Cats Community
Vaccine Reaction

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet cats!

Vaccine Reaction

I have a neutered male cat who is about five years old.  When he got his annual vaccines (ENT-FVRC and FELV) last year, he had a somewhat negative reaction.  About 10 hours after the vaccines, he became extremely lethargic.  He would not get out of bed to eat dinner or to eat breakfast the next morning.  Because he had never reacted this way before, I called the vet, and he told me to bring him back in.  The vet gave him an antihistamine injection in case he was having an allergic reaction to the vaccines.  He was eating and back to normal several hours later.  The vet doesn't know whether the antihistamine helped or if he would have been fine anyway.

I am concerned about how he'll react to this year's vaccines.  I plan to have titer testing done to see what vaccines are necessary this year, but if he needs them could the reaction be worse than last year?  He does go outside (we found him roaming the neighborhood when we moved into our house, and he loved the outdoors too much for us to make him an indoor-only cat); so vaccines are necessary.  Thank you.
hi...I had a cat b4 that also had reactions from vaccines. she would bleed profusely frm the rectum. the following year my vet tried a different mixture(not sure what?)
and same but worse...she passed 2 large clots. I immediately took her back 2 vet and all he could thk it was is again a reaction of some sort.  his recommendation we d/c all vaccines with her, we were fairly safe in doing so as she was an 'indoor' pet....she was abt 4 at this time and I finally had to put her down at apprx 6 years old.
she had a lfetime history of IBS with blood in her stools (only) and defecation all over the house....I tried all my vet could recommend for years with no avail. prednisone did work but just for awhile..than she became ill and lethargic and I had no more options to help and had to put her down.
where this was associated with the reaction to the vaccine I don't know.. I hope you get some good answers...
I was told by Thomas the vet tech on this forum that all vac's except for rabies need only be given every 3 years...and that would sure be easier on all our pets.
good luck
My 1 year old cat had a vaccine reaction to her rabies shot last year. I was told from now on to bring her in early and they will give her a benydryl shot first and wait awhile before giving her the vaccine. She got the vaccine that's supposed to last 3 years so at least we won't have to take her back in. Still, I kind of dread it so I understand how you feel. Your vet needs to be aware of your cat's reaction and be ready to counter that the next time, possibly with a anti histamine first. You vet should know about that. Best wishes for you and your kitty!
Thankfully, adverse reactions to vaccines are fairly rare in our pets, but they are very worrisome when they do happen!

As opus said, all states in the US now recognize the option for veterinarians to administer a 3 yr rabies vaccine and the major veterinary organizations also recommend vaccinating no more frequently than 1x every 3 years for feline distemper and rabies (the core vaccines).   Unfortunately, because it is a killed type vaccine, feline leukemia needs to be boostered annually.

As others have said, premedicating with an antihistamine can be helpful.  Another option is to rotate the vaccines so that he doesn't receive all his "shots" at the same time.   This means more trips to the veterinarian for you, but it is much safer for the cat.  Titer testing is also helpful, but it has limitations as well.  A "high-titer" test doesn't necessarily mean that the cat will be able to fight off an infection, but a "low titer" doesn't mean he needs vaccinated either.

Its a complex, controversial, and confusing issue!!  My best advice is to do titer testing, if you need to vaccinate, premedicate, leave the kitty at the veterinarian for the day and space out the vaccines.

Hope this helps!!
Thank you all for the helpful advice.  I really appreciate the time you took to address my questions.  I think premedicating with Benadryl and spacing out the vaccines are excellent ideas, as is leaving him at the vet for observation after vaccinating.  Thanks again!
I gave my 3yr old tabby cat Samantha her yearly vaccinations on Monday and within minutes she began vomiting and losing her bowels all over the house. Since she tends to be a pukey cat- eats, vomits and eats again and also gets diarrhea very easily I wasn't alarmed at first but when it continued and she became increasingly anxious and running about the house I began to panic. My husband and I put her in the carrier and rushed her to a nearby ER vet clinic. By the time we were in the car and in route to the after hours vet, she was urinating in herself, very lethargic and breathing quickly and shallow. By the time we made it to the vet office- maybe ten minutes- her breathing was irregular, agonal and her eyes looked glazed over at times. I massaged her chest and held her paws begging her to hold on until we could get her some help. I ran to the front door of the vet and the tech met me, grabbing the carrier and rushing her to get fluids and oxygen started. After what felt like hours but was in reality maybe thirty minutes, the doc took us into a private room to tell us out beloved Sam had passed away. I couldn't hold back my anguish, I felt do guilty for giving her the shot... I sobbed and asked to hold her one last time. The doc told us that she had severe hemorrhaging in her lungs and her attempts to intubate were unsuccessful. I can't help but think losing SamSam is all my fault. I have given countless shots to my animals before with no problem whatsoever and Sam had gotten her shots two years in a row previously without any issues whatsoever. We opted not to do a necropsy to save her little body from being defiled and requested she be privately cremated do we could bury her on our property. I cannot stop thinking about what happened and how I feel her death is on my hands. The vet tried to convince us these things happen more often than we think but I can't find any other account of a reaction and death like this. I keep having nightmares and visions playing over of watching her gasp for air and stretching out her paw for my hand the last time I saw her alive. It is eating me up inside. Please advise, please give me something to help me let go of this turmoil. Sam Sam I am so sorry, I miss and love you terribly. Please forgive me
I am so sorry to read what your dear Samantha went thru.....it is not your fault, vaccines do pose a risk that all owners need to be aware of. thats not helpful after the fact tho is it...

She had a horrible reaction and a horrible end to her short life...poor little darling, you did all you could and had no idea this could be her fate. she was a loved little girl and you were with her to the end. please try and forgive yourself and remember the good times with her always.
She forgives you, she knows she was loved and this was not something you ever imagined could happen

RIP little Samantha‚ô•