Cats Community
dialated pupils in cat and head tremor

This forum is for questions and support regarding your pet cats!

dialated pupils in cat and head tremor

My cat is a 2 year old spayed female she looks like a cross between a simese and a shorthair, some say she is a snowshoe. I got her from the shelter when she was about 10weeks old, she is strickly an indoor cat.   Her eyes stay dialated about 98% of the time, only when she is in direct sunlight do they go to slits, and sometimes even in the sunlight they stay dialated.  She also has a slight head tremor which comes and goes, it looks almost like a person who has parkinson's disease.  I brought her to my vet about a year ago to check her eyes and he said she can see, I knew she can see because she will chase a fly all over the house with great accuracy.  I am worried that the combination of the dialated pupils and the head tremor could mean something serious.  I feel my vet is competent and maybe I over react when I notice something unusual with my fur babies.  I don't want to put her through any unneccesary test and cause her that stress unless it can be something serious.  Anyone with any info or advice please respond.  Thanks Char.
My best guess is that the head tremors is totally unrelated.  The head tremor, I've personally seen when a cat has had a fever(infection or virus), or possible poisoning.  How is your cat acting?  Anything different?  Appetite, breathing, litter box habbits?  Is she fixed?  I would get her to a vet, and wouldn't gamble that it's something simple that'll go away on its own.  Better safe than sorry!!

Maybe somone else has got more ideas-hopefully they'll respond soon.
Has she been tested for Toxoplasmosis? It causes retinal disfunction/permanent dilatation. It also causes the head to wobble, or tilt. Its not a big deal if she has it, treatable/manageable, but it is a concern for other cats, pregnant women, etc.

Take a trip back to the vet and tell them about the wobbling along with the eyes.. Have her tested for Toxo and anything else they recommend, usually FeLV, and FIV. Neurological symptoms are one thing never to ignore.. Good luck!
If the cat has dilated pupils when the sunlight hits her directly then I gotta say to me it is not common. Head tremors may be caused by brain diseases. Make sure she isn't having seizures. Encephalitis causes dilated pupils and seizures. By te same talking, cats who suffer from seizures tend to have muscle tremors. I agree with the above posts. Take her back to the vet, or get a second opinion if possible, and ask about these things we've mentioned. It is always better to be safe than to be sorry. Better to stress the cat if it means it'll safe her life.

Good Luck.

Thanks for all the replies, I will call the vet first thing in the morning.  She is neutered,  She has had no change in eating habits or litterbox habits.  She seems the same as she allways been.  
No problem at all, we love to help!!  Please let us know what the vet says.

Good luck