be b/c she ate nothing all day....but she should certainly go by today.
I took the sample to the vet today. I'm going to order the mercola product from iherb after I finish this. Mercolas  site to get free shipping u have to order 3 don't want to that until I know she will eat it. I'm waiting on the results of the stool sample before I start the doxycycline back up. If she has worms that treatment will have to come first. I lost my 14 yr old male cat this spring to cancer. He just stopped eating, tried everything to get him to eat, nothing worked. Cats can starve themselves to death. Keeping Kloe eating is my first priority. I feel like I'm in dejavu, with this eating thing. Thanks
As of 1-27-14, my cat has been cured of plasma cell pododermatatis. It's been over 4 years since his treatment with Atopica and the bleeding has not come back. He is now a happy and healthy cat. I would highly recommend to anyone who has a cat with this disease to use it. It worked when nothing else would.
How did u have to give the Atopica to the cat? Poor Kloe picked up an infection from the first trip to the vet. I had to give her Amoxicillin for two weeks. We had to put her in a spare room because we couldn't catch her. It took us an hour two times so we had to come up with plan B. It took the two of us to give the Amoxicillin twice a day. I have a prescription  for the doxycycline. 1/8 of a capsule 2x a day. Vet told me to put it in her food, but she is not a good eater and if she smells anything she walks away. How long was the cat on the Atopica? Was poor appetite part of this condition?
hi...thats the unfortunate part of putting any medication in a cats food...they will refuse to eat it!!! cats are very particular abt their food, if it smells different most won't even try and believe me they can sure smell medications!!!

Atopica is also in pill form and most cats have to be on it long term....it is a type of steroid so use only as a last resort. You could ask the Vet if the Doxy can be made up by a compound pharmacy into a gel form, than that way you only have to administer to the tip of the ear and the body absorbs....but IF it can be done with that med. it does make it more expensive, but a way around cats that are very hard to pill.

good luck
I tried the trans thermal gel in thyroid form for my old male cat, it was very ineffective and after awhile he would try and hide from me when he saw the gloved finger.  The amount of the doxycycline from the capsule is very small, only an 1/8 of a capsule 2x a day. I was thinking about  mixing it with some of the hair ball gel and putting it on the corners of her mouth so she licks it off. I'm giving her a week off after her two weeks on the amoxicillin and then I have to decide between the Atopica, doxycycline or steroids. I have read where sometimes it just goes into remission on its own.
thats too bad you found it was less effective in that form...oh yes they just 'know' when its time for meds don't they...
I have to do oral care on my Sami...and even taking the toothbrush out of the holder sends him running, I have to be very creative catching him first....lol

you could try that with the hair ball gel, but I do know some meds are very bitter. so she'll start to hide from the gel as well...but worth a try.

and I would highly recommend you try the doxy before atopica....steroids as the very last resort.
Thanx for your opinion !
I have to agree with Opus on this, use the Atopica as a last resort.  It is a newer drug and all the side effects are not really known.  My mother had her dog on Atopica for a short period of time, it did not end well.  

I had a local pharmacy put the doxy for my cat in treat form.  He resisted a little at first but we finally found a flavor he liked and giving him his meds was no issue at all.  He would actually come running to take them.
I am sorry to hear about your cat, but there is HOPE!  I adopted a cat with pododermatitis.  Her first owner gave her up when she found out about her illness.  So, I adopted her and made sure that she has a very safe, loving, and happy home.  Most importantly, I worked very hard with my cat specialist veterinarian to cure her.  I was very proactive about this.  I guess you can say that I am very stubborn and when there is a problem, I get determined to resolve it completely.  Now, about my cat, Angel:  She was in very bad shape when I brought her home.  Her paws were scary looking.  Her nail beds were black and oozing.  She had no energy and seemed very depressed.  She did NOT play with toys at all back then and she was a 7 month old kitten at the time!  I made sure to use a wheat litter, preferably Swheat Scoop.  It is easy on cats paws and the best litter I ever used.  At first, I cleaned her paws with an antibiotic and antifungal cream and hydrocortisone cream.  It helped a bit.  I also gave her cat benadryl which helped.  I took her to the vet, btw, please try to see a cat doctor at a cats only clinic.  They are much more knowledgeable about this disease.  My vet gave her a steroid shot and antibiotic shot which gave her some relief for 2 months.  Then, she was on prednisolone at 0.5 mg daily for close to a year.  This controlled the symptoms, but when I weaned her completely off, she started getting symptoms again.  My vet put her on Triamcinolone at a high dose for 6 months and then we slowly weaned her off over another 6 long months.  Angel is in full remission.  It has been a year since she has taken the Triamcinolone, which cured her.  Her paws are pink, firm, clean, and beautiful.  Her nail beds are normal too.  She is so playful now and chases my other cat all over the house and she is older.  It is so nice to see the change in her health and personality.  She is a totally different cat since the day I got her.  Please talk to your vet about Triamcinolone because it may cure your cat!  In the meantime, keep your cat comfortable by applying a hydrocortisone cream on her paws, cat Benadryl, Swheat Scoop cat litter, and cleanse the paws with a medicated shampoo weekly.  And, get her started on triamcinolone.  Good luck!
Greenies pill pockets. I would wait until he was hungry and feed him a pill inside one of these pockets. He always ate it.
thank you so much for posting and telling us of your experience with atopica...
yes it was originally manufactured for dogs but has been used off label for a few years for cats...
I am so glad it has worked so successfully for your kitty..Podo sounds like a very frustrating and stubborn disease to treat.
I am also glad you did try all other treatments first before resorting to atopica...its best used as a last resort.
Thanx so much for all the helpful information. After Kloe finished the Amoxicillin her paw looked a little better. I have gotten her off of all fish cat food. It has not been easy because fish was all she ate and you know how finicky cats can be. Because Kloe doesn't have any teeth she hasn't eaten dry food. While I have been switching her over I have supplemented the moist food with temptations treats. If I hand feed them to her she will eat them. I have bought every moist food on the market trying to find one that she would eat readily so that I could put the doxycycline in it.  So far nothing really strikes her fancy. I am feeding her the greenies pill pockets as treats with nothing in them to let her acquire a taste for them, slow going!! In the last few days she has really started to feel better. She is starting to scratch my furniture, she was never much of a scratcher. She doesn't hold her bad foot up anymore and is starting to run around. I was able to get a good look at her paw tonight and it looks a lot better! Yeah!  Maybe there is something to the food allergy connection. For the time being I am just doing watchful waiting, and trying to find the holy grail food that the doxycycline could be hidden in. The idea of the doxycycline cat treat sounds very interesting, what type of pharmacy would do that and what flavor did u find your cat liked best?  Is a cat only vet better than a dermatologist? Thanx again
So did he have surgery or just the Atopica? Mine is leaving blood everywhere she walks too.
Atopica 25mg with pill pockets. Initially twice a day. He would eat the chicken flavored pill pockets and not notice the pill. He still has scars on his feet, but the disease never returned. It's been over 4 years.
He had surgery
Hi Bosclo,
I've been reading posts on this Feline Plasma Cell Pododermatitus.
I decided to take a family members cat to the Vet because I thought he was suffering.

After they diagnosed this (they hadn't seen it themselves before) they gave him a shot (he's about 5 years old) and a treatment of pills for about a month.
prednisolone. he has all 4 paws, puffy but his right front grew what looked like a cherry on the pad. It was bleeding when I took him to the vet .  The condition happened 5 months ago but the family treated it with a sterile environment and kept him in a very large dog cage so not to exersize the pad.

I'm really curious about this drug that seemed to put your feline in remission.
The vets talked about surgically removing this cherry formation off his pad if it does not get smaller.

Aunty Victor
I rescued an adult male cat about 5 years old, that was diagnosed with this disease. after vet visits and lots of research, a radical change in his diet produced the best results. I struggled for 6 months with his addiction to grocery brand junk food. Finally he started to eat purina one, and from there I was able to move to organic canned food and no grain crunches. it took about three years to see consistent improvement. About every six months previously he needed anti-inflammatory meds, but for the past two years he has stopped favoring his feet and climbed a tree for the first time because his feet aren't hurting! they don't always look perfect, but he no longer shows any signs of pain and has not needed to visit the vet for this problem in about three years.