Cats Community
Your litter box

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet cats!

Your litter box

Okay I have two kitties and we recently moved their litter boxes (just plain boxes) to the laundry room off of our kitchen. They were in our third story bathroom well away from our noses but we're moving our daughters up there to make room for the new baby coming. Needless to say I don't want my kids sleeping near the cat boxes. Being pregnant my sense of smell is very, very heightened so having them near the kitchen is not-so-fun either and I don't have anywhere else to move them.  

We use indoor kitty food that has curbed most of the smelly issues we had experienced at first. And we use Fresh Step which, in our opinion, is the best cat litter we have found (we have used just about every brand, including off-brands). So our next trial-and-error is to find a cat box that can help curb the smells and make cleaning easier, too. My poor pregnant nose needs some assistance!

So recommend your litter box! If you just love, love, love your self-cleaning box or covered box please recommend!
I have 2 cats, and we have 2 litter boxes for them (one upstairs, and one downstairs). The box we have looks more like a carry box you would use to take them to the vets...its has a bog hood over the top which clips on and off at the sides, for easy cleaning. We have noticed a huge difference in smells coming from them because the box...the also have to walk kinda deep into so everything is pretty much covered. It's a lot less messier too as not as much litter goes everywhere outside the box!
*big!
We currently have 4 cats and 4 litter boxes (two of the cats don't get along, so we keep them separated 2/2 between the house).  Right now my favorite box is a tall/deep box that fits quite a bit of litter- cleaning that large one clean once daily keeps the smell down.   There's even a slot up top for placing a filter, and I like to place coffee filters folded with baking soda into that slot.

You can also put extra baking soda into the actual litter to help curb the scent.  I buy a big bag at costco for cleaning purposes, so I just toss it in the litter sometimes (as long as it's clay or clumping.  I would imagine it's not so good with newspaper litter or things like that).

Personally I dislike the automatic litter boxes.  Seems like they would just terrify my cats with the sounds.
The so called self cleaning litter boxes are expensive and IMO worthless.  You still have to clean the area that the poop and clumps are raked to daily or the mechanisms jam up.  I find it easier to just use a regular box and  scoop them with a sifting scoop.  I do have hooded boxes, and I can't really say they cut down on the smell, but they do help minimize the amount of litter that my cats throw out of the box.  
Jade59 commented on spider6's status
Jade59 commented on Jade59's status
KTowne So I guess we will not be g... Comment